[Guide] Multi Boot Note 3 (Video Guide Added)

Search This thread

54NJ41

Jan 21, 2010
Gods own country
[Guide] Multi Boot Note 3 (Updated 24/07/2015)

*** Hi Guys i no longer have a note 3 so i cant do any testing but our team member is here to give support for you all and even im here to give support except testing. please contact @danerrickcuba@gmail.com and @djnim for support.***

I am using this on SM-N9005 Snapdragon Variant of the Note 3; I believe this will work with other Note 3 Variants as well. Few of them are already tested and you can find them below. Others who have different variants which are not tested can try this and update us, and we will be here to help you out if you are ready to try this out.

@chenxiaolong is the one who made this happen to our beloved Note 3

Main advantage of this is you can try any new rom with out loosing or having any kind of trouble with your existing rom. This mod will not change anything in your primary rom, so any time you can go back to your normal state.

Disclaimer
1.I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,etc.
2.Before going further! YOU are choosing to make these modifications.

supported Devices: ( Tested and confirmed working)
SM-N9005 (International Qualcomm): hlte (Tested by me ):D
SM-N900T (T-Mobile US): hltetmo (Tested by @MistaEast ) confirmation post
SM-N900R4 (US Cellular): hlteusc (Tested by @harshal10398 ) confirmation post
SM-N900 (International Exynos): ha3g (Tested by @mohnishkat ) confirmation post
SM-N900P (Sprint): hltespr (Tested by @lord dredd ) confirmation post
SM-N900K(Korean): (Tested by @Premananda_laishram) confirmation post

Requirements
* Read the full guide before Starting.
* Backup your phone if you are doing this first time. (Full Nandroid backup recommended for the new comers and it’s also recommended to others who don’t know what they are doing exactly even if they have multi booted several times)
* Rooted Note 3 with custom recovery (preferred TWRP or philz).

* free space in your internal SD (for example a Cm based roms take up to 2.5GB to 3.5GB and a TW roms take up to 5GB or more.)
* If you face any trouble please read the FAQ before doing something or asking for help. And if you want help please provide as much as details(device, roms, etc.) you can.

Instruction:

1.Download your desired Rom which you want to use for multi booting and the mods, addons, gapps, Kernel etc for the same. Keep the files in your internal memory.
2. Download the most recent snapshot release of Dual Boot Patcher and install it on your Note 3.
3. Open Dual Boot Patcher and grant SU permission. Then go to ROMS and you will see your Primary rom, press the 3dotmenu key and click "set kernel". If it fail to set kernal please read the FAQ.
4. Then In Dual Boot Patcher go to Patch Zip File and Choose hlte for snapdragon variant and ha3g for Exynos veriant (Samsung Galaxy Note 3) from the drop down menu.
5. In the second drop down menu select "Data Slot".
6. Below that you have to enter the ID of the secondary rom.(Example 1, 2, 3, etc. - it will take it as /data/multiboot/data-slot-1)
7.Now tap on the below button to choose the ROM's, Gapps, Kernel and mods to patch them and make them perfect for Multi booting.
8. Always remember to keep same slot ID for the Gapps, kernels and mods same as the rom. (Example: if you want to flash the gapps/kernel to the data-slot-1 rom then you have to select the same ID that’s 1 or if you want to flash the gapps/kernel to the data-slot-2 rom then you have to select the same ID that’s 2.)
9. When selecting the files except cm rom zip there will be a “preset” drop down menu, from that you have to select according to the file you are going to patch. (Examp: for roms, kernels, mods, addons – custom; for gapps – Google_Apps; for Su zip – other/SuperSu; For xposed-Other/Xposed)
10. Now press the tap to begin patching button to patch the file. And you will get a new patched zip file in the same location.
11. Now Boot into custom recovery and flash the new patched file and reboot.
12. And your device will boot into New Rom.
13.Install the Dual Boot Patcher app and set the kernel for your second ROM as well.
14. To switch between roms
•Open Dual Boot Patcher app/roms and click on primary or secondary rom as you like and reboot.
•Or Use Swap Roms to switch between Roms.
* Important things to keep in mind: while installing a rom or mod with Aroma installer don't reboot directly from the aroma.
You have to always uncheck the last option to reboot in aroma and click finish. So it can finish the final steps for multi booting.
And if you miss that it will only reboot to recovery. To boot back you have to flash your primary rom kernel or re-flash the patched rom.

Never update a secondary rom through OTA Update.

*. For other devices:
1. You have to download and install X-plore File Manager (which I am using) from play store.
2. Open X-plore File Manager from app drawer and navigate to the patched zip file and open it.
3. Now you will see a folder named multiboot inside that you will find info.prop, now open info.prop with the text editor which comes with the x-plore file manager.

• And then find and change mbtool.installer.ignore-codename=false to mbtool.installer.ignore-codename=true

Revert

To revert back or if you face any problem just flash my Multi Boot cleaner.zip which will wipe all the installation files from \system and restore the primary rom kernel.

As a backup keep a copy of your kernel flashable zip file.

FAQ
1. I can't set the primary rom kernel in xyz rom. And I can’t switch to other rom in primary rom.
Ans. Just download the set kernel fix as per your model and flash it in the recovery.

The above fix only work for primary rom. If you have trouble with any other roms just add ro.patcher.device=hlte(for other models add your model instead of hlte) to the bottom of build.prop of that rom and you are good to go.

If you don’t know how to do that just pm me and I will make a flash able zip to add it to your secondary rom.

if the above didnt work Read this post please
2. App sharing?
Ans. Until now no luck. (Still under testing)
3. This rom can’t be patched.
Ans. some roms are not supported its known, if the Dev have time may be he will consider including them.
Also read this

Credits/ Thanks:
@chenxiaolong
Original Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45659284
Don't forget to thank him and if you can please consider a small donation for him because he really deserve it.

@aukhan & Team Emotroid
His Thread (Where I got the idea and help to make this guide): http://xdaforums.com/note-4/general/dual-boot-n910f-snap-dragon-variant-t3065211

@rlorange for the help and support.
His thread for Dual boot backup and restore app. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2491299, http://xdaforums.com/note-4/orig-development/20-4-15-multi-boot-backup-restore-v1-0-t3087187

@AholicCert for helping me with some scripts

@ other XDAmembers

Video Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upeSC65t5XQ

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-24-18-29-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-24-18-29-55.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 27,707
  • Screenshot_2015-04-24-18-30-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-24-18-30-19.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 27,473
  • Screenshot_2015-04-24-18-35-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-24-18-35-17.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 29,571
  • Screenshot_2015-07-24-11-23-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-11-23-35.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 61,543
  • Screenshot_2015-07-24-11-23-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-11-23-57.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 61,195
  • Screenshot_2015-07-24-11-24-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-11-24-16.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 59,983
  • Screenshot_2015-07-24-11-24-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-11-24-59.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 60,298
  • Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-35-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-35-03.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 59,200
  • Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-37-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-37-17.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 59,349
  • Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-38-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-38-12.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 58,145
  • Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-38-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-38-24.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 56,919
  • Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-45-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-45-31.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 55,131
  • Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-45-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-45-48.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 54,756
  • ha3g_kernel_set_fix.zip
    178 KB · Views: 1,680
  • hlte_kernel_set_fix.zip
    178 KB · Views: 3,473
  • hltespr_kernel_set_fix.zip
    178 KB · Views: 471
  • hltetmo_kernel_set_fix.zip
    178 KB · Views: 705
  • hlteusc_kernel_set_fix.zip
    178 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

54NJ41

Jan 21, 2010
Gods own country
tried on my 4.4.4 vn rom-set kernel-failed to set kernel.. :confused:

1. First of all have you grant super user permission for Dual Boot Patcher. If not just reboot and try again.
2. Do you have enough space in your sdcard (internal) for the backup of the kernel.
3. Just check if there is sdcard/multiboot/primary/boot.img is their.
4. Try the 8.0.0.r1119.g9c51715 version of dual boot patcher if the above didn’t help.

vagenrider

Sep 25, 2012
athens
1. First of all have you grant super user permission for Dual Boot Patcher. If not just reboot and try again.
2. Do you have enough space in your sdcard (internal) for the backup of the kernel.
3. Just check if there is sdcard/multiboot/primary/boot.img is their.
4. Try the 8.0.0.r1119.g9c51715 version of dual boot patcher if the above didn’t help.

tried all mate but nothing.. :rolleyes:

thermax04

Nov 26, 2010
you said:
Download and keep your desired (Secondary Rom) CM or AOSP rom + Gapps zip files

the second must be CM or AOSP?
what about if i want to use Arya and Omega roms for example?

54NJ41

Jan 21, 2010
Gods own country

I have tried the rom but same result as yours. But don’t worry I have an alternative way to set the kernel for your primary rom.

First make folders in your SDCard, “MultiBoot” in it “Primary” it should be like: Sdcard/MultiBoot/Primary

Then extract the boot.img from your rom zip and copy it to Sdcard/MultiBoot/Primary

So the result will be Sdcard/MultiBoot/Primary/boot.img

It’s done.

Reactions: Rosli59564

54NJ41

Jan 21, 2010
Gods own country
does anyone knows how i could get more system partition space?
I tried to use titanium backup to move some apps but it says my system is 2.38gb full

To make space in your system partition.

1. Delete what ever apps you are not using from system/app and syatem/priv-app (Don’t delete if you don’t know what it is or what your are doing.)
Example: shealth, etc.
2. Move some google apps from /system/app to /data/app to make them user app using root explorer.
Example: maps, gmail, chrome, etc.

54NJ41

Jan 21, 2010
Gods own country
you said:
Download and keep your desired (Secondary Rom) CM or AOSP rom + Gapps zip files

the second must be CM or AOSP?
what about if i want to use Arya and Omega roms for example?

To dual boot two TW roms is very hard. Because there is not enough space to fit both system file in your system partition. Other wise you have to deboalt the primary rom and you have to deboalt secondary rom zip before flashing. And by doing so you will lose most of the features of your TW roms.

And if you want to use CM as primary and TW rom as secondary its possible but not recommended. Because you will have trouble with flashing mods etc for your TW rom.

The better option at the moment is to keep the TW rom as Primary and others a secondary.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide] Multi Boot Note 3 (Updated 24/07/2015)

*** Hi Guys i no longer have a note 3 so i cant do any testing but our team member is here to give support for you all and even im here to give support except testing. please contact @danerrickcuba@gmail.com and @djnim for support.***

I am using this on SM-N9005 Snapdragon Variant of the Note 3; I believe this will work with other Note 3 Variants as well. Few of them are already tested and you can find them below. Others who have different variants which are not tested can try this and update us, and we will be here to help you out if you are ready to try this out.

@chenxiaolong is the one who made this happen to our beloved Note 3

Main advantage of this is you can try any new rom with out loosing or having any kind of trouble with your existing rom. This mod will not change anything in your primary rom, so any time you can go back to your normal state.

Disclaimer
    1.I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,etc.
    2.Before going further! YOU are choosing to make these modifications.

supported Devices: ( Tested and confirmed working)
    SM-N9005 (International Qualcomm): hlte (Tested by me ):D
    SM-N900T (T-Mobile US): hltetmo (Tested by @MistaEast ) confirmation post
    SM-N900R4 (US Cellular): hlteusc (Tested by @harshal10398 ) confirmation post
    SM-N900 (International Exynos): ha3g (Tested by @mohnishkat ) confirmation post
    SM-N900P (Sprint): hltespr (Tested by @lord dredd ) confirmation post
    SM-N900K(Korean): (Tested by @Premananda_laishram) confirmation post

Requirements
    * Read the full guide before Starting.
    * Backup your phone if you are doing this first time. (Full Nandroid backup recommended for the new comers and it’s also recommended to others who don’t know what they are doing exactly even if they have multi booted several times)
    * Rooted Note 3 with custom recovery (preferred TWRP or philz).

* free space in your internal SD (for example a Cm based roms take up to 2.5GB to 3.5GB and a TW roms take up to 5GB or more.)
    * If you face any trouble please read the FAQ before doing something or asking for help. And if you want help please provide as much as details(device, roms, etc.) you can.

Instruction:

1.Download your desired Rom which you want to use for multi booting and the mods, addons, gapps, Kernel etc for the same. Keep the files in your internal memory.
    2. Download the most recent snapshot release of Dual Boot Patcher and install it on your Note 3.
    3. Open Dual Boot Patcher and grant SU permission. Then go to ROMS and you will see your Primary rom, press the 3dotmenu key and click "set kernel". If it fail to set kernal please read the FAQ.
    4. Then In Dual Boot Patcher go to Patch Zip File and Choose hlte for snapdragon variant and ha3g for Exynos veriant (Samsung Galaxy Note 3) from the drop down menu.
    5. In the second drop down menu select "Data Slot".
    6. Below that you have to enter the ID of the secondary rom.(Example 1, 2, 3, etc. - it will take it as /data/multiboot/data-slot-1)
    7.Now tap on the below button to choose the ROM's, Gapps, Kernel and mods to patch them and make them perfect for Multi booting.
    8. Always remember to keep same slot ID for the Gapps, kernels and mods same as the rom. (Example: if you want to flash the gapps/kernel to the data-slot-1 rom then you have to select the same ID that’s 1 or if you want to flash the gapps/kernel to the data-slot-2 rom then you have to select the same ID that’s 2.)
    9. When selecting the files except cm rom zip there will be a “preset” drop down menu, from that you have to select according to the file you are going to patch. (Examp: for roms, kernels, mods, addons – custom; for gapps – Google_Apps; for Su zip – other/SuperSu; For xposed-Other/Xposed)
    10. Now press the tap to begin patching button to patch the file. And you will get a new patched zip file in the same location.
    11. Now Boot into custom recovery and flash the new patched file and reboot.
    12. And your device will boot into New Rom.
    13.Install the Dual Boot Patcher app and set the kernel for your second ROM as well.
    14. To switch between roms
    •Open Dual Boot Patcher app/roms and click on primary or secondary rom as you like and reboot.
    •Or Use Swap Roms to switch between Roms.
    * Important things to keep in mind: while installing a rom or mod with Aroma installer don't reboot directly from the aroma.
    You have to always uncheck the last option to reboot in aroma and click finish. So it can finish the final steps for multi booting.
    And if you miss that it will only reboot to recovery. To boot back you have to flash your primary rom kernel or re-flash the patched rom.

Never update a secondary rom through OTA Update.

*. For other devices:
    1. You have to download and install X-plore File Manager (which I am using) from play store.
    2. Open X-plore File Manager from app drawer and navigate to the patched zip file and open it.
    3. Now you will see a folder named multiboot inside that you will find info.prop, now open info.prop with the text editor which comes with the x-plore file manager.

• And then find and change mbtool.installer.ignore-codename=false to mbtool.installer.ignore-codename=true

Revert

To revert back or if you face any problem just flash my Multi Boot cleaner.zip which will wipe all the installation files from \system and restore the primary rom kernel.

As a backup keep a copy of your kernel flashable zip file.

FAQ
    1. I can't set the primary rom kernel in xyz rom. And I can’t switch to other rom in primary rom.
    Ans. Just download the set kernel fix as per your model and flash it in the recovery.

The above fix only work for primary rom. If you have trouble with any other roms just add ro.patcher.device=hlte(for other models add your model instead of hlte) to the bottom of build.prop of that rom and you are good to go.

If you don’t know how to do that just pm me and I will make a flash able zip to add it to your secondary rom.

if the above didnt work Read this post please
    2. App sharing?
    Ans. Until now no luck. (Still under testing)
    3. This rom can’t be patched.
    Ans. some roms are not supported its known, if the Dev have time may be he will consider including them.
    Also read this

Credits/ Thanks:
    @chenxiaolong
    Original Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45659284
    Don't forget to thank him and if you can please consider a small donation for him because he really deserve it.

@aukhan & Team Emotroid
    His Thread (Where I got the idea and help to make this guide): http://xdaforums.com/note-4/general/dual-boot-n910f-snap-dragon-variant-t3065211

@rlorange for the help and support.
    His thread for Dual boot backup and restore app. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2491299, http://xdaforums.com/note-4/orig-development/20-4-15-multi-boot-backup-restore-v1-0-t3087187

@AholicCert for helping me with some scripts

@ other XDAmembers

Video Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upeSC65t5XQ
    Going to try it mate tnx

Welcome try it and let us know.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app
    good news i have installed three roms and all working fine(Check the SS). i have S6 rom as primary, CM as 2nd, again S6 as 3rd rom:D.

for app shearing i have to test now the S6 rom is not allowing me to set kernel and even sharing apps. so i will flash some other rom and test the app sharing and let you know. again a big thanks to the dev @chenxiaolong please consider buying a beer for him and he really deserve it.

for the moment i will give you a small guide for installing to the data partition.

for this you dont need to debloat the primary rom and you can even install multiple TW roms.

for that set up your primary rom and set your kernel.
    then download and install the latest Dual Boot Patcher
    then while patching the roms choose your device from the first drop down list.
    in the second drop down list select "data slot" and it will ask you for ID their you have to enter the number of the rom for example 1, 2, 3, etc. so it will become data-slot-1, data-slot-2, and so on. do the same for the Gapps and mods etc. and choose the proper ID for the gapps and mods for the specific rom or it will flash to other location and you will have trouble.

after patching flash the patched rom in recovery thats it. one important thing if you are flashing a rom with Aroma don't reboot the phone from Aroma. just untick the reboot option in the end of the installation process and press the finish button. so it will take you back to the recovery to do the last modification for the multi boot. after that you can reboot from the recovery. otherwise your device will only reboot into the recovery.

you can install as much as rom until your internal memory finishes.

for example a Cm based roms take up to 2.5GB to 3.5GB and a TW roms take up to 5GB or more.

have fun and let us know:D.

don't forget to thank the dev for his hard work and his valuable time. original thread

i will update the OP soon after testing the app sharing.
    Guys there is a good news

Now we can install more than two roms and no need to debolt the primary rom, also you can even install two TW roms.

Testing going on soon I will update the guide.
    Hi, im using Darklord s6 beta 2 with arter97 kernel and i get 'failed to set kernel' message. I dont have boot.img in MultiBoot folder in internal storage. And I have tried making folder with boot.img from rom on sd card but it did not work.

Can someone else try dual booting the S6 port??
    I really like that ROM... @54NJ41 , can you?

tried on my 4.4.4 vn rom-set kernel-failed to set kernel..

hi guys i have tested the S6 beta 2 and for dual booting with it you have to set the primary kernel manually for that First make a folder in your SDCard, “MultiBoot” in it “Primary” it should be like: Sdcard/MultiBoot/Primary

Then extract the boot.img from your rom zip and copy it to Sdcard/MultiBoot/Primary

So the result will be Sdcard/MultiBoot/Primary/boot.img

for example for the stock kernel of s6 beta 2 just copy the kernel from the zip file /darkera13/device/(your devise)n3_n9005/boot.img
    or for dark queen copy the boot_DarkQueen.img and rename it to boot.img

after that every thing is same as in the guide: set up your secondary rom and set the secondary rom kernel.
    Switching back to primary rom is normal but to boot back to secondary rom (every time) you have to flash this file in recovery and reboot.

for booting to new data slots please let me know the ID of your second/third rom so i will make a flashable file to boot back to it.
    NOW:
    Boot to primary
    Boot to slot 1