ASKS v1.2 security and new kernel issues

Search This thread

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Well to assist with peeps installing new Samsung Kitkat firmwares released this year, I made a quick list of odd issues that will pop up with rooting.

The new kernal will not allow titanium backup to find su. I use super su, so depending on which su you use, you may be able to operate titanium backup.

My fix, custom kernel.

Smanager fails to use rw permissions in terminal, though you can set rw permissions in advanced.

I removed asks packages, as with knox packages, so as far as I can tell asks v1.2 has no effect and is a bridge to selinux and knox.

Will try using busybox pro intead of a generic busybox with smanager, but feel the issue is within the app its self.

Will end up using jack term as a work around, until smanger is updated.

Would like to see titanium backup updated as well. So I can use the stock kernel and be happy this Kitkat is the best and most secure without the vulnerability issues still being addressed with newer builds of amdroid.

Found I get a wee better speeds, not just by the kernel replacement, but possibley from fixes done and tuning of this build.

If I find anything new I will add, but xposed and its modules seems bug free with is new kitkat.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Ok, I found the issue with term usage with rw permission.

You must use the mount remount command when at a terminal session. Unless your terminal app has a command toggle or macro to perform the proper command without typing.

Remember to also do the mount remount command for ro to close the rw session.

Everything else seems good to go. The new security seems more in tune to linux with apps needing to be more careful with setting permissions through the system perameters.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Looks like Samsung is making headway with blocking Google apps... starting with Chrome browser. Using Boeffla kernel on 4.4.2 you must use a script to make selinux passive. Never had to do that with any kernel running bare without a kernel manager before.