Root for the USA Snapdragon Samsung Galaxy Note 8! (N950U,N950U1,N950W)
WARNING! The latest Note8 software update(U4XXXX) blocks samFail(All carriers.). DO NOT UPDATE IF YOU WANT ROOT!
SamFAILv3 Has been Released There is an addititonal step in Part 1 for V3 ONLY.
Bootloader check guide(Green can be rooted, Red can not be rooted)
Last 6 of firmware version(X can be different):
U2XXXX or S2XXXX=Bootloader V2
U3XXXX or S3XXXX=Bootloader V3
U4XXXX or S4XXXX=Bootloader V4
U5XXXX or S5XXXX=Bootloader V5
Disclaimer 1: Although this method does not trip the "Knox Flag" you are still taking a risk by rooting your device. We are not responsible for your blazing fast smartphone with root! Let's hope this one doesn't catch on fire!
DISCLAIMER 1.5: THIS IS NOT FOR EXYNOS OR CHINESE MODELS!
First and foremost, SHOUTOUTS!
- @partcyborg for finding the root method!
- @me2151 for testing on Note 8 and facilitating root on the Note 8!
- @elliwigy for... Shenanigans! And thread template
- @jrkruse For the deodexed system!
- @Chainfire He will be missed! (no he is not dead, just retired.)
- Samsung for the amazing phone and leaving rediculous loopholes open for us to root!
Disclaimer 2: The method to root should be pretty straight forward as the hard work has already been done for you. With that being said, you will need to know how to download files from the internet, extract a zip file and to use ODIN. That is basically it! Oh yea, BACK UP YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE AS THIS WILL ERASE IT! PLEASE BE SURE TO READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS THOROUGHLY BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP!
- SamFAIL Note 8 Pre-Rooted System.tar/PIT File Zip (in Post #2)
- SamFAIL Note 8 PART 2 Firmware Zip (also in Post #2)
- Comsey ODIN and Normal ODIN (Found in Post #2 Aswell)(Normal ODIN is just in case)
- Well your Note 8 of course, Need to be by a PC and ready to use Download Mode!
Part 1 Instructions:
IF YOU ARE ON U3(Rev3) bootloader you must Flash SamFAILv3_N8_FIRMWARE first THEN do part 1 THEN part 2 again. This IS a requirement. Not optional. Otherwise for U1 and U2 proceed as normal.
1) Unzip the SamFAIL Note 8 Pre-Rooted System.tar and PIT File to your PC.
2) Have Comsey ODIN up and ready. Place your Note 8 into Download Mode and Connect to PC
3) In the AP slot, select the Pre-Rooted system.tar.
4) Now go to the PIT tab(Click OK or close on the warning box) and click and navigate to the PIT file you also just downloaded and select it.
5) On the OPTIONS tab, you will select the following: Auto Reboot, F. Reset Time, NAND ERASE ALL, and Re-Partition.
6) Once you have everything in place and the correct options selected, press START.
7) ODIN will say FAIL at the end of the flash and the phone will have rebooted to upload mode saying "Unknow Error". Don't fret however, the system should have still been written!
8) You will have to get the phone back into Download mode( Hold Power, VOL- and bixby together and the phone will reboot to download mode and tell you its in emergency mode. THIS IS NORMAL.) and then proceed to Part 2 Instructions!
Basic ODIN flashing here guys... Not rocket science!
Part 2 Instructions:
1) Download and Extract the SamFAIL Note 8 Part 2 Firmware Zip to your PC
2) Click Reset in Comsey ODIN or close it out and re-open it so it is COMPLETELY cleared out
3) Now select the firmware. BL goes in BL, AP goes in AP, CP goes in CP, dont press start yet!
4) Now, this time we ARE NOT SELECTING A PIT FILE, We should just select Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. DO NOT DO NAND ERASE ALL OR YOU WILL HAVE TO START OVER.
5) Once you got the partitions in place and the right options selected, Press Start!
7) Once phone boots up, Setup your device as normal and proceed to the SuperSU app. It may ask you to update the SU Binary. Select Normal method and let it do its thing. Follow its instructions then SU should say it was Successful in updating and it needs to reboot(You may have to do it multiple times. I believe its 2 or 3 times then its good) ENJOY SamFAIL ROOT!
* SamFAIL DOES NOT TRIP KNOX
* Boot.img is SECURE which means you MUST use SYSTEM ROOT. (Similar to SamPWND)
* This means that MAGISK DOES NOT WORK
* Which also means SAFETY NET FAILS. So any apps you enjoy that require passing Safety Net will most likely not work while you are rooted with SamFAIL
* Again, similar to SamPWND, this root method uses a factory binary boot.img which is necessary to boot the modified system. THIS MEANS BATTERY ONLY CHARGES TO 80% (Thanks Samsung.)
* SamFAIL DOES NOT UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER AND DOES NOT SIM UNLOCK YOUR PHONE.
* This *should* in theory, work for other Snapdragon Models of the Note 8. If you have another model and are successful please post so we can add "support" for other models.
Back to Stock?
- Download the full STOCK firmware of your choice.
- Flash it in ODIN/Comsey ODIN as you would any other time!
- It will take a few reboots for the "custom" splash screen to go away.
- Screen sometimes will be bugged out. Fix by turning screen off and back on. Caused by Factory boot files.
- Possibility of Bixby Home crashing.
- SuperSU may ask you to update it multiple times.
As always, the devs have been hard at work recently to bring you root. Donations are definitely NOT REQUIRED but if you feel generous and want to spot the devs a few bucks for their hard work you can donate to this Paypal Address:
DOWNLOADS will be in POST #2
UPDATES will be in POST #3
As always, ENJOY ROOT and thank SamFAIL for making it all possible!
Telegram Group has been closed.
P.S. See why we called it SamFAIL now? Massive fail on Samsungs part.
SamFAIL, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (2017 Phone)
me2151, partcyborg, elliwigy, jrkruse
Current Beta Version: V2
Last Updated 2018-08-09