Root for the USA Snapdragon Samsung Galaxy Note 8! (N950U)
Disclaimer 1: Although this method does not trip the "Knox Flag" you are still taking a risk by rooting your device. We are not responsible for your blazing fast smartphone with root! Let's hope this one doesn't catch on fire!
DISCLAIMER 1.5: THIS IS NOT FOR EXYNOS!
First and foremost, SHOUTOUTS!
- @partcyborg for finding the root method!
- @me2151 for testing on Note 8 and facilitating root on the Note 8!
- @elliwigy for... Shenanigans! And thread template
- @Chainfire He will be missed! (no he is not dead, just retired.)
- @samsung for the amazing phone and leaving rediculous loopholes open for us to root!
Disclaimer 2: The method to root should be pretty straight forward as the hard work has already been done for you. With that being said, you will need to know how to download files from the internet, extract a zip file and to use ODIN. That is basically it! Oh yea, BACK UP YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE AS THIS WILL ERASE IT! PLEASE BE SURE TO READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS THOROUGHLY BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP!
- SamFAIL Note 8 Pre-Rooted System.tar/PIT File Zip (in Post #2)
- SamFAIL Note 8 PART 2 Firmware Zip (also in Post #2)
- Comsey ODIN and Normal ODIN (Found in Post #2 Aswell)(Normal ODIN is just in case)
- Well your Note 8 of course, Need to be by a PC and ready to use Download Mode!
- The CSC file for your phone(also in Post #2)(NOTE: You MUST use the CSC matching your device or your network will not function correctly. If your CSC is not in the downloads section you must download your devices firmware and extract the CSC from it and use that one.)
- fsck.ext4 for fixing system afterward.(Post #2)
Part 1 Instructions:
1) Unzip the SamFAIL Note 8 Pre-Rooted System.tar and PIT File to your PC.
2) Have Comsey ODIN up and ready. Place your Note 8 into Download Mode and Connect to PC
3) In the AP slot, select the Pre-Rooted system.tar.
4) Now go to the PIT tab(Click OK or close on the warning box) and click and navigate to the PIT file you also just downloaded and select it.
5) On the OPTIONS tab, you will select the following: Auto Reboot, F. Reset Time, NAND ERASE ALL, and Re-Partition.
6) Once you have everything in place and the correct options selected, press START.
7) ODIN will say FAIL at the end of the flash. Don't fret however, the system should have still been written!
8) You will have to get the phone back into Download mode( Hold Power, VOL- and bixby together and the phone will reboot to upload mode(or download mode, one or the other) then Release and hold the same buttons and it will load to download mode And tell you its in emergency mode. THIS IS NORMAL.) and then proceed to Part 2 Instructions!
Basic ODIN flashing here guys... Not rocket science!
Part 2 Instructions:
1) Download and Extract the SamFAIL Note 8 Part 2 Firmware Zip and your CSC to your PC
2) Click Reset in Comsey ODIN or close it out and re-open it so it is COMPLETELY cleared out
3) Now select the firmware. BL goes in BL, AP goes in AP, CP goes in CP and CSC goes in CSC, dont press start yet!
4) Now, this time we ARE NOT SELECTING A PIT FILE, We should just select Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. DO NOT DO NAND ERASE ALL OR YOU WILL HAVE TO START OVER.
5) Once you got the partitions in place and the right options selected, Press Start!
6) The phone will reboot to recovery. THIS IS WHERE THE ONLY ISSUE WILL HAPPEN. If you see ANYWHERE ON THE SCREEN "Failed to mount /system(Invalid Argument)" You need to start over from the beginning, but you SHOULDN'T get the error if you followed the directions properly(There are a couple ways to do this. If you have to try again try flashing the BL and the System with the same flags HOWEVER add the Flash bootloader update flag too. then for step 2 only flash the ap,cp and csc with the same flags then also add the flash bootloader update flag.). From there push the power button to select "Reboot to system".
7) Once phone boots up, Setup your device as normal and proceed to the SuperSU app. It will ask you to update the SU Binary. Select Normal method and let it do its thing. A popup should show up to disable KNOX. Follow its instructions then SU should say it was Successful in updating and it needs to reboot(You may have to do it multiple times. I believe its 2 or 3 times then its good) ENJOY SamFAIL ROOT!
* SamFAIL DOES NOT TRIP KNOX
* Boot.img is SECURE which means you MUST use SYSTEM ROOT. (Similar to SamPWND)
* This means that MAGISK DOES NOT WORK
* Which also means SAFETY NET FAILS. So any apps you enjoy that require passing Safety Net will most likely not work while you are rooted with SamFAIL
* Again, similar to SamPWND, this root method uses a factory binary boot.img which is necessary to boot the modified system. THIS MEANS BATTERY ONLY CHARGES TO 80% (Thanks Samsung.)
* SamFAIL DOES NOT UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER AND DOES NOT SIM UNLOCK YOUR PHONE.
* This *should* in theory, work for other Snapdragon Models of the Note 8. If you have another model and are successful please post so we can add "support" for other models.
Back to Stock?
- Download the full STOCK firmware of your choice.
- Flash it in ODIN/Comsey ODIN as you would any other time!
- It will take a few reboots for the "custom" splash screen to go away.
- Due to the nature of this "exploit" the system partition is not closed during install. To fix any possible issues add the fsck.ext4 file to the /tmp/ directory using adb and run it by typing
su chmod 755 /tmp/fsck.ext4 mount -o ro,remount /system /tmp/fsck.ext4 -f $(find /dev -name system) When asked to Salvage hit Y then Hit A to auto repair
- SuperSU will ask you to update it multiple times.
As always, the devs have been hard at work recently to bring you root. Donations are definitely NOT REQUIRED but if you feel generous and want to spot the devs a few bucks for their hard work you can donate to this Paypal Address:
DOWNLOADS will be in POST #2
UPDATES will be in POST #3(RESERVED FOR FUTURE UPDATES)
As always, ENJOY ROOT and thank SamFAIL for making it all possible!
Telegram Questions and Answers with Devs @partcyborg and I will be answering questions here and not in the threads.)
General Note 8 talk(Do not ask root questions here)
P.S. See why we called it SamFAIL now? Massive fail on Samsungs part.
SamFAIL, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (2017 Phone)
me2151, partcyborg, elliwigy
Last Updated 2017-10-07