FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Root][SM-N950U/U1][Snapdragon][V6_Bootloader][EDL_Method][Safestrap]

7,241 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,242

By jrkruse, Recognized Contributor on 24th June 2019, 01:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
EDL Method For Pie Safestrap Rom
Before You Even Attempt This Process You must Have Knowledge Of Using Odin. Also The Ability To Run Command Prompts With Windows And Know That This Stuff Works With Your Computer And Phone. If You Cannot Even Get The Combo Firmware To Flash Or Boot Then Stop And Give Up! This Process Is Not For You!!!!

This will install a pie rom with safestrap on your phone and give you the ability too flash zips and modify system with safestrap recovery. There is currently no root method for pie

Downloads V6 Bootloaders
N950U_Full_EDL_V6_Pie_Safestrap.rar
COMBINATION_FA71_N950USQU6ASG1_CL13942288_QB246639 58_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.rar

Downloads V5 Bootloaders
N950U_Full_EDL_V5_Pie_Safestrap.rar
COMBINATION_FA71_N950USQU5ARJ1.rar

Instructions
Make sure latest samsung drivers are installed on your computer. Try not to use USB 3 ports

1. Download and unzip the N950U_Full_EDL_V*_Pie_Safestrap.rar

2. Reboot phone to EDL Mode. Now this can be done one of 3 ways. Choose A, B or C method bellow
A... If already on safestrap use the reboot to edl in the power menu

B... Flash Combo Firmware COMBINATION_FA71_N950U************1.rar and run the Reboot_EDL.bat in the N950U_Full_EDL_V5_Pie_Safestrap

C...IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME DOING THIS OR YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED WITH EDL USE THE COMBO FIRMWARE METHOD IN B
Reboot phone to download mode and use odin and in BL slot flash BL_ZERO_FORCE_EDL_N950U_V*.tar.md5. This method has
some risk as you are zeroing out the bootloaders so you need to make sure you can run edl and that your computer will
recognize your phone in 9008 edl mode. So if unsure you probably need to run A or B above as they do not zero bootloaders
and can be brought out of edl mode by simply rebooting. Once you flash bootloaders and phone reboots to black screen do not unplug phone from computer until you run the edl recovery bat file
Make sure device installed on computer as Qualcomn 9008 device as this pic shows and note the com port number
Attachment 4712729

3. Once phone is recognized by computer as Qualcomn 9008 device run the N950U_Recovery.bat you will have to input your com port number it should tell you the com number in command prompt dialog at the top if it does not tell you you are probably not connected correctly. Enter the number when it ask you not the COM letters just the number. The process will take awhile and may seem to hang for a few minutes just let it go unless it hangs for hours.

4. When it says finished on command window reboot your phone to download mode by holding power+vol down+bixby buttons

5. In odin load BL_N950USQS5DSF6.tar.md5 in BL slot and HOME_CSC_OYN_N950U_CACHE.tar.md5 in CSC slot and flash when done phone will reboot to recovery.

6. In recovery you will get an error this is ok just wipe data in recovery and reboot and enjoy your Pie system with safestrap

To Enter And Exit Safestrap After Intitial Install

1. To enter safetrap flash the BL_ENG_BOOTLOADERS_SAFESTRAP_N950U_V*.tar.md5 in BL Slot in odin phone will boot too safestrap sometimes it may take a minute to do so

2. To leave safestrap reboot to bootloader or download still does not work so you still need to manually reboot to bootloader

3. Use modded Odin and load BL_N950USQS******.tar.md5 In BL Slot

If Having Trouble With EDL

1. Do not use USB 3 ports

2. Disable or remove your Antivirus (because sometimes virus can block instaling drivers , ports or running flash tool)

3. Put your windows in Test mode

To put your Windows in test mode just Run As Administrator Command Prompt and insert one of the following command:

bcdedit -set testsigning on ( to enable test mode)
bcdedit -set testsigning off ( to disable test mode)

Or Disable driver signature
for Windows 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYhHD622AA

for Windows 10 users:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71YAIw7_-kg

After that reboot your PC .

4. Uninstall all flash program from your pc like MiFlash , QPST , Qloader ...

Use Revo Uninstaller for advanced uninstaling that clean leftover files and registry which is stored inside your Windows registry.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo..._download.html

After that reboot your PC .

5. Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4 download from here: (if you already have instaled skip this)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=17851

6. Install Minimal ADB & Fastboot 1.4.3 command tool download from here
(while you start installing tool check to be in desktop is easy )
https://androidmtk.com/download-mini...-fastboot-tool

in order to install run ADB & Fastboot 1.43.exe with Administrator and just write y and hit enter for all .

- @BotsOne for V5 EDL files for Note 8
- @Kamrys for the V5 EDL files
- @XYLZ786 for bring to my attention the V5 EDL files
- @Raymonf for modified odin
- @afaneh92 for safestrap Main Thread Here Consider a donation to him he worked along time on this Donation Link
- @me2151 for finding samfail method. EDL Help Stealing some of his ideas
- @tytydraco for some instructions
- @mweinbach for some instructions, Discord thread providing the Pie update zips
- @Craz Basics for xposed on non rooted
- @partcyborg for finding the root method!
- @elliwigy for being great help and original S8 root. EDL Help Stealing some of his ideas
- @rayan-refoua for boot animation
- @SamGuy2020 for testing S8 V5 install method and bricking his phone in the process
- @klabit87 for all kinds of stuff
- @stang5litre for all kinds of stuff
- @jds3118 for help over the years
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to jrkruse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrkruse Ad-Free
24th June 2019, 01:13 AM |#2  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Rooted Nougat Rom

This is last nougat rom made for note 8 it is prerooted with flashfire and safestrap preinstalled. It has CSC stuff for all carriers added. Its debloated slightly with knox removed. Some stuff may not work but im not sure as I cannot test but this stuff may include fingerprint and or face recognition. If stuff doesnt work it probably related to using pie modems and non-hlos on a nougat rom which you have no choice.

Downloads
Rooted_N950USQS3BRB4.rar
BL_ENG_BOOTLOADERS_SAFESTRAP_N950U_V5.tar.md5
BL_N950_FINGERPRINT_FIX_V6.tar.md5 Fingerprint and Face Unlock fix for above nougat rom. Just flash in BL slot in odin after everything else
Safestrap-4.10-B03-GREATQLTE-PIE.zip Will boot straight to safestrap only for pie roms
Safestrap-4.10-B03-GREATQLTE-NOUGAT.zip Will Give you the safestrap splash screen on boot

Directions
Safestrap Method
1. Extract system.img from the Rooted_N950USQS3BRB4.rar and copy to phone reboot to safestarp and flash system image reboot to download and flash BL_ENG_BOOTLOADERS_SAFESTRAP_N950U_V*.tar.md5 in odin

EDL Method
1. Download EDL files from post 1
2. Extract system.img from the Rooted_N950USQS3BRB4.rar and copy and replace the system.img in the edl files folder with the system.img from the Rooted_N950USQS3BRB4.rar
3. Follow directions from post 1
4. When done with post one instructions reboot to download one last time and flash the BL_ENG_BOOTLOADERS_SAFESTRAP_N950U_V*.tar.md5 in odin

Make Your Own System Image
Download
N_950_PIE_ROM_CREATE.zip Will add Safestrap on OMC CSC files to system image. Do not try and flash the nougat zip with root on Pie system.img it will not work as you cannot root pie
N_950_NOUGAT_ROM_CREATE.zip Will add Safestrap, Flashfire, Root, Busybox and OMC CSC files to system image

1. Download firmware extract the system.img.ext4 from the AP file .If system image is in system.img.ext.lz4 format you will need
to extract image from lz4. You can google how to do this
2. Rename system.img.ext4 to system.img and copy to phone
3. Reboot to safestrap and flash system.img
4. Flash Rom Create zip to match your system
5. Reboot to download flash proper bootloaders to match your rom. You may need to make your own
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jrkruse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrkruse Ad-Free
24th June 2019, 01:36 AM |#3  
Flag Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 4,487

Donate to Me
More
Good luck testers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to me2151 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift me2151 Ad-Free
24th June 2019, 04:19 AM |#4  

Donate to Me
More
tested and confirmed working!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jrkruse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrkruse Ad-Free
24th June 2019, 04:56 AM |#5  
Flag boston
Thanks Meter: 1,123

More
Now bring to n960u
The Following User Says Thank You to pbedard For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pbedard Ad-Free
24th June 2019, 07:01 AM |#6  
Flag Somewhere in Colorado
Thanks Meter: 2,367

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkruse

tested and confirmed working!

Wow that is amazing. Good work on getting this going!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jammol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jammol Ad-Free
24th June 2019, 10:57 AM |#7  
Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 8,375

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbedard

Now bring to n960u

Already did one test with an unmodified system in edl and it failed like all the other times i tried it lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2019, 07:06 PM |#8  
@jrkruse Was there a particular reason RJ1 was chosen as the base combo instead of RG2?

The only difference I heard of was that RG2 actually was the DRK repair, where RJ1 did most of the other stuff.
24th June 2019, 10:02 PM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgoth

@jrkruse Was there a particular reason RJ1 was chosen as the base combo instead of RG2?

The only difference I heard of was that RG2 actually was the DRK repair, where RJ1 did most of the other stuff.

it doesnt matter what v5 combo I am only using bootloaders on rooted rom and you just flash full combo system to be able to reboot to edl mode. The goal was to get root so safestrap can be used on Pie and thats been achieved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrkruse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrkruse Ad-Free
25th June 2019, 01:23 AM |#10  
Flag Honolulu
Thanks Meter: 969

More
This is excellent! Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iunlock For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iunlock Ad-Free
25th June 2019, 03:06 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I have been waiting for this for quite some time. Thank you!

Quote:

c
echo ¦¢ Galaxy S8 Plus USA Flash System Program
mode

can we add note 8 to description in batch file?

When flashing "COMBINATION_FA71_N950USQU5ARJ1_CL13942288_QB20391 4 89_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 "
should I press BL+AP+others or just BL?

similar question, when flashing COMBINATION_FA71_N950USQU5ARJ1_BOOTLOADERS.tar should i select BL only or AP?

My baseband version is N950U1UEU1AQ15 build number NMF26X.N950USQU1AQ15 but I see different versions from romreactor below, am I still ok to flash?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)