FORUMS

Add non-messenger apps to Samsung Dual Messenger?

1,400 posts
Thanks Meter: 752

By soraxd, Senior Member on 16th July 2018, 06:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So the creation of parallel workspaces is blocked in the Security Policy of 8.0, preventing multiple copies of the same app. However, Samsung's Dual Messenger still successfully copies apps it sees as messenger apps, and allows them to run just fine. So what exactly determines what Samsung is willing to let appear here as "Messenger app", so that I can manually add the non-messenger apps I need multiple instances of.
Thanks
17th July 2018, 08:28 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I don't know how Samsung determines their "dual app" policy. But you can use the "Secure Folder" to create another copy of any app you would like, the only problem is that it is secure and you have to use fingerprint/password every time you access the app. That's the only inconvenience.
17th July 2018, 04:55 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 752

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe100021

I don't know how Samsung determines their "dual app" policy. But you can use the "Secure Folder" to create another copy of any app you would like, the only problem is that it is secure and you have to use fingerprint/password every time you access the app. That's the only inconvenience.

thanks for the feedback, unfortunately secure folder is the first thing to go when you unlock your phone =/
18th April 2020, 05:04 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I've found a method that requires ADB. NO ROOT NEEDED.
Step 1: Enable Dual Messenger for an existing app (e.g. WhatsApp).
Step 2: Enable USB Debugging and connect your device to your computer.
Step 3: Open command prompt in your adb folder.
Step 4: Type
Code:
adb shell
Step 5: Type
Code:
pm list users
Step 6: In the resulting list, find the user named "DUAL_APP" and get its number. For example, my device says
Code:
UserInfo{95:DUAL_APP:20000030} running
. The number will be 95
Step 7: Type
Code:
exit
Step 8: Copy your desired apk file to your adb folder.
Step 9: Type
Code:
adb install --user 95 desired_app.apk
Remember to replace "95" with whatever number you saw in Step 6.

Wait for the process to finish. A SUCCESS message should be displayed.

The app of your choice will now be installed in Dual Messenger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 100055 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 100055 Ad-Free
15th May 2020, 12:45 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
@100055
I tried and not successful
Mine has 3 users though. So i use 95 and installed as instructed. But app cannot be found
any idea? here is my list of users.

Users:
UserInfo{0:Artee:13} running
UserInfo{95UAL_APP:20000030} running
UserInfo{150:david si:51020030} running
crownlte:/ $ exit
16th May 2020, 11:55 PM |#6  
Flag ─░stanbul
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuakus

@100055
I tried and not successful
Mine has 3 users though. So i use 95 and installed as instructed. But app cannot be found
any idea? here is my list of users.

Users:
UserInfo{0:Artee:13} running
UserInfo{95UAL_APP:20000030} running
UserInfo{150:david si:51020030} running
crownlte:/ $ exit

I did as I said today, but it didn't work (google translate used)
edit:
I tried again now and the second app appeared in the app drawer. very thanks
27th May 2020, 04:40 AM |#7  
Flag Petaling Jaya
Thanks Meter: 243

More
this is awesome.. i tried this method to push pokemon go there, it appears in app drawer, but it kept seeking for location permission.
i checked, location permission is granted.. but it still prompts me for it.

checked with wechat, another app i have installed on dual messenger, it is able to use location services without a problem.

any idea how to fix this? if i can fix this, i can launch 2 pokemon go in split view at a push of a button (app pairs).

For now, i am using pokemon go from secure folder and normal installation.. and manually switching it to split view. will be awesome to have it under dual messenger and i can launch both apps at the same time, with split view.
10th June 2020, 02:11 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Guatemala
Thanks Meter: 2,842

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash_h

this is awesome.. i tried this method to push pokemon go there, it appears in app drawer, but it kept seeking for location permission.
i checked, location permission is granted.. but it still prompts me for it.

checked with wechat, another app i have installed on dual messenger, it is able to use location services without a problem.

any idea how to fix this? if i can fix this, i can launch 2 pokemon go in split view at a push of a button (app pairs).

For now, i am using pokemon go from secure folder and normal installation.. and manually switching it to split view. will be awesome to have it under dual messenger and i can launch both apps at the same time, with split view.

You can install pokemon go from the Galaxy Store, both apps (gplay and galaxy store) have different package names so you can run both instances at the same time
14th June 2020, 07:12 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Thank you very much. I've been using Island to do this but I really prefer the system built in option.
17th June 2020, 01:02 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
On a second thought, apps installed this way don't have access to any permission
18th June 2020, 02:40 AM |#11  
Flag Petaling Jaya
Thanks Meter: 243

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo77

You can install pokemon go from the Galaxy Store, both apps (gplay and galaxy store) have different package names so you can run both instances at the same time

I didn't believe you so I went to try.

Son of a gun it works!! Holy sheet thanks bro..

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)