Possible GPU failure?

Search This thread

Skulldron

Jan 29, 2016
So recently I've been running the smurf kernel to play games like pubg with OC. But all of a sudden my note began glitching and caused graphic glitches. I thought that this might just be in game but it happens when I exit. When I exit usually the display just goes black but the digitzer underneath is still working. Any ideas on what's going on. Oh also. I thought this might be a smurf kernel glitch so I switched to notorious but it just repeats. This happens at random too . Screenshots.

So recently I've been running the smurf kernel to play games like pubg with OC. But all of a sudden my note began glitching and caused graphic glitches. I thought that this might just be in game but it happens when I exit. When I exit usually the display just goes black but the digitzer underneath is still working. Any ideas on what's going on. Oh also. I thought this might be a smurf kernel glitch so I switched to notorious but it just repeats. This happens at random too . Screenshots.
Does it happen in other games? Graphically glitches such as that typically means that the GPU is not capable of process the visuals at the settings requested and bottlenecks. At least when it comes to PC.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Skulldron

Jan 29, 2016
It doesn't happen in other games. Also, are you sure that it's just an overheating issue than a defect?

It doesn't happen in other games. Also, are you sure that it's just an overheating issue than a defect?
Most likely. The common factor is artefacts during PUBG. Since the issue doesn't occur during other intense games (if you've tried others), then PUBG is the factor causing the issue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Skulldron

Jan 29, 2016
Ok so an update on the situation. Switching to a different kernel doesn't appear to help at all. In fact the situation can get a little worse at times. It doesn't happen instant but can happen at random times. It's spread to other games but only if I play the game for a while (2 hours usually). Honestly don't know what to do at this point. Usually when you overheats it downclocks automatically right? So I doubt it's overheated. I am about to wipe everything off and start new. Maybe then my problem will disappear. If anyone can please give me the direct cause of this error I will be forever grateful

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Ok so an update on the situation. Switching to a different kernel doesn't appear to help at all. In fact the situation can get a little worse at times. It doesn't happen instant but can happen at random times. It's spread to other games but only if I play the game for a while (2 hours usually). Honestly don't know what to do at this point. Usually when you overheats it downclocks automatically right? So I doubt it's overheated. I am about to wipe everything off and start new. Maybe then my problem will disappear. If anyone can please give me the direct cause of this error I will be forever grateful
I would do a full wipe, go back to latest stock firmware with Odin, and then test from there. If the problem persists, then I think it's safe to say it's hardware failure of some type, which would require repair.

Last edited:

Skulldron

Jan 29, 2016
Yes, So I have gone back to stock and have played PUBG. The artefacts dont appear however sometimes you catch a glimpse of very minor glitching. Now I wonder whether this is due to the fact that my note has a low GPU bin of 2 out of 15 (I think). I have switched over to a new ROM and it appears that the RED flashes of death were temporary and maybe gone for now. I will report if it repeats itself.

Reactions: sefrcoko

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Yes, So I have gone back to stock and have played PUBG. The artefacts dont appear however sometimes you catch a glimpse of very minor glitching. Now I wonder whether this is due to the fact that my note has a low GPU bin of 2 out of 15 (I think). I have switched over to a new ROM and it appears that the RED flashes of death were temporary and maybe gone for now. I will report if it repeats itself.
Thanks for the update, glad to hear things have improved! PUBG is kind of buggy overall, so those new minor glitches could possibly just be the app itself. Keep testing and see, but hopefully everything goes smoothly :)

Amos420en

Nov 5, 2013
tampa

https://www.redmondpie.com/pubg-mob...s-fix-lag-more-heres-how-to-configure-it-all/

Decent write up of how to fix some of PUBG glitches and lag. I haven't tried that game but could possibly help.

Skulldron

Jan 29, 2016
Ok everyone! I believe the issue is solved!. A reflash of the stock ROM appears to have fixed the glitches. Even on low battery it doesn't seem to affect the device so I'm going to put it down to corrupt gpu drivers. Thanks everyone for your help, y'all have been awesome.

Jun 16, 2017
Are you doing Dream UX for the galaxy tab s2. If you are, I have a SM-T813 and I am willing to test on it since you do not have one for this device and I don't expect for Samsung to release 8.0 Oreo on it.
Please and Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GPU artifacts. Your phone's GPU is overheated.