FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Anyone managed to flash unlocked firmware on verizon yet?

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Discovideo3, Junior Member on 29th September 2017, 07:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Every time i flash the unlocked firmware, it will succeed and go to the android upgrade screen. But once it reaches 32% it says erasing and goes right back to the verizon firmware
29th September 2017, 09:37 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I was able to flash the unlocked version on my Verizon Note 8. Which guide are you following? https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...tware-t3671615 I used this guide by BlueFox721.
30th September 2017, 07:40 AM |#3  
Flag Foley
Thanks Meter: 1,288

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovideo3

Every time i flash the unlocked firmware, it will succeed and go to the android upgrade screen. But once it reaches 32% it says erasing and goes right back to the verizon firmware

Boot in recovery and factory reset then choose boot to bootloader from recovery main menu and flash unlocked firmware...make sure ums/patch is set to 1 in config file and that you are using Prince Comsy's Odin...UMS slot should be empty...bl in bl, ap in ap, cp in cp, csc in csc
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueFox721 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BlueFox721 Ad-Free
4th October 2017, 01:34 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
This might sound strange (and, yes, I've already searched all the threads to find what I'm looking for, and couldn't find it), but, has anyone successfully flashed the Verizon firmware onto the unlocked US (SM-N950U1) Note 8? If you're wondering why in the world I'd want to do that, it's simple: Visual Voicemail. Here's my problem - I'm a chauffeur, and I rely (partly) on receiving voicemails, as I can't answer the phone when clients are in the limo (as clients get in, I silence my phone). The unlocked Note 8 not only doesn't have Visual Voicemail, but I don't even receive any sort of notification when a voicemail is left. If I don't receive any indication that I have a voicemail, how am I supposed to know? Calling myself every time I drop, so as to check for voicemails, is not a very realistic way of dealing with this. Having read in other forums, I know I'm not the only one miffed about this. Countless others with the unlocked Note 8, S8, & S8+ have discovered this "problem". Since Verizon has been worthless in helping me, I'm starting to think that the only way I'll get voicemail notifications (of any kind) is to flash my unlocked Note 8 with the Verizon firmware...unless someone reading this knows how to get voicemail notifications working. Assistance is requested...anyone?
4th October 2017, 01:57 AM |#5  
Flag Foley

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834

This might sound strange (and, yes, I've already searched all the threads to find what I'm looking for, and couldn't find it), but, has anyone successfully flashed the Verizon firmware onto the unlocked US (SM-N950U1) Note 8? If you're wondering why in the world I'd want to do that, it's simple: Visual Voicemail. Here's my problem - I'm a chauffeur, and I rely (partly) on receiving voicemails, as I can't answer the phone when clients are in the limo (as clients get in, I silence my phone). The unlocked Note 8 not only doesn't have Visual Voicemail, but I don't even receive any sort of notification when a voicemail is left. If I don't receive any indication that I have a voicemail, how am I supposed to know? Calling myself every time I drop, so as to check for voicemails, is not a very realistic way of dealing with this. Having read in other forums, I know I'm not the only one miffed about this. Countless others with the unlocked Note 8, S8, & S8+ have discovered this "problem". Since Verizon has been worthless in helping me, I'm starting to think that the only way I'll get voicemail notifications (of any kind) is to flash my unlocked Note 8 with the Verizon firmware...unless someone reading this knows how to get voicemail notifications working. Assistance is requested...anyone?

Google voice works great...you just need to forward your vm to Google voice #...search web for Verizon vvm to Google voice...it transcribes better imho...
5th October 2017, 07:45 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox721

Google voice works great...you just need to forward your vm to Google voice #...search web for Verizon vvm to Google voice...it transcribes better imho...

Unfortunately, with the Galaxy Note 8, these instructions (such as those found at https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...oogle-t2151572) don't apply, and won't work. In the phone app's "Settings" menu, there is no "Other Call Options" setting. There is, however, within the phone app's settings, a "VOICEMAIL" category, of which the first two options are "Service provider" and "Voicemail settings". Under "Service provider", the only option is "My carrier"...there is no "Google Voice" option. Under "Voicemail settings", there is one sub-setting, "Voicemail number", which currently has *86 entered. Now, I could easily change that to my Google Voice number, but I'm uncertain as to whether, or not, that would do anything (plus, at least as of my time typing this post, I don't have a way of testing, as my wife is at work). Since, as indicated in step 4 of the directions given (in the above-mentioned link), one must first change the voicemail setting from "My carrier" to "Google Voice", that leads me to believe that this won't work on my unlocked Note 8.

In calling Verizon today, something 'interesting' was discovered. It appears that, when the Verizon customer service person canceled my Premium Visual Voicemail (ie. the monthly $2.99 fee) a week ago, he forgot (within Verizon's internal system) to revert my line's setting from "Visual Voicemail" back to "standard Voicemail". After the customer service person (from today's call) changed that setting, I started receiving standard voicemail notifications. So, at least I've been able to finally get traditional voicemail notifications to work. That being said, I'd STILL like to regain some form of visual voicemail, be it Verizon's (which I'm assuming will be impossible, unless I flash my unlocked Note 8 with the Verizon firmware), or Google Voice's. Since the directions given by Winesnob (again, via the above link) don't appear to work on the Note 8 (because "Google Voice" isn't listed as a voicemail option within the phone's phone app settings), any other suggestions, short of flashing the Verizon firmware?
5th October 2017, 08:04 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 109

More
Just
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovideo3

Take out the Verizon sim when. You are flashing the unlock firmware.. it seems to confuse oidn and the firmware for some reason .. then after you set up the phone just pop the sim in. You should be good to go
5th October 2017, 09:21 PM |#8  
Flag Spring Hill, FL
Thanks Meter: 885

More
Just flash it to the TMO version and use t mobile if possible.?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
5th October 2017, 10:27 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Quote:

Youmail
6th October 2017, 12:15 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,196

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8302

Youmail

☝️ This.

I am also Unlocked on Verizon and ran into the same dilemma and YouMail works great.
6th October 2017, 01:23 AM |#11  
Flag Foley

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Unfortunately, with the Galaxy Note 8, these instructions (such as those found at https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...ogle-t2151572) don't apply, and won't work. In the phone app's "Settings" menu, there is no "Other Call Options" setting. There is, however, within the phone app's settings, a "VOICEMAIL" category, of which the first two options are "Service provider" and "Voicemail settings". Under "Service provider", the only option is "My carrier"...there is no "Google Voice" option. Under "Voicemail settings", there is one sub-setting, "Voicemail number", which currently has *86 entered. Now, I could easily change that to my Google Voice number, but I'm uncertain as to whether, or not, that would do anything (plus, at least as of my time typing this post, I don't have a way of testing, as my wife is at work). Since, as indicated in step 4 of the directions given (in the above-mentioned link), one must first change the voicemail setting from "My carrier" to "Google Voice", that leads me to believe that this won't work on my unlocked Note 8.

In calling Verizon today, something 'interesting' was discovered. It appears that, when the Verizon customer service person canceled my Premium Visual Voicemail (ie. the monthly $2.99 fee) a week ago, he forgot (within Verizon's internal system) to revert my line's setting from "Visual Voicemail" back to "standard Voicemail". After the customer service person (from today's call) changed that setting, I started receiving standard voicemail notifications. So, at least I've been able to finally get traditional voicemail notifications to work. That being said, I'd STILL like to regain some form of visual voicemail, be it Verizon's (which I'm assuming will be impossible, unless I flash my unlocked Note 8 with the Verizon firmware), or Google Voice's. Since the directions given by Winesnob (again, via the above link) don't appear to work on the Note 8 (because "Google Voice" isn't listed as a voicemail option within the phone's phone app settings), any other suggestions, short of flashing the Verizon firmware?

There should be updated info for Google voice on verizon....For Sprint all I had to do was dial *73mygooglevoicenumber and all was well...I did not mess with the voicemail settings on the phone as it was unnecessary...this just forwards to Google voice...you just need to know the correct "no answer forward" prefix...it used to be *71...leave all other settings alone...then when you get a voicemail phone will forward to Google voice....so if you have to call Verizon tech ask for the *number for no answer forward....then dial it in the phone like you are making a call with your Google voice number...for example, call (dial in phone app) *716235551234 and press the phone button to start the call...the example I used behind the *71 (6235551234) is not a real number and the *71 used to be Verizon's no answer forward prefix...your Google voice number is shown in settings of the Google voice app...

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmoyx

☝️ This.

I am also Unlocked on Verizon and ran into the same dilemma and YouMail works great.

I remember using youmail on my tthunderbolt...I just preferred Google voice...glad you have something you like though...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)