FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Is your navigation bar burnt into the display?

Yes, it is

20 Vote(s)
19.05%
No, it's not

85 Vote(s)
80.95%

Navigation Bar Burn In. Anyone else?

33 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By ShooterLight, Member on 23rd September 2017, 10:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th September 2017, 03:12 AM |#11  
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 923

More
No burn in on my Australian Note 8, but it is only 7 days old...

24th September 2017, 03:17 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 154

More
what is the attachment supposed to show? im seeing this on a desktop computer and i don't see anything.

i took your poll. no screen burn in.
24th September 2017, 03:28 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
OLEDs will always be subject to burn in due to how they work. Since each subpixel is for a SINGLE color, they will age differently because they're not all going to be on at the same time (ex: a pure red will not have green or blue subpixels active, so red would age faster than the other two if left on for days). The larger ones, usually blue, will need more voltage to excite it than the smaller ones (almost always green, as we see more of the green spectrum than blue--look at a CIE colorspace chart and you'll see very little "blue" compared to green). More voltage = faster aging.
This will NEVER be eliminated, and will always happen using current OLED technology (read: need alternative to currently used organic materials not subject to electric decay/aging).

HOWEVER, don't worry about this. For a user to actually introduce image burn in you will need to have your screen BRIGHT (250+ nits at least) AND have a STATIC IMAGE being shown for DAYS.

I'm 99% positive that any image burn in reports, that have NOT done the above, is not image burn in but Image Retention (aka image persistence).
Image Retention is TEMPORARY, and is mostly from electrical build up in display components and will go away once the build up has discharged (pixel is off for a while). On LG OLED HDTVs there is an option to "clear panel noise" which is what this does; don't know if other manufactures have a similar option available.
Alternatively you can add build up to improve screen uniformity by looking at a pure white screen for a few minutes. (google "jscreenfix" to see what I mean by colored noise. There is an old jscreenfix.jar file that's no longer hosted on their site for offline and full screen use. I don't know if it would work on androids as it was made back in Windows XP days).

Again, I'd like to put emphasis on the difference between "image burn in" and "image retention". At a glance they will look identical.
How Samsung has their "always on display" may make finding which you may have difficult. It's possible that the screen is still getting power even with the phone OFF depending on how the circuits and internal components draw power from the internal battery (read: OFF may be an extreme form of SLEEP where the absolute minimum of power is flowing through components if they used some more exotic designs for the sake of reliability).
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kamikaze_Ice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kamikaze_Ice Ad-Free
24th September 2017, 03:39 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 764

More
The nav icons move although it's much more subtle than the AOD, just enough to prevent their burning in. It's a little image retention, rest easy tonight.
24th September 2017, 04:25 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 528

More
Mine looks good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170923-202512.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	4281518  
16th October 2017, 03:29 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
How to fix?
Mine there's a mark from waze report button so strong when the screen is white or more light.
16th October 2017, 04:00 AM |#17  
HOUSTON TEXAS
Thanks Meter: 715

More
No burn. Wife's S7 edge had Facebook burn terrible, and my S8+ had Google maps burn in a couple months. Screen burn occurs most quickly with screen at Max brightness.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
23rd October 2017, 05:52 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 191

More
Nope, no burn in.
23rd October 2017, 07:43 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 540

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_Ice

OLEDs will always be subject to burn in due to how they work. Since each subpixel is for a SINGLE color, they will age differently because they're not all going to be on at the same time (ex: a pure red will not have green or blue subpixels active, so red would age faster than the other two if left on for days). The larger ones, usually blue, will need more voltage to excite it than the smaller ones (almost always green, as we see more of the green spectrum than blue--look at a CIE colorspace chart and you'll see very little "blue" compared to green). More voltage = faster aging.
This will NEVER be eliminated, and will always happen using current OLED technology (read: need alternative to currently used organic materials not subject to electric decay/aging).

HOWEVER, don't worry about this. For a user to actually introduce image burn in you will need to have your screen BRIGHT (250+ nits at least) AND have a STATIC IMAGE being shown for DAYS.

I'm 99% positive that any image burn in reports, that have NOT done the above, is not image burn in but Image Retention (aka image persistence).
Image Retention is TEMPORARY, and is mostly from electrical build up in display components and will go away once the build up has discharged (pixel is off for a while). On LG OLED HDTVs there is an option to "clear panel noise" which is what this does; don't know if other manufactures have a similar option available.
Alternatively you can add build up to improve screen uniformity by looking at a pure white screen for a few minutes. (google "jscreenfix" to see what I mean by colored noise. There is an old jscreenfix.jar file that's no longer hosted on their site for offline and full screen use. I don't know if it would work on androids as it was made back in Windows XP days).

Again, I'd like to put emphasis on the difference between "image burn in" and "image retention". At a glance they will look identical.
How Samsung has their "always on display" may make finding which you may have difficult. It's possible that the screen is still getting power even with the phone OFF depending on how the circuits and internal components draw power from the internal battery (read: OFF may be an extreme form of SLEEP where the absolute minimum of power is flowing through components if they used some more exotic designs for the sake of reliability).

Indeed. Very well written post. Thank you for taking the time to write it. My understanding is the same as yours. When I just read the OP's post I thought oh hell here we go again.

Ryland
23rd October 2017, 09:26 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
No burn in on my note 8 at all, but it's only 8 days old.
28th October 2017, 10:32 PM |#21  
Flag Limassol, Cyprus
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Mine has already began to burn in on top right (status bar) where time & clock are displayed. Have it since 15/9.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)