FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Poor battery performance, what to do?

46 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By Raklik, Member on 19th September 2017, 05:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys, I'm wondering what can I do to improve my Note 8 battery life. Seems to me that is draining and I do not get the chance to use it too much. Maybe you have an idea how to optimize and track the apps are overusing the battery, so far I was not able to detect which app/component drains my battery. Even Samsung seems that doesn't know since there is no message regarding background processes with heavy usage.
Basically I finished fully charging at 9:15 AM and now 16:15PM time I started to write the post and make the screenshots, it has 16%. What I did all this time with the phone, was:
- a bit of browsing,
- make one NFC payment,
- have the S3 gear connected on bluetooth.
- few twitter messages and viber really small usage. (less than 40 messages overall)

So here are my settings
- WIFI is off and I'm using 3G connection (I stopped LTE thinking that requires more battery.. , correct me if I'm wrong please),
- screen not even on 50% and auto brightness off (using HD+ and a dark theme, everything is so dark!)
- AOD
- no led, no gestures (most of them I turn off for testing purpose)
- Medium battery saver on.
- No phone calls
- few notifications (not more than 20, also the notification is optimized to apps I'm concerned)

Any suggestion how to make it to end of working day .. at least?
I was waiting so long for a new note and now I'm a bit disappointed and I hope that is something I do wrong..

Funny is I just realized that by mistake I put the phone on airplane mode while making the screenshots, still percentage was flying away even like this. I lost 2% making screenshots in a matter of couple of minutes.

Please find the screenshots attached in the link down bellow, were to big to add them to the post.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...W8?usp=sharing
Thanks!

19th September 2017, 05:18 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
you might have some apps draining battery. I'm used to a rooted phone, so I'd always check with wakelock detector, but I'm not sure what you can do without installing an app as a system app.

Try factory resetting your phone and using it without installing anything for a day and see what the battery life is like. If it's significantly better, install your apps 1 by 1 until you find out which one is causing unnecessary cpu cycles or wakelocks.
19th September 2017, 05:30 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Havirov

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksmage

you might have some apps draining battery. I'm used to a rooted phone, so I'd always check with wakelock detector, but I'm not sure what you can do without installing an app as a system app.

Try factory resetting your phone and using it without installing anything for a day and see what the battery life is like. If it's significantly better, install your apps 1 by 1 until you find out which one is causing unnecessary cpu cycles or wakelocks.

But I wonder, I shouldn't see the heavy usage on the battery info page? Like which app does most of the usage and time spend in the background or CPU?
19th September 2017, 06:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I had excessive battery drain, about 10-11% an hour with every off . A full factory reset cured the problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allmine1976 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift allmine1976 Ad-Free
19th September 2017, 06:28 PM |#5  
Scottsdale
Thanks Meter: 63

More
What's your screen on time usage? 5-6 is probably the normal amount you would get with most phones (This is the most important thing if nothings draining the battery). And yes, it seems you might need a factory reset.
The Following User Says Thank You to herandy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift herandy Ad-Free
19th September 2017, 06:28 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raklik

But I wonder, I shouldn't see the heavy usage on the battery info page? Like which app does most of the usage and time spend in the background or CPU?

You won't always see this as it could be a byproduct causing a kernel wakelock.

Either way, something is acting incorrectly. The only way to really figure it out is to start over and try things slowly till you find out what it is.

For instance, on my nvidia shield tablet k-1, I was getting horrendous battery life on every single rom, stock or AOSP/Lineage. I found that I was getting 30% wakelock killing ~20% battery life per day when it should be sub 5%. I found that wifi was causing these kernel wakelocks and setting wifi to be disabled with the screen off unless charging fixed the issue entirely.

Now, that anecdote likely has nothing to do with what you're experiencing, but note that you can usually find out what's wrong from trial and error.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiksmage For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Quiksmage Ad-Free
19th September 2017, 06:37 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 254

More
I've had my note 8 for 6 days now, and battery life is excellent, i mean i have wi-fi and 4g lte on all the time, bluetooth on all the time, sync with 3 emails, Facebook, weather widget, weather screen refresh every 30mins, location high accuracy, edge lighting, aod schedule 7pm-7am, was 100% at 6am, played games on it lots, used the phone 2x, 1 hour call and a 30 mins call, text messages, it's 130pm and I'm at 55%, try a factory reset then log in to your gmail then just try to update the phone if there is any. Then reboot then start installing your apps. If it doesn't work call carrier customer service and complain about the battery not holding up like some people you know who has note 8. They might replace it with a new one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craniotomy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Craniotomy Ad-Free
19th September 2017, 07:42 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Havirov

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by herandy

What's your screen on time usage? 5-6 is probably the normal amount you would get with most phones (This is the most important thing if nothings draining the battery). And yes, it seems you might need a factory reset.

Phone died 15-20 minutes after I did the screenshots, so a bit more than 2 hours...

So.. yeah.. I will try a factory reset and start install all the apps bit by bit and see which one causes the troubles.. hopefully is nothing more than that.
19th September 2017, 08:03 PM |#9  
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 441

More
Did you restore a backup or did you load your apps fresh from the play store?

I've had horrible luck with issues like battery life restoring from backups. I always install apps fresh.
The Following User Says Thank You to douger1957 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift douger1957 Ad-Free
19th September 2017, 08:23 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Havirov

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by douger1957

Did you restore a backup or did you load your apps fresh from the play store?

I've had horrible luck with issues like battery life restoring from backups. I always install apps fresh.

I did a google restore from backup! Damn! And I was thinking that I should maybe to a clean, one by one app install.
19th September 2017, 08:26 PM |#11  
Flag Alšovice
Thanks Meter: 121

More
My battery life is also not great but im using full resolution and when i remember time when i got S6 edge on launch....the battery was horrible but after few updates it was perfect so stay strong and wait a bit
The Following User Says Thank You to jirka607 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jirka607 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)