FORUMS

Recent GPS problems

159 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By mikeyk101, Senior Member on 27th February 2020, 09:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I had posted this over on the Note 8 Verizon board but dont think it is really a Verizon problem but more of a Note 8 problem and might get a better response here.

Just recently over the last couple months, I have been having a problem with getting a good gps signal in programs such as Waze and Google maps. I have done all kinds of searches and many mention to go into settings and in location settings, turn on High Accuracy. That option is bo longer available and not sure if it was eliminated in Pie. I have been doing all the latest updates and believe I am current. The only thing I have been able to find is to go into settings, then Google, and then Account Services and there I found location. The only choices under Improve Accuracy is to turn on Wifi scanning and Bluetooth scanning which I have done. There no longer is a choice of High Accuracy and the ability to turn GPS on or off like I had in previous phones and previous versions of Android. I have even tried turning on High Performance under Battery Power settings and turned off any choices to optimize battery or disable apps. I ended up downloading 2 different GPS apps from Store, GPS Status and GPS Fix/Optimizer. I will normally use Waze or Google maps through Android Auto. I can tell when there is a problem when the position indicator keeps bouncing all over the place in Waze and cant find exactly where I am. When that happens, I will check on GPS Status and it always shows that it is having a problem acquiring the satellite signals. I will then open up GPS Fix/Optimizer and on the home screen, there is a button that will say Service Off. I press it and it will then read Service On. Switching back to GPS Status will now show that it is starting to acquire multiple satellite signals. When I switch back to Waze, now it is able to show my exact location and begins to work properly.

This is driving me nuts. I never had this problem on any other of multiple different phones or Android versions. I can get GPS working but have to jump through all these hoops each time and it sucks. So what other steps can I do to be able to fire up Waze and have it find me right away?
28th February 2020, 02:05 PM |#2  
Flag Kingston
Thanks Meter: 156

More
I've had this problem for YEARS on all my Samsung devices running the latest firmware updates and unrooted while connected to a LTE data plan. The issue doesn't affect my other (new) Samsung A30 however. I've always had the latest note series since the Note2, 3, 4, 5, 8.

If I have my Samsung A30 and Note 8 with Google Maps giving me turn by turn directions, my Note 8 (as with my current phones) will stop reporting my location from the very begining of the trip while my Samsung A30 is giving the correct updates. All phones are connected to the same carrier, and same GPS / App settings.

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

What is consistent about all my Notes is that I've been using Samsung Smart Switch to transfer over the data from the previous Note to the next. I wonder if I transferred over some corrupt settings somewhere. No GPS app works as it should for me unless I'm connected to WiFi, or restart my device, then it works for a few minutes, then gets "lost" again.
2nd March 2020, 08:14 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago, IL

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymously_Unknown

I've had this problem for YEARS on all my Samsung devices running the latest firmware updates and unrooted while connected to a LTE data plan. The issue doesn't affect my other (new) Samsung A30 however. I've always had the latest note series since the Note2, 3, 4, 5, 8.

If I have my Samsung A30 and Note 8 with Google Maps giving me turn by turn directions, my Note 8 (as with my current phones) will stop reporting my location from the very begining of the trip while my Samsung A30 is giving the correct updates. All phones are connected to the same carrier, and same GPS / App settings.

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

What is consistent about all my Notes is that I've been using Samsung Smart Switch to transfer over the data from the previous Note to the next. I wonder if I transferred over some corrupt settings somewhere. No GPS app works as it should for me unless I'm connected to WiFi, or restart my device, then it works for a few minutes, then gets "lost" again.

The more I've looked into it, it seems to have occurred following the early Feb update. It also seems to have affected S9 phones and Note 9 and 10 and possibly others after they got the Android 10 update. But it seems to be only a Samsung problem. Samsung, Google, and Verizon are all blaming each other instead of trying to figure out a fix. The biggest issue I see is the lack of control of being able to change the GPS from off to on. Without being able to control the GPS, we are at the mercy of the software to do that and it is obviously failing. The only workaround I have found was what I posted above and utilizing GPS Fix/Optimizer and GPS Status apps, I can get both Waze and Google Maps to work properly. It just bugs me that I have to go through several steps to do this instead of just firing up my navigation app and taking off...

And just to add, I too have used Smart Switch many times before and never had problem. It only started recently. As far as the control for GPS, I'm not sure when that setting was removed. I never paid much attention before because it wasnt necessary. But what I did find curious was that Location setting was buried instead of it being one of the main settings. You really have to dig to find it now...
3rd March 2020, 03:16 AM |#4  
Flag Newport City
Thanks Meter: 196

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

[/COLOR]What is consistent about all my Notes is that I've been using Samsung Smart Switch to transfer over the data from the previous Note to the next. I wonder if I transferred over some corrupt settings somewhere. No GPS app works as it should for me unless I'm connected to WiFi, or restart my device, then it works for a few minutes, then gets "lost" again.

I have noticed that certain apps like GPS apps require that you reinstall them onto your new device from scratch. As SmartSwitch doesn't seem to transfer the data files corrected to other Samsung devices.
3rd March 2020, 04:47 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago, IL

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceepyon

I have noticed that certain apps like GPS apps require that you reinstall them onto your new device from scratch. As SmartSwitch doesn't seem to transfer the data files corrected to other Samsung devices.

I agree with that but this is not a new device nor have I done any kind of restore or transfer from an old phone in quite a while. All my apps have been fine for over a year now on this Note 8. This only started after the first February "Security" update.
4th March 2020, 03:27 AM |#6  
Flag Newport City

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101

I agree with that but this is not a new device nor have I done any kind of restore or transfer from an old phone in quite a while. All my apps have been fine for over a year now on this Note 8. This only started after the first February "Security" update.

Could be that an OS update requires you to install a newer version of the GPS app, which you are currently using
4th March 2020, 04:07 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago, IL

More
Quote:

Could be that an OS update requires you to install a newer version of the GPS app, which you are currently using

Im pretty sure that's not the case. My Note is still on Android 9 (Pie) which it has been for almost a year now. It has only gotten security and various minor updates but not any kind of OS update. Note 8 will not be getting Android 10, only security updates. I always update Waze and Google maps anytime an update comes out. I usually update all the other apps at least once a week. The GPS apps that I recently downloaded are the only reason that I am able to access and use my GPS through Waze and Google maps.
4th March 2020, 05:32 AM |#8  
Flag Newport City

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101

Im pretty sure that's not the case. My Note is still on Android 9 (Pie) which it has been for almost a year now. It has only gotten security and various minor updates but not any kind of OS update. Note 8 will not be getting Android 10, only security updates. I always update Waze and Google maps anytime an update comes out. I usually update all the other apps at least once a week. The GPS apps that I recently downloaded are the only reason that I am able to access and use my GPS through Waze and Google maps.

That is interesting as I am running Sygic on my Note 8 and it seems to be working just fine. I am rocking the N950N with the latest OS security updates.
4th March 2020, 04:08 PM |#9  
Flag Kingston
Thanks Meter: 156

More
Quote:

I've cleared cache, app data, uninstalled all GPS apps, before re-installing in an unsuccessful attempt to resolve the issue.
I even left the Google Maps "beta testing programme" thinking that a beta copy of the app might have been the issue.
5th March 2020, 01:57 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago, IL

More
Quote:

I've cleared cache, app data, uninstalled all GPS apps, before re-installing in an unsuccessful attempt to resolve the issue.
I even left the Google Maps "beta testing programme" thinking that a beta copy of the app might have been the issue.

Download the 2 apps I mentioned and run them. You may have to do that every time before using Google Maps but it should get you working. It's just aggravating to have to go through several steps when I should be able to open the main app I want and have it work.
5th March 2020, 06:13 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago, IL

More
Something weird just happened. I know that a couple days ago to find the location setting, I had to go to settings, Google, Account Services, and I found location there. Tonight just messing around, I noticed that it is no longer there. Instead, it is now found under settings, and then Biometrics and Security. It is down towards the bottom. Not sure how this happened as I have not received any kind of system updates. Also GPS Status app seems to just run in the background. When I open up Waze, it seems to find my location right away. I will have to keep monitoring this and see if the problem has actually been worked out.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeyk101 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikeyk101 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)