FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][Edit APN Settings _No Root] Enable Hotspot

1,972 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,280

By BlueFox721, Senior Member on 19th September 2017, 08:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
**Welcome to the Fox Den!**

This is a short guide for accessing the APN settings to edit, as well as enabling Native Hotspot while you're in there.

This method involves using Shortcut Master Lite to access the APN settings so that it can be edited to add needed settings without using ADB. The steps are as follows:

Step 1 - Download Shortcut Master Lite from the Play Store.
Step 2 - Open Shortcut Master Lite and select the Menu (three vertical dots in the upper right).
Step 3 - Select App Explorer, and then All Apps
Step 4 – Navigate (scroll down) to com.test.LTEfunctionality and select.
Step 5 – Select the first item labled "LTEFunctionalityTest" and select launch.
Step 6 – Scroll down to LTE APN Setting and select.
Step 7 – Select the APN setting to edit or select add to add your own.
Step 8 – After editing or adding APN settings, select menu and save your settings.
Congratulations, you have successfully edited and saved your APN settings.
Enable Native Hotspot
Step 10 –Select APN2 LTE internet (Sprint) or your carrier internet APN.
Step 11 - Scroll down to APN type and select.
Step 12 - Add "DUN" to the setting (it should read "default,mms,DUN") without quotations.
Step 13 - Select Menu and save your settings
Congratulations, your device now has Native Hotspot without having to toggle data!

*I have tested this on Unlocked and Carrier version on Sprint as well as my wife's Sprint S8+. Survives reboot and updates (latest one anyways).

Update : must reapply if you update prl or profile!
Disable automatic updates so that profile updates does not remove!

Please let me know if you have to add anything specifically for other carriers and I will update this post.*

And as always, I cannot be held liable for the damage or malfunction of your device using these files,
you proceed at your own risk and remove my liability by continuing to the downloads portion of this post!

Downloads:
Shortcut Master Lite

Other Links
*Culpeo ROM*
*SM-N950U1 XAA Stock Recovery Guide*
*Carrier Flashing and Switching Guide*
*SM-N950U/U1 Factory Binary, Combination Firmware*
*S Note & Working Action Memo*
*Free SIM Unlock Service by: @instrumentaly*
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to BlueFox721 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BlueFox721 Ad-Free

19th September 2017, 10:48 PM |#2  
Flag chicago
Thanks Meter: 176

More
Can't you just set up a new APN set in settings?
The Following User Says Thank You to rockky For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rockky Ad-Free
19th September 2017, 10:58 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Foley

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky

Can't you just set up a new APN set in settings?

It is greyed out for many...editing the actual settings, for hotspot, prevent having to toggle data on and off...for one example....no need for adb as well....
22nd September 2017, 05:08 AM |#4  
Flag Parker, Colorado
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Does anyone know if this also works for Bluetooth tether?
22nd September 2017, 04:29 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 388

More
Similar question since you figured this out. Is there a way to modify the APN2 in a roundabout way like this that bypasses the proxy servers for carriers like sprint since modifying the APN2 directly is out of the question since much is grayed out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
22nd September 2017, 05:10 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Foley

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdaddy96

Similar question since you figured this out. Is there a way to modify the APN2 in a roundabout way like this that bypasses the proxy servers for carriers like sprint since modifying the APN2 directly is out of the question since much is grayed out.

My apn2 is not grayed out if I go through the shortcut...
22nd September 2017, 05:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 388

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox721

My apn2 is not grayed out if I go through the shortcut...

I'm sorry I mean when I go to the ##3282## menu to get rid of the proxy is not under the APN's. It is under "Data Profile" which when you click on it is all greyed out and can't be modified. That is what I need to be able to edit to bypass proxys and prevent sprint from throttling.

Wondering if there is a shortcut to get to that as well to be able the modfiy those settings.

Edit: sorry that is not where I need to edit. I need to find a Multimedia menu option in the DATA menu which for the Note 8 there isn't one listed. I then need to modify RTST Proxy, HTTPPD Proxy to all 0.0.0.0's

Anyone know where that option or a shortcut to that option is?

22nd September 2017, 06:25 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Foley

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdaddy96

I'm sorry I mean when I go to the ##3282## menu to get rid of the proxy is not under the APN's. It is under "Data Profile" which when you click on it is all greyed out and can't be modified. That is what I need to be able to edit to bypass proxys and prevent sprint from throttling.

Wondering if there is a shortcut to get to that as well to be able the modfiy those settings.

Edit: sorry that is not where I need to edit. I need to find a Multimedia menu option in the DATA menu which for the Note 8 there isn't one listed. I then need to modify RTST Proxy, HTTPPD Proxy to all 0.0.0.0's

Anyone know where that option or a shortcut to that option is?

I looked in the ims settings and in other settings and could not find it yet...can you edit after getting your MSL # from Sprint
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueFox721 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BlueFox721 Ad-Free
23rd September 2017, 09:37 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Wow this was easier than adb bypass
23rd September 2017, 04:14 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Does this works for the TMobile version?

Sent from my SM-N950U using XDA-Developers Legacy app
23rd September 2017, 08:04 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I am completely new to this process. What should I be editing or adding to the apn?? Edit or add what exactly?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)