FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][US SNAPDRAGON] Official Note 8 (N950U1) Android 9.0 Pie One UI open beta #3

2,665 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,318

By Mr. Orange 645, Senior Member on 25th January 2019, 04:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
For simplicity sake, NO discussion of the leaked "D" builds. This thread is ONLY for the official beta z builds.

Before posting questions, please read this whole thread, including the OP.

This thread is for the US models, ONLY. For discussion about the International N950F Pie Beta, please go to @henklbr thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...oneui-t3890126

UPDATE February 19th, 2019: Samsung released beta 2, N950U1UEU5ZSBB

Huge thanks to @Nickitt and @jester450 who were so kind to provide the ZSBB update zip!

Just download and flash over ZSAB from SD Card:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...89523397901568 md5:1cadf77f8d7a565c64f3b28940f9fc85

UPDATE: March 12th, 2019 - Samsung released US Beta #3 N950U1UEU5ZSC2

If you haven't received it yet, be sure to do a manual check for updates in settings. If you can't get the OTA, you can download it from the following link and sideload it in Recovery:

https://firmware.science/download?ur...-to-EU5ZSC2-UP

WARNING: If you use ATT, then sideloading an OTA will force a factory reset. It's an ATT thing. This is only if you sideload it.

On January 24th, 2019, Samsung silently released the One UI public beta for the US Unlocked Note 8 (N950U1). This followed weeks of speculation after beta builds were seen on the Samsung FOTA testing site, and following the release of the official beta for the international N950F. The US beta build is currently N950U1UEU5ZSAB. To register for the beta, make sure you have the most recent version of the Samsung+ app installed. You will need the beta version of Samsung+. You can either sign up for the beta version in the Google PlayStore and wait for it to update, or you can download it directly from apkmirror at this link: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsun...-apk-download/

This beta is only open to the Unlocked N950U1. Carrier branded models are not currently eligible, but there is a work around. The beta only requires that you be running the N950U1 firmware. It does not check to see if your device was originally a carrier branded model. You must be running N950U1UEU5CRL2 for the N950U1. No other firmware version will work.

NOTE: If you flash the N950U1 firmware, you will lose carrier features such as Video calling from the stock dialer, RCS (enhanced) text messaging, WiFi calling, and VoLTE. The exception is with T-Mobile, you'll still maintain WiFi calling and VoLTE. Visual voicemail for your carrier will have to be downloaded from the PlayStore, if possible.

To register for and install the official Z Beta on your Factory Unlocked N950U1:

This guide is assuming you are already on the most recent build CRL2 for the N950U1, and you have ADB, Fastboot, and Samsung drivers set up and working on your PC.

Step 1.
Open the Samsung+ app, and there should be a banner in the center of the screen for the One UI experience. If it doesn't appear, clear the cache for the app, force stop it, and restart your phone.

Step 2.
If the banner appears, click on it, accept on the next page that opens. It will go back to the Samsung+ home screen and the banner will be gone. But you'll see a brief toast message thanking you for signing up.

Step 3.
Then go into settings and perform a manual check for software updates. If it doesn't appear, reboot into recovery, clear cache, and restart the phone. Check for the update again and it should appear.

Step 4.
Let the update download and install. This will not wipe your device, since it's an official OTA; however I personally recommend a FDR when moving up to a new version of Android. YMMV

Step 5.
DONE.

Step 6.
As of February 19th, 2019, Samsung pushed beta 2. Manually check for a software update to N950U1UEU5ZSBB. If it doesn't appear, you can download it here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...89523397901568 md5:1cadf77f8d7a565c64f3b28940f9fc85. Sideload it over N950U1UEU5ZSAB in Recovery. It is an OTA so it will not wipe your data.

WARNING: If you use ATT, then sideloading an OTA will force a factory reset. It's an ATT thing.

Before you ask. Yes you can flash N950U1 firmware on your (whatever US carrier) device. You can also flash it on the Canadian N950W!! They are all the same device hardware wise. No it will NOT trip Knox. No, you can NOT flash this on a N9500. No, you can NOT flash this on a N950F (You already have your own beta, why are you in this thread? O.o)

To flash the N950U1 firmware on your N950U or N950W and register for the official beta:

This guide is assuming you already have ADB, Fastboot, and Samsung drivers set up and working on your PC.

Step 1.
This will wipe your device, so perform a back up.

Step 2.
Download the latest N950U1 firmware, version CRL2 using this link:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...89523397886161 MD5: dc5acb4ab31c6fc22e595a47e6e0b3c5

Step 3.
Extract the zip file you just downloaded into a folder where you can find it easily.

Step 4.
Download patched ODIN v. 3.13.1_3B https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-13-1-t3762572

Step 5.
Open Patched ODIN and fill in the slots with the corresponding files you just downloaded from SamFirm. Use CSC_OYN, not HOME_CSC. ODIN will lock up when you load up the AP file. Just wait it out. Trust me.

Step 6.
Put your Note 8 in Download mode and attach to your PC.

Step 7.
If ODIN say "ADDED!" in the log window, it recognized your phone. Hit START and go have a cup of coffee, or a beer. This will take a while.

THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE. You did a backup, right?

Step 8.
Once ODIN completes and says "PASS," let the phone boot up and go through the setup wizard.

Step 9.
Follow the steps above to get registered for the official beta.

Step 10.
DONE

If for some reason you can't get registered for the beta, don't fret! There's a work around for that too!!

Step 1.
Follow the steps above to make sure you're on N950U1 build CRL2.

Step 2.
Then go to https://firmware.science and download the ZSAB update zip. Just choose Note 8 N950U1 as your model, and CRL2 as your current build.

Step 3.
Once it's downloaded, either flash it in recovery from SD Card, or sideload it via ADB.

Step 4.
DONE

Step 5.
As of February 19th, 2019, Samsung pushed beta 2. Manually check for a software update to N950U1UEU5ZSBB. If it doesn't appear, you can download it here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid...89523397901568 md5:1cadf77f8d7a565c64f3b28940f9fc85. Sideload it over N950U1UEU5ZSAB in Recovery. It is an OTA so it will not wipe your data.

WARNING: If you use ATT, then sideloading an OTA will force a factory reset. It's an ATT thing.

Before you ask, no you cannot just flash it from CRK1 or any build other than CRL2. And no it won't work if you're on carrier branded firmware. It has to be done from CRL2 for the N950U1.

NOTE: If you decide to downgrade back to Oreo, you will need to do a factory reset first. Otherwise you'll get a bootloop after flashing Oreo.

Thank you to @Nickitt and @jester450 for the ZSBB update zip!

A special thanks to @henklbr for the idea for this thread. His discussions for the international Note 9 and Note 8 betas are a source of great information, and I hope this thread will be the same for the US Note 8!

Also thank you to @Mike15678 and @BlueFox721 for their detailed carrier switching threads. I"ve been following their threads since the S8+, and have used that foundation of information on my Note 8 and Note 9. Without them, I would not know how to switch to the U1 firmware on my carrier device and would not be able to teach others how to do it and get on this official beta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190125-091834_Samsung+.jpg
Views:	6560
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	4693510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190125-093347_Software update.jpg
Views:	6484
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	4693511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190125-104330_Settings.jpg
Views:	6306
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	4693512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190219-203104_Software update.jpg
Views:	3204
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	4708755  
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Orange 645 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr. Orange 645 Ad-Free

25th January 2019, 04:56 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Springfield

Donate to Me
More
For simplicity sake, NO discussion of the leaked "D" builds. This thread is ONLY for the official beta z builds

Here is a guide I made that helps you figure out which version of Android you're running or downloading

You can tell what version of Android it is just by the build number. You can also tell if each update just contains the updated security patch, or if new features were added or updated.

The first part of the build number never changes. It will start with your model number (N950U or N950U1) followed by a region code for your model number (UE for US unlocked or SQ for US carrier models). After that, there is a 5 character build number that changes with each version.

The first character (S or U) tells you if it's a security patch or a feature update. S = Security Patch and U = Feature Update (features added or changed)

The second character (a number) tells you bootloader version. This is important to know when upgrading and downgrading OS versions. You can NOT downgrade the bootloader. 1 = Bootloader V1, 2 = Bootloader v2, etc...

The third character tells you the Android version. This is different for each Galaxy device. A is the Android version that device was released with. (For the Note 8 A=Nougat; B=Nougat with updated bootloader/carrier switching; C=Oreo, D=Pie) Z is for official Samsung BETA program builds.

The fourth character is the year of the build (R=2018, S=2019). This is the same across all Galaxy devices.

The fifth character is the month of the build. This does not indicate what security patch it contains, only what month it was built. (A=January, B=February). Again, same across all Galaxy Devices.

The sixth character is just the sequence of builds that month (1-9, then A-Z)

So, official Oreo build S5CRG9 is:

S - Security Patch
5 - Bootloader V5
C - Oreo
R - 2018
G - July build
9 - 9th build in July

and leaked Pie build U5DRL7 is:

U - Feature update
5 - Bootloader V5
D - Pie
R - 2018
L - December build
7 - 7th build in December

and official Pie beta build U5ZSAB is:

U - Feature update
5 - Bootloader v5
Z - Official Samsung BETA program build
S - 2019
A - January build
B - 11th build in January

So let's break down my current build number, N950U1UEU1ZSAB

N950U1 - Build is for the Factory unlocked U1 model
UE - Region code US Unlocked
U - Feature update
5 - Bootloader v5
Z - Official Samsung BETA program build
S - 2019
A - January build
B - 11th build in January

Always make sure you know what bootloader version comes with each build before you flash it. This is especially important with the leaked builds. If you flash a leaked Pie build, and it is already updated to bootloader V6, you will be stuck there, which will really suck if its a buggy build.

As of right now, if you update to either the leaked Pie builds, or the official beta build, you can easily downgrade back to Oreo using patched ODIN. Just repeat the steps in the OP. But once Samsung updates the bootloader to V6, most likely after the official release of Pie, you won't be able to downgrade.

NOTE: If you decide to downgrade back to Oreo, you will need to do a factory reset first. Otherwise you'll get a bootloop after flashing Oreo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Orange 645 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr. Orange 645 Ad-Free
25th January 2019, 04:59 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Springfield

Donate to Me
More
I will try to keep this post updated with the current bugs, and fixes for those bugs as Samsung releases new builds.

The OP may change and evolve as I try to update and streamline it. Always check there for the most recent information first. Just also understand I'm not on here 24/7, so it may take some time for me to update it. Full time job, 5 kids, and a couple hours in the gym each day, my day is fairly full, LOL.

Bug Fix #1:
Even though I said no discussion of the current LEAKED D builds, I will point out one thing. Netflix and some other video services did not work on DRL6 or 7 (just showed a black screen). Netflix DOES now work properly on the official Pie beta.

Bug Fix #2
Not so much a but, but an annoyance. AdHell 3.1.1.254 now works perfectly. Not sure if it's because AdHell was updated, or something was fixed between the leaked D builds and the Official beta. But it now works!

Bug Fix #3
In the previous leaked Pie builds, AR Emojis didn't work in the stock camera. They are now working as intended.

BUG #4:
Gear wearables, such as the Gear S3 and Galaxy watch won't connect. It says to check for an update. Solution - go to apkmirror.com and download the gear s plug-in.

BUG #5:
When using either DeX or screen mirroring mode, Nerflix shows a black screen, but audio works. Netflix video works just fine on the phone, but doesn't show on the TV screen. Tried with both a DeX Pad and a DeX cable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Orange 645 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr. Orange 645 Ad-Free
25th January 2019, 06:00 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Hello,

Asking as a better safe than sorry...using SamFirm to download the CRL2 firmware, I have a N950U purchased from Samsung on T-Mobile. In the Model field I have entered SM-N950U1, for the region would I use XAA or should I use TMB since my SIM is a T-Mobile Sim?

Thank you for this write up!
The Following User Says Thank You to baz2a For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift baz2a Ad-Free
25th January 2019, 06:03 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Springfield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2a

Hello,

Asking as a better safe than sorry...using SamFirm to download the CRL2 firmware, I have a N950U purchased from Samsung on T-Mobile. In the Model field I have entered SM-N950U1, for the region would I use XAA or should I use TMB since my SIM is a T-Mobile Sim?

Use XAA. Do it exactly as I have in my picture. I am also using T-Mobile, just FYI.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Orange 645 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr. Orange 645 Ad-Free
25th January 2019, 06:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645

Use XAA. Do it exactly as I have in my picture. I am also using T-Mobile, just FYI.

Thank you for the reply and clarification! My apologies, completely blanked and skipped over screenshots since your write up read so clearly.
The Following User Says Thank You to baz2a For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift baz2a Ad-Free
25th January 2019, 06:15 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Springfield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2a

Hello,

I clarified this in my guide. Thank you!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Orange 645 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr. Orange 645 Ad-Free
26th January 2019, 02:29 AM |#8  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 6

More
You mentioned most models, What about N950W? can I flash the CRL2 than update with SS-N950U1UEU5CRL2-to-EU5ZSAB-UP on a Canadian model (SM-N950W).. Thank you
26th January 2019, 03:36 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saroot

You mentioned most models, What about N950W? can I flash the CRL2 than update with SS-N950U1UEU5CRL2-to-EU5ZSAB-UP on a Canadian model (SM-N950W).. Thank you

I can confirm, I'm using a SM-N950W (Videotron) and it works, the only "pucker moment" was when I updated to Pie from the SD card, it wouldn't automatically do it in recovery, so I had to wait for the menu then manually flash it from the SD card. The only hiccup so far is I have a persistent "Sprint OMADM" notification that ti's checking the device status. I'll probably flash my carrier CSC so I can get rid of that, and also get wifi calling and VOLTE back; it's what I did on the leaked betas.
EDIT: I flashed my carrier CSC using the patched Odin. after everything settled down. On reboot the install froze at 32% (which happened on the closed betas also) reboot and voila! My carrier services are back. No more OMADM either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jowhee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jowhee Ad-Free
26th January 2019, 03:45 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Springfield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saroot

Yes! This will work for Canadian models as well. Thank you for bringing that up!
26th January 2019, 04:10 AM |#11  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 1,713

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowhee

I can confirm, I'm using a SM-N950W (Videotron) and it works, the only "pucker moment" was when I updated to Pie from the SD card, it wouldn't automatically do it in recovery, so I had to wait for the menu then manually flash it from the SD card. The only hiccup so far is I have a persistent "Sprint OMADM" notification that ti's checking the device status. I'll probably flash my carrier CSC so I can get rid of that, and also get wifi calling and VOLTE back; it's what I did on the leaked betas.

That's normal and not a hiccup because if the update was downloaded over the air from the carrier or Samsung it would have flashed on it's own because it would have downloaded it to the /data folder something that we don't have access to without root and if we did we could make it automatically flash on a reboot but because we don't have access we all have to do it manually.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike2182 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrMike2182 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
beta, n950u1, one ui, pie

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)