FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

HP Elite X3 Lap Dock With Stock Note 9

756 posts
Thanks Meter: 135

By StardustGeass, Senior Member on 28th August 2018, 08:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As I promised, here is my review on using HP Elite Lap Dock X3 with my Note 9

First thing first, the connection quality.
I don't understand why, but it sometimes need several times of reconnecting my note 9 to the lap dock to be recognized properly. Sometimes, my phone recognizes it as only a HDMI monitor, so the keyboard and touchpad doesn't work. On other time, it sometimes shows up in a not FHD screen (it appears blurry and resolution is very low(. Both of this problem can be fixed by reconnecting the phone (sometimes, several times).

Secondly, the audio.
THIS is my main problem and hesitation on using my hp lap dock with a dex phone. On my rooted, Oreo Samsung S8, the audio just doesn't want to output to the HP Lap Dock. And.... It happens as well with my note 9.
Even worse, is the audio rerouting option. When I used my rooted S8, I can reroute the audio output to my S8 using Samsung's Smart Switch app. On my Note 9, when I checked the smartswitch options, there is only a HDMI output and USB Audio output. There is NO option to reroute the audio back to the phone.

*Just a note, my HP Lap Dock audio itself is working. I tested it by connecting it with my Surface Go and it can output sound pretty nice.

Third, the USB-C connector on the right.
Yep, just the same experience with my rooted S8, it doesn't work. Such a bummer.

Well, so far what I've reviewed is the bad side of using HP Lap Dock as dex compaion.. But what are the pros?

First of all, portability.
Well, actually not that portable since this lap dock is quite huge and you'll be getting a better laptop in this size using windows laptop or macbook. But, if you're in a pinch of money after getting sucked dry when pre-ordering your note 9, or you just wanted to show off note 9 capabilities, this is it.

Secondly, the screen and keyboard.
Well, basically this lap dock have a very good screen and keyboard. If you're planning on writing a lot of thing on the go, you can use this.

Personally, eve though I just bought a Microsoft Surface Go, I still prefer the android-dex for my main daily usage. The reason is, android just seems to be a lot practical to use (open youtube? just click the app, no need to type in the browser). The surface go only sits there to ensure whether there is some things that need to be done using .exe applications or complex writing using Microsoft full-fledge office 365 suite.

Hopefully, this review is helpful for anyone planning to use it

*For the record, my hp lap dock system version is at 8.0.11.0.
Anyone using different system version may encounter difference in experience.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StardustGeass For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift StardustGeass Ad-Free

28th August 2018, 12:14 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thanks for posting the review! I have messed around a little with my wife's Note 9 on my HP lapdock and I will post a review as well on this thread based on my own personal experience.

By the way, how do you know what system version your lapdock is using?
28th August 2018, 12:49 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jakarta

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidNoob#317

Thanks for posting the review! I have messed around a little with my wife's Note 9 on my HP lapdock and I will post a review as well on this thread based on my own personal experience.

By the way, how do you know what system version your lapdock is using?

It is shown when you turn on the lap dock, and it shows whether to connect via USB c (on the left) or wireless display (on the right). On the right side, there is a lap dock software under the lap dock ID on wireless mirroring
9th September 2018, 07:27 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I shot a quick raw video of me using my Note 9 with the HP lapdock. The speakers work great and the usb-c ports on the right are also functional. Also worth mentioning is that when I receive a phone call, the game music pauses and the audio re-routes to my bluetooth headset. When I am finished with the call, the sound routes back to the lapdock!
The Following User Says Thank You to StupidNoob#317 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift StupidNoob#317 Ad-Free
9th September 2018, 10:53 PM |#5  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1,250

More
Link does not work. What happened?
10th September 2018, 12:00 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by @rbiter

Link does not work. What happened?

Try
Sent from my Samsung SM-N960F using XDA Labs
10th September 2018, 12:27 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jakarta

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKchrias

Try

Woah, that's really nice..
Now I wonder why mine doesn't have a working speaker and right port..
11th September 2018, 05:58 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Just picked up mine and everything works except for the trackpad. The trackpad mouse movements work fine but the left and right mouse clicks don't work at all. Finger tap for left click and two finger tap for right click work fine but not the physical trackpad buttons. Anyone else getting this too?

Does anyone know if the lapdock charge with a phone charger (QC 3.0 or PD) via the USB-C?
12th September 2018, 05:00 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jakarta

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveabu

Just picked up mine and everything works except for the trackpad. The trackpad mouse movements work fine but the left and right mouse clicks don't work at all. Finger tap for left click and two finger tap for right click work fine but not the physical trackpad buttons. Anyone else getting this too?

Does anyone know if the lapdock charge with a phone charger (QC 3.0 or PD) via the USB-C?

Have tried several chargers (PD 30, 45W chargers and power banks from several manufacturers), still can't find one that charges the lapdock...
12th September 2018, 05:06 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Thats a huge dealbreaker for me. Will probably have to return it. The power brick and cable is so insanely bulky kinda takes the point away of a compact device

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustGeass

Have tried several chargers (PD 30, 45W chargers and power banks from several manufacturers), still can't find one that charges the lapdock...

12th September 2018, 07:15 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jakarta

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveabu

Thats a huge dealbreaker for me. Will probably have to return it. The power brick and cable is so insanely bulky kinda takes the point away of a compact device

Hahaha... I agree so much...
Well, for me, I just treat the power brick as my main phone charger as well.. that way, I'm not that bothered by it (since i always carry a backpack to work)..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)