FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[9.0|PIE][SEMI-GSI]Pixel Experience 9.0 [NOTE9/S9/S9+][10.12]

414 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,111

By Rainbow_Dash, Senior Member on 12th October 2018, 09:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Rainbow_Dash: initial release
This is more or less a copy-paste from the same thread over the s9 section but whatevs. I thought you guys would like this too.
Pixel Experience ROM for the NOTE 9

What is this?
Quote:

Pixel Experience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, bootanimation)
Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential features for the proper functioning of the device
Based on Android 9.0

Semi-GSI? what's that?
a semi-gsi (at least by my own definition) is a gsi built from source, with heavy patches intended for a specific device that wouldn't make the gsi necessarily as universal as a gsi should be. so in terms: don't flash this on other devices.

How does this differ from any other gsis out there/what are the features?
Well this includes a number of fixes including:
Dual speakers are working.
Ui lag is no more (at least 99.99%).
Aod is working/enabled.
Auto brightness is kinda working.
MTP is working
Other performance fixes and improvments.

What's working/not working?

First up:
Quote:

Obviously Samsung's own features such as Samsung Pay, KNOX, Theme Center, Game Launcher, etc. won't be ported to LineageOS Pixel Experience. We may have our own implementation to similar functions, though.
Iris sensor does not work because AOSP upstream does not support that yet.
IMS services (VoLTE, VoWiFi, etc). Samsung has their own proprietary implementation. It is not really possible to easily port that to LineageOS PixelExperience.

2ndly the semi-gsi has a few quirks of it's own. Nothing major or worth noting but you should check the "anything else i should know?" part in the FAQ. hence why HWC is broken

Instructions:
Make sure TWRP has been installed and functional.
Download the latest build image and kernel linked below
Reboot to recovery
Wipe system, data and cache from the wipe menu
Select flash image in twrp, lower right side on the install menu
Flash the rom image as system (and gapps). DONT flash gapps. they are already included in the rom.
Flash the kernel image corresponding to your model as boot
Reboot and enjoy

Downloads:
Galaxy S9/S9+ Exynos semi-gsi image link: (G965/N960/F/FD/S/N): here

Kernel image link(important to use this. read more in FAQ):
S9 Exynos: here

S9+ Exynos: here

Note 9 Exynos: here

A pretty good (unofficial) mirror for (some of the) above files and more is this
Providing feedback:
You are more than welcome to provide any kind of feedback here.
(limited only to feature requests; it's called "pixel experience" for a reason and it should stay that way)
You can also msg me anytime on telegram @ Rainbow_Alex_Dash

Telegram group?
I usually like to hang around here . It isn't mine but hey.
For note 9 more specifically i hang around here too

Changelog:

12.10.2018:
Initial release Boi

Troubleshooting/FAQ:

Q:Can i use any other kernels with this gsi?
A:Nah, not really. I built this kernel specifically to work with this gsi and it includes a few major fixes (for example mtp won't work,major ui lag, no dual speakers etc if you switch to another kernel. But again. If you want to use other kernels, they should* boot. Endurance kernel even has my dual speaker patch and i confirm as working. But again expect bugs.

Q: Is there anything else i should know?
A: Ehhhhhhh, not really. I mean there are some stuff i'm really not proud of,for example to "fix" the ui lag i had to set the minimum gpu frequency to 455; this shouldn't create any issues(perhaps some battery drainage when screen is on) but afaik it doesn't impact sleep or anything else.

Q:Would this be preferred over a device specific rom?
A: Overall nah. The reason i didn't set on building device specific los16.....well actually i did and failed. But this is a pretty good placeholder until someone more skilled than me takes over and creates pie device trees.

Q: Safetynet doesn't pass?
A: Yeah, i guess that's a thing. Go into magisk and download some module called props hide or something. Don't forget to run it from terminal. It should work from there

Q: The rom isn't booting/camera doesn't work
A: Flash/make sure you have the BRI4 vendor, the linked kernel and try again.

Q: The rom is in a bootloop/google apps keep crashing
A: You did read the instructions and NOT flash any gapps riighhttt?? smh, wipe /system,/data and /cache and start over

Q: I have another bug; How can i tell it to you while slightly increasing my changes of it ever getting fixed.
A: You can tell me what's going on either here or on telegram WITH A LOGCAT attached(required);if rom isn't booting at all attach /proc/last_kmsg.

Q: I don't know what/how to logcat. Is it really necessary?
A: Logcat or gtfo

Q: How can i support you?
A: Awwww thanks; On most of my posts on the left side there's a "donate to me" paypal button; You can use that,donations are more than welcome, or if you don't have any $ to spare you can also post here about how awesome i am (this surprisingly helps very much)

Credits:
The lineageos team; device maintainers who did a wonderful job at creating device trees
The pixel experience team for creating the rom we so do enjoy
Many good people from the telegram group (linked above) that helped me create this project and spamming for etas
Big thanx to iqbal sareem best creationner ever; great help

XDA:DevDB Information
Pixel Experience 9.0 Semi-Gsi for the S9/S9+, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Contributors
Rainbow_Dash, phhusson,malinathani, eamo5, jesec
Source Code: https://github.com/rainbowdashh/

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Stable Release Date: 2018-10-12

Created 2018-10-12
Last Updated 2018-10-13
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Rainbow_Dash For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Rainbow_Dash Ad-Free

13th October 2018, 01:57 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 261

More
Thanks for sharing.
Wonder if this Kernal image will work with other GSI roms to get them running as smooth as this rom.
13th October 2018, 07:07 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Is it possible to add S Pen support in the future? I mean, that's one big reason why people buy the Note 9 rather than the S9+
13th October 2018, 08:11 AM |#4  
Flag Manama, Bahrain
Thanks Meter: 639

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenjie1234

Is it possible to add S Pen support in the future? I mean, that's one big reason why people buy the Note 9 rather than the S9+

Spen does work as a pointer and to tap and even draw..

The spen button does nothing though. And obviously, the spen settings and apps are all Samsung made so they won't be working here. Highly doubt Spen would work ever on aosp like stock due to Samsung apps incompatibility
13th October 2018, 08:20 AM |#5  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 639

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenjie1234

Spen went work without Sammy's framework but there are plenty of apps on play store that offered similar effects to Sammy's own. I used them on my note tablet when I ran any other rom then sammy roms.
13th October 2018, 09:18 AM |#6  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 451

Donate to Me
More
Yes! I've been waiting for this. Thank you so much. Flashing right now. Will report back!

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Flashed it but no dual speaker or data. Do I flash the kernel to the system partition too? Doesn't say in FAQ?
13th October 2018, 09:48 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,111

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3xxt0y

Yes! I've been waiting for this. Thank you so much. Flashing right now. Will report back!

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Flashed it but no dual speaker or data. Do I flash the kernel to the system partition too? Doesn't say in FAQ?

I don't know what you mean by data but i do know the kernel is supposed to be flashed as boot
13th October 2018, 02:45 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Problem with fingerprint here.
Only first touch for new finger is registered.
After that it's not working anymore.
13th October 2018, 04:12 PM |#9  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 451

Donate to Me
More
Data as in mobile / cellular data as discussed in telegram.

For anyone who has no cellular manually add your APN info in network settings.

Fingerprint does work and adds, go to settings and add fingerprints the registration bit is a bit finnicky but it adds them and they work.
The Following User Says Thank You to CodeFox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CodeFox Ad-Free
14th October 2018, 05:30 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
A theoretical question/crazy idea:
Will installing Magisk's xmlpak module enable us to download and use the Samsung camera and spen features in this mod? So we could get the super slow mo, etc, back? Thanks
15th October 2018, 08:05 AM |#11  
Flag Ma sweet home
Thanks Meter: 597

More
I followed the instructions by flashing the proper kernel image without gapps, but still bootloops in the Google Screen.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)