FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Compass off on pie?

224 posts
Thanks Meter: 46

By Rsmin, Senior Member on 10th February 2019, 10:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Other forums are saying that pie has messed up the compass? Many are seeing their compass off 90 degrees in their note 9.

Anyone seeing that problem?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following User Says Thank You to Rsmin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Rsmin Ad-Free

10th February 2019, 02:26 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmin

Other forums are saying that pie has messed up the compass? Many are seeing their compass off 90 degrees in their note 9.

Anyone seeing that problem?

Me too … Hundreds over at Samsung forums … I spent a few hours one the phone with Sprint, tech finally told me it was a firmware problem and they could do nothing LOLOL … taking mine back tomorrow , 1000 dollar phone and no help
10th February 2019, 11:01 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzus

Me too … Hundreds over at Samsung forums … I spent a few hours one the phone with Sprint, tech finally told me it was a firmware problem and they could do nothing LOLOL … taking mine back tomorrow , 1000 dollar phone and no help

Wow. Sorry that happened. I have had mine too long to take back but haven't taken the update yet.

11th February 2019, 11:46 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
I've got the issue too (Exynos 512 GB version), but it's 180° off every time I open a localisation app. I always have to calibrate it again by doing the 8 gesture.

Edit: but it occurred on Oreo too.
11th February 2019, 11:52 AM |#5  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 489

More
It might not be the pie update but more of an issue with the earths magnetic poles.

National Geographic: The north magnetic pole just changed. Here's what that means..
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...vigation-maps/

I could be wrong lol.
11th February 2019, 12:13 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 195

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkManX4lf

It might not be the pie update but more of an issue with the earth[']s magnetic poles..

That's a change of a tiny fraction of a degree this year. You couldn't possibly notice it. People throughout the US are talking about a 90-degree error.
11th February 2019, 10:59 PM |#7  
Flag Bolton
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Maybe when North Korea tested there nuclear weapons it moved the earth's axis slightly

I read this on farcebook so its defo true
12th February 2019, 09:53 PM |#8  
Flag Somewhere in Southeastern Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary02468

That's a change of a tiny fraction of a degree this year. You couldn't possibly notice it. People throughout the US are talking about a 90-degree error.

THAT is correct - when I point my phone North in my house (or outside my house), and I know where North is at my House, North on the phone's Compass is pointing due East! 90 degrees off! Re-calibrated in three different apps and even the "*#0*#" Menu - No Go! Only since the Pie/One UI Update! Totally weird - I do not understand how an OS Update could affect an internal hardware sensor in a phone, but hey, what do I know?
12th February 2019, 10:55 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 195

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd1050

I do not understand how an OS Update could affect an internal hardware sensor in a phone

The OS provides a layer of software (known as drivers) that interfaces between the sensors and the apps that use the sensors. So if Samsung screws up the drivers, apps will get bad data even though the sensors themselves work properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary02468 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gary02468 Ad-Free
12th February 2019, 11:41 PM |#10  
Yeah mine is basically a 90 degree counterclockwise turn from where it should be.
13th February 2019, 04:02 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 213

More
They are preparing us for "investment of the magnetic poles", predictive programming...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)