11,297 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,320

Post Reply Email Thread
11th September 2019, 03:28 PM |#671  
Thanks Meter: 191

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty1973

not sure if that sarcastic **** stain was dor me. if so here. no **** nitt what i meant no matter what i did the moment the phone came on agead of the bootloader my phone was hacked over and over sprint claimed bullshit and igas managers un 5 storeateywhat theywanted to stop it they all dmdailed. sewms rom if tuo pause the bootloader startup y xant you ger in first then your not locked out you have xinteol. not technical root but qhatever theres a bine i.n there simeone will run with it. ih yeah i still have that xarrupt ass phone. told the dude who hacked itill need itone day. so i killed it and put it uo as for u mfers ill tell tou what ya sound like 7th grade bitches someone should bitch slap the noth of you. no one jonestly gives a f÷/k we just wNt rooted ****.my god you all think we dont do the rounds check everywhere reg like. god damn stfu and figure out that or date

"Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about the things?" - Homer Simpson
17th September 2019, 01:10 AM |#672  
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Hello everyone. Just to be blunt, I'm nowhere near your knowledge when it comes to rooting but I was dilly-dallying on my phone before I had to leave for work and I found I could access files through xgimp, the app that is like Microsoft Paint. Anyway if you load the app and then click on open files and then click on file system I see that I can view all the system files that you cannot View or at least I cannot View with any other file managing application or similar like my files on Samsung. I can only see the files they allow me which is the non root or the user files. When you go into the file system in Gimp it gives you a view of all the system files including root but I had no more time to mess around before I had to leave. I don't know if this is of any interest to anyone trying to root but if somebody wants to take a look here's a screenshot to prove what I'm seeing. As for moving files around or what the permissions are, or what can be done I'm not sure but let me know if I'm wasting time or if maybe in some way I found something useful. I am dying for this phone to be rooted so that is the only reason I am adding this. Like I said I'm not experienced but I do know when I can view system files that you cannot from any other app there must be something special going on and I thought maybe it might be useful. Cheers on your work and all the hours you put in have been much appreciated and I wish you all the luck in the world. Thanks a million. I am quite familiar with routing but have only rooted the S3 and Nexus 5 and S7 and that's all. I do know system files when I see them and these appear to be system files and not user files.

The Following User Says Thank You to TWiiTCH For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TWiiTCH Ad-Free
17th September 2019, 01:30 AM |#673  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Montreal
Thanks Meter: 6,383

Donate to Me
More
Just saw this is for sept. N960FXXU3CSI3

Another bl update ? Could it mean a security flaw in the second one? Fingers crossed.
The Following User Says Thank You to DAGr8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DAGr8 Ad-Free
17th September 2019, 04:10 AM |#674  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiiTCH

Hello everyone. Just to be blunt, I'm nowhere near your knowledge when it comes to rooting but I was dilly-dallying on my phone before I had to leave for work and I found I could access files through xgimp, the app that is like Microsoft Paint. Anyway if you load the app and then click on open files and then click on file system I see that I can view all the system files that you cannot View or at least I cannot View with any other file managing application or similar like my files on Samsung. I can only see the files they allow me which is the non root or the user files. When you go into the file system in Gimp it gives you a view of all the system files including root but I had no more time to mess around before I had to leave. I don't know if this is of any interest to anyone trying to root but if somebody wants to take a look here's a screenshot to prove what I'm seeing. As for moving files around or what the permissions are, or what can be done I'm not sure but let me know if I'm wasting time or if maybe in some way I found something useful. I am dying for this phone to be rooted so that is the only reason I am adding this. Like I said I'm not experienced but I do know when I can view system files that you cannot from any other app there must be something special going on and I thought maybe it might be useful. Cheers on your work and all the hours you put in have been much appreciated and I wish you all the luck in the world. Thanks a million. I am quite familiar with routing but have only rooted the S3 and Nexus 5 and S7 and that's all. I do know system files when I see them and these appear to be system files and not user files.

That is standard, any advanced file manager app for the phone itself can also view those files (except some that are in directories which have file masks preventing directory traversal... although you could probably see them externally if you mounted the devices external storage directly)... they're just hidden from the default "my files" app, as well as some less advanced file managers. You can even download a shell app and execute many of the commands you can see in one of the "bin" directories... nothing useful, just like `pwd' , `whoami' , etc... Unfortunately, nothing too crazy...

Although I did notice that I had somehow installed a bunch of symlinks into the root system bin. It happened when I first got the phone and was trying to put a minimal busybox install on it without root... I was messing around forever... installing tons of different flavors, adding permissions via adb, trying to install through adb. Eventually it worked. Still pretty basic functionality, as I could not access the hardware at a low enough level to run even TCP or ICMP traceroutes, but it had successfully put all the symlinks into the default system bin, like it would have done on a rooted device. I later attempted to manually create a symlink in a protected folder (after a few updates), it failed. However the symlinks added by the busybox install are still there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
17th September 2019, 12:30 PM |#675  
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett428

That is standard, any advanced file manager app for the phone itself can also view those files (except some that are in directories which have file masks preventing directory traversal... although you could probably see them externally if you mounted the devices external storage directly)... they're just hidden from the default "my files" app, as well as some less advanced file managers. You can even download a shell app and execute many of the commands you can see in one of the "bin" directories... nothing useful, just like `pwd' , `whoami' , etc... Unfortunately, nothing too crazy...

Although I did notice that I had somehow installed a bunch of symlinks into the root system bin. It happened when I first got the phone and was trying to put a minimal busybox install on it without root... I was messing around forever... installing tons of different flavors, adding permissions via adb, trying to install through adb. Eventually it worked. Still pretty basic functionality, as I could not access the hardware at a low enough level to run even TCP or ICMP traceroutes, but it had successfully put all the symlinks into the default system bin, like it would have done on a rooted device. I later attempted to manually create a symlink in a protected folder (after a few updates), it failed. However the symlinks added by the busybox install are still there.

Sounds good brother, I'm just trying to help and I had never seen those files through any of the file browsers or apps that I have used on my Note 9. The only time I've ever had access to them in any way shape or form was when my device was rooted, my older devices I mean. I wish you the best of luck and if anything else pops into my mind I will share it but it sounds like you're way ahead of me which is kind of exciting because it makes the chance of root that much more possible then as if I was attempting it myself haha. I thought I was onto something but I guess I will just have to let it go and keep my fingers crossed. I have faith in you though. Later!
22nd September 2019, 06:47 AM |#676  
OP Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGr8

Another bl update ? Could it mean a security flaw in the second one? Fingers crossed.

this thread is for discussion on usa locked SD variants.. not unlockable F exynos variants..

to add, sometimes exploits are chip specific so could b a vuln on exynos or both.. who knows lol
22nd September 2019, 06:50 AM |#677  
OP Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett428

lol there many ways to view and modify firmware.. just mount in linux lol.. also for boot/recovery can use tools like magiskboot or sukernel etc
The Following User Says Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th September 2019, 07:55 PM |#678  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGr8

😂
N960F U3 exynos ?
Elliwigy can even konx0 root
Exynos device security restrictions are low, konx0 root is easy..
Note10, of course, is not in that category

So, Exynos devices don't need to be discussed, and we're talking about the qualcomm model!
1st October 2019, 08:42 PM |#679  
Thanks Meter: 121

More
I sure am glad you genius type dudes are still trying to get root on the 960U. Damn terrible business practices!! Keep fighting the good fight! Maybe some day!!
3rd October 2019, 05:13 AM |#680  
Flag Winnipeg,Manitoba
Thanks Meter: 243

More
Seems like we won't see root for this device ever
3rd October 2019, 01:01 PM |#681  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1,503

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash Kaushal

Seems like we won't see root for this device ever

are you implying that people should just...dare i say it:just move on?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
developer, galaxy, note9, root, samsung

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)