rooty tooty

Search This thread

globalsearch

Mar 21, 2011
I am reposting this because I posted it as a reply in the wrong forum. Hope this is of help to you all.

Sooooo... To fix the write problem in 4.4.2 - which I am still running, I took the plunge today. I am running the SM-P900 running 4.4.2

1. I downloaded the KINGROOT apk (NewKingrootV4.85_C139_B255_xda_release_2016_03_30 _105243.apk 8.5mb)
downloaded the file from http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=17662
referenced in this thread http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/one-click-root-tool-android-2-x-5-0-t3107461
2. Installed it and let it do its thing
3. Downloaded and installed RootChecker Basic
4. Ran the RootChecker and it came back as properly rooted.
5. Downloaded and instaslled the NextApp SDFix
6. Ran the NextAppSDFix to change the settings (in \system\etc\permissions\platform.xml)
7. It made the changes and left a file named platform.xml.original-pre-sdfix in the same directory
8. Rebooted to make the changes go into effect.
9. Tested Total Commander and ES File Explorer and both have access to write
10. Being the un-trusting soul that I am, I uninstalled Trusty and Kingroot
11. Rebooted
12. Tested Total Commander and ES File Explorer and both have access to write
13. Even ran Greenify to check to see if any remains of kingroot is still around - nothing
14. I am NO LONGER ROOTED - but I have full permissions to the external SD - AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FROM THE VERY G*%DD#$% BEGINNING.
YOU HEAR THAT? GOOGLE ANDROID "development team" -- YEAH THATS RIGHT - YOU MORONS CAUSED US ALL KINDS OF TROUBLE BY TAKING AWAY THE WRITE OPTION. MORONS.

....calm......whoosaahh......whooosaaahh.....

So there. Its done. All is right with the world again
So now we wait for any gremlins that may show up....

treetopsranch

Jul 19, 2014
So now we wait for any gremlins that may show up....[/QUOTE]
Keep us posted. I want to do what you did also.

globalsearch

Mar 21, 2011
Well, it is day three. Had some random reboots, mostly because of google play. I unloaded it back to factory. Turned on Developer mode and shut off the three screen multipliers. System seems stable and a little more snappy.

And I love the ability of ALL apps being able to properly write to the SD card. Boneheads at android.