Is Lineage worth it?

Search This thread

markiejones

Dec 27, 2010
My SM-P900 is a great device, in terms of screen and pen, but not at all smooth (I'm on stock 5.0.2). It feels to me more like a hardware issue - not enough RAM, nor horsepower to deal with the all the pixels being pushed. I've have been poking around this forum all morning, and I'm still left with a couple of questions:

- does Lineage improve the lagginess to a noticeable degree?
- Is there a quick Odin way to get it back to stock as a last resort?

My SM-P900 is a great device, in terms of screen and pen, but not at all smooth (I'm on stock 5.0.2). It feels to me more like a hardware issue - not enough RAM, nor horsepower to deal with the all the pixels being pushed. I've have been poking around this forum all morning, and I'm still left with a couple of questions:

- does Lineage improve the lagginess to a noticeable degree?
- Is there a quick Odin way to get it back to stock as a last resort?

yes it is . i have resisted for the last three years but now have succumbed. the upgrade is well worth it and battery life has suddenly come back to how it was. faster snappier and more customisable. better in every way. i only did this last week and do not regret it for an instant

markiejones

Dec 27, 2010
Update - totally worth it! Buttery smooth.

Odin method was actually pretty easy. Got nervous when the first boot took about 8 minutes, but it landed eventually.

gabe23111

Oct 27, 2009

Odin method was actually pretty easy. Got nervous when the first boot took about 8 minutes, but it landed eventually.
HI, as strange as it sounds I actually just got my hands on a new Note Pro 12.2. Based on what I've been reading I think I would be better off rooting it. Probably better to do it now before I start using it.

Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction or share with me a link on how to root it? I'm not a total newbie at rooting, but have not done it in a long time (last root was my HP Touchpad :)).

I tried searching, but so many options are showing up and it's getting very confusing as to what to flash. I don't want to flash an out-dated build.

Thank you
-Gabe

markiejones

Dec 27, 2010
Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction or share with me a link on how to root it?
Thank you
-Gabe

First you should confirm your model number - mine is the standard wifi-only module - SM-P900

For that model, the instructions at the top post of this post worked fine (don't use instructions on the lineage page - they're complex and people like me had problems getting them to work).

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-p...-7-1-xsm-p900-unofficial-cyanogenmod-t3524788

To summarize (be sure to get all the details and warnings from that post)

1. Download Odin / TWRP / Lineage build / su zip / google apps
  2. use odin to flash twrp
  3. use twrp to flash lineage, su, google apps

Reactions: gabe23111

gabe23111

Oct 27, 2009
First you should confirm your model number - mine is the standard wifi-only module - SM-P900

For that model, the instructions at the top post of this post worked fine (don't use instructions on the lineage page - they're complex and people like me had problems getting them to work).

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-p...-7-1-xsm-p900-unofficial-cyanogenmod-t3524788

First I want to say "wow!"... I can not believe I got a response so quick... I was expecting a reply in 2-3 days tops. Your are a credit to the XDA community :) I'm not a frequent poster here as you can see, but you certainly make the XDA forum look good!

I will try and tackle it this weekend when I have a bit more time (I know this will take me a bit lol).

Thank you so much for the quick response!

Kingsman1

Dec 27, 2013
Salt Lake City
First I want to say "wow!"... I can not believe I got a response so quick... I was expecting a reply in 2-3 days tops. Your are a credit to the XDA community :) I'm not a frequent poster here as you can see, but you certainly make the XDA forum look good!

I will try and tackle it this weekend when I have a bit more time (I know this will take me a bit lol).

I heard that you're having trouble with lagginess? I wonder if you're using something like DU Speed Booster to help clean your caches, etcetera, and occasionally cleaning your Recycle Bin. Also, it helps if you're able to access your SD Card properly. Some OSs (most notably 5.1.1 don't want to play nice with one that is larger than 64 gigs, or one that has the wrong filing system. I got it fixed on mine, but at this moment I don't remember how. Just give me a day or two and I'll figure it out and get back to you. Will talk with you shortly. Rob

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

I heard that you're having trouble with lagginess? I wonder if you're using something like DU Speed Booster to help clean your caches, etcetera, and occasionally cleaning your Recycle Bin. My tablet is so fast you'd think that it was just released for sale yesterday. You might want try storing photos on the cloud w/Google Photos or Dropbox. Also, it helps if you're able to access your SD Card properly. Some OSs (most notably 5.1.1 don't want to play nice with one that is larger than 64 gigs, or one that has the wrong filing system. I got it fixed on mine, but at this moment I don't remember how. Just give me a day or two and I'll figure it out and get back to you. Will talk with you shortly. Rob

natty15d

Jun 20, 2018
Im in the same boat, if i root and install lineage to get the latest Oreo version will i lose any functionality that the stock pro 12.2 has?
Can i reverse the root and go back to standard if for some reason i lose functionality on the pen etc?
In all my years of owning android tablets and phones ive never rooted one of them, but this tablet is a beast and i would like to see it running at its best and feel that a software upgrade is long over due.

Charmandrigo

Apr 4, 2014
I personally would wish somebody ported Tab S3 Samsung Experience powered by Lyneage on the P900
Despite I would love to have the most recent version of android achieved on this tablet, I just can't quit the Samsung Experience, that's the only thing I hope it happens

Reactions: natty15d

Gallion

Mar 2, 2012
My tablet is now at least as responsive as it was on 4.4.x. Lollipop had made it super laggy. I'd be tempted to say it's even faster, but I haven't really tested it yet.

superkman

Jul 4, 2018
Adobe creative cloud apps

My tablet is now at least as responsive as it was on 4.4.x. Lollipop had made it super laggy. I'd be tempted to say it's even faster, but I haven't really tested it yet.

Hi all, quick question, trolling this forum and trying to decide what is best route to go with my note pro 12.2 SM-P907A, currently on 5.1.1, my issue is that i've lost ability to install my adobe creative cloud apps, any ideas on direction to go?

Is it possible to flash another device rom to this?

cheers! & happy 4th

Ball-Dad

Oct 5, 2019

I am a total newb, would it be possible for you or anyone to give me a step-by-step list as to how to do this update...? I'm not completely inept, just need a little help... Thanks!

Total newb

I am a total newb, would it be possible for you or anyone to give me a step-by-step list as to how to do this update...? I'm not completely inept, just need a little help... Thanks!
Don't worry about the newb part, we all started somewhere... See post #6 in this thread, and have faith. It actually is fairly easy, the mistakes I have made is because I didn't follow the directions to the t... That being said, I have never bricked a de ice so badly it couldn't be recovered. Good luck!

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Hi all, quick question, trolling this forum and trying to decide what is best route to go with my note pro 12.2 SM-P907A, currently on 5.1.1, my issue is that i've lost ability to install my adobe creative cloud apps, any ideas on direction to go?

Is it possible to flash another device rom to this?

cheers! & happy 4th

Hi, I don't know that anyone has responded, but everything I have read claimed that it was a bad idea, because every ROM is specific to the device. That may be changing with a very new (I think?) development that has to do with Project Treble and GSI. If you google SM-P907A custom ROM, what do you find? You may find something if you keep poking around.....Good luck!!!

oleg.kozlovski

Nov 26, 2010
Pen Functionality

Does the SPen continue to work in LineageOS?

I want to upgrade, but I don´t want to lose the pen functionality.

For P905, you have to check if you are willing to live with the bugs that are currently on the roms.
I think the most stable for me was Lineage 14. Since it only had 1 major bug that could be kind of fixed. The others have:

1. Broken palm rejection
2. Phone related issues
3. Rotation issues on some
4. No mobile data on the latest

Unfortunately, it's pretty slow on mine that I am considering just going back to Lollipop since I want a stable device that isn't so slow.

utakurt

Feb 18, 2007
Best I ve ever done to my old P900 - LIneage (Android 7.1.2) is incredible fast and give back full functinality (some Apps I.m using very often need Android 6)....I m very happy with this upgrade

The "Error 7" code mad me crazy last afternoon - I had to format the item with TWRP and the there was no problem to install the upgrade

Gabrius99

For P905, you have to check if you are willing to live with the bugs that are currently on the roms.
I think the most stable for me was Lineage 14. Since it only had 1 major bug that could be kind of fixed. The others have:

1. Broken palm rejection
2. Phone related issues
3. Rotation issues on some
4. No mobile data on the latest

Unfortunately, it's pretty slow on mine that I am considering just going back to Lollipop since I want a stable device that isn't so slow.

Hi, what's the problem with palm recognition in 8.0+?
Tab can't recognize pen and palm (pressure, gestures, button) or when you write tab does not disable the regular touch?
It's "fixable" using other app like Squid?

Tab can't recognize pen and palm (pressure, gestures, button) or when you write tab does not disable the regular touch?

It means that when the stylus is close or touching the screen, your palm should not trigger the touch screen. This is an OS level feature. Without it, people writing/drawing notes would have marks on the area their palm is resting or unexpected zoom is performed. Other applications can have a workaround like enabling pen only for drawing but those are rare.

Reactions: Gabrius99

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction or share with me a link on how to root it?
    Thank you
    -Gabe

I personally would wish somebody ported Tab S3 Samsung Experience powered by Lyneage on the P900
    Despite I would love to have the most recent version of android achieved on this tablet, I just can't quit the Samsung Experience, that's the only thing I hope it happens

It means that when the stylus is close or touching the screen, your palm should not trigger the touch screen. This is an OS level feature. Without it, people writing/drawing notes would have marks on the area their palm is resting or unexpected zoom is performed. Other applications can have a workaround like enabling pen only for drawing but those are rare.