[Q] Textbook viewer?

Search This thread

Sean Z

Apr 2, 2013
Temecula
Hey guys.

I'm not sure if it's okay to discuss this in xda but I've recently downloaded my school textbooks through torrents because they're really expensive and being in college does not help me at all. I have them in .pdf format but I was wondering if there are other ways I can view them because I go to My Files and click the file from there then use Hancom viewer to read it. Are there other apps out there that can make this process easier? And lastly, I want to start exploring e-books so if there's an e-book viewer or something similar to that, I would definitely take a look at it.

For pdfs try Perfect Viewer with its PDF plugin. (both free on Google play). I use it for all my coursebooks and magazines. It has a bookshelf option, and an in-app file explorer.

For ebooks, I highly recommend Moon+ Reader. Aldiko and Mantabo reader are also options.

As much as piracy is illegal (do I feel like a hypocrite for saying that? God yes.) I think I can safely say every student does that. The companies ask for it, charging you 80 quid for a single 50 page book and then paying you 1 quid if you return it without even taking it out of the plastic...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Sean Z

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
For pdfs try Perfect Viewer with its PDF plugin. (both free on Google play). I use it for all my coursebooks and magazines. It has a bookshelf option, and an in-app file explorer.

For ebooks, I highly recommend Moon+ Reader. Aldiko and Mantabo reader are also options.

As much as piracy is illegal (do I feel like a hypocrite for saying that? God yes.) I think I can safely say every student does that. The companies ask for it, charging you 80 quid for a single 50 page book and then paying you 1 quid if you return it without even taking it out of the plastic...

Agree, in this day and age electronic distribution at a discounted rate should be available either by timed subscription or full purchase.

+1 on Perfect Viewer, good app.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Ruqayyah

Aug 9, 2014
For ebooks, I highly recommend Moon+ Reader

I completely agree. And Moon+ Reader Pro is 50% off right now. It gives you loads of extra features that I think are especially worth it for students....for example, the ability to highlight and annotate passages.

You will likely want this feature in your pdf app as well. I have not tried the recommended app; however, if it doesn't allow you to annotate, you can try EZpdf.

To be honest though, there is nothing better than Adobe Acrobat Pro for marking up textbooks and other pdf files. Buy the student edition (Tip: Many college math departments sell the student edition for less than half the price of the retail student edition...I paid $44). The only drawback is you have to use a computer...but it is so much easier to do that part on my Macbook, save the file as a readable pdf and then put the textbook in Dropbox to open on whatever device I happen to be using at the time.

Reactions: Sean Z

You will likely want this feature in your pdf app as well. I have not tried the recommended app; however, if it doesn't allow you to annotate, you can try EZpdf.

Perfectviewer is what the name says, viewer only. It's actually a comic reader, so no annotations.

Though to be fair, this is a Note device. Just press and hold the pen button, draw a selection and save that. (or use the screen write feature).

Saves you a ton of time leafing through all the pages when you want to review it later. You just view them as single pictures in a gallery.

That's what I do, and I find myself not needing annotations at all. Bonus, you can email the selections as opposed to the entire book. ;)

Near the exams I simply put most of the saved selections on a photoshop document and print that as my cheatsheet. Extremely time-saving once you get used to it.

(I stole that idea entirely off one of my mates who's a medical student. Saw his collection (well, library) of snippet texts and screenshots with writing(ahem, inelligeble scribbles) once and though '****, that's a good idea!).

Gatsrom

Oct 5, 2010
I use ezPDF for textbooks. If the content type matters, mainly science and math books, but I prefer to do a lot of highlighting and annotating right into the textbook. I prefer ezPDF over Moon reader. You will have to try them to see which works better for you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For ebooks, I highly recommend Moon+ Reader

I completely agree. And Moon+ Reader Pro is 50% off right now. It gives you loads of extra features that I think are especially worth it for students....for example, the ability to highlight and annotate passages.

To be honest though, there is nothing better than Adobe Acrobat Pro for marking up textbooks and other pdf files. Buy the student edition (Tip: Many college math departments sell the student edition for less than half the price of the retail student edition...I paid $44). The only drawback is you have to use a computer...but it is so much easier to do that part on my Macbook, save the file as a readable pdf and then put the textbook in Dropbox to open on whatever device I happen to be using at the time.