[Q] Buying advice: Samsung GS4 or S5?

Search This thread

frankp124

Feb 24, 2009
College Park
I am about to get a new phone (now because I cracked the screen on my LG E980...) namely to have a better experience in customizing, etc.

I am aware that the S5 has somewhat better performance than the S4, but I am more interested in the options for ROM development and customize-ability. First off, what is the appropriate model name for the S4? (I'm on AT&T) Wondering this for compatibility purposes.. Also are there any software updates I should avoid? Will I need to go back to any old firmware/software version(s) to have better luck rotting or installing ROMs/recoveries?

Any insight appreciated, thanks!

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com
I am about to get a new phone (now because I cracked the screen on my LG E980...) namely to have a better experience in customizing, etc.

I am aware that the S5 has somewhat better performance than the S4, but I am more interested in the options for ROM development and customize-ability. First off, what is the appropriate model name for the S4? (I'm on AT&T) Wondering this for compatibility purposes.. Also are there any software updates I should avoid? Will I need to go back to any old firmware/software version(s) to have better luck rotting or installing ROMs/recoveries?

This forum is for the 2011 SGH-T959V, you're looking for these forums:
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-att
or
http://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s5

I have both and...

I had an s3 t999 and broke the screen. Loved it! Stable ROMs galore!
I went out and went to the S5 g900T! I love AOSP ROMs and there are no stable AOSP roms. I have trouble getting text messages. Even after i updated bootloader modem. I've tried every rom. Mabye in a few months I will like it

BUT

After having it for about 4 months I just went out 3 days ago and purchased an S4 M919 aand so far I love it. Works greeat and there are a ton of ROMs.

I like checking every ROM out so I might not be the best person to ask because I didnt spend a lot of time on the stock ROMs.