AOSP 7.1 ROM/Discussion

Search This thread

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
If I flash Magisk-v9-SGS.zip nothing happens but phone boots normally, if I flash SuperSU-2.79-SR1-SGS.zip phone doesnt boot. stuck at boot animation. Same problem I face when I use superSU-2.79 SR1 but with superSU-2.79 SR3 its booting normally but no root, I guess your SuperSU build is based on SR1, SR3 based may work properly.
Ok, I guess there's been some changes to selinux with SuperSU - it worked when I initially tested, looks like I'm going to have to test again... Can you get some logs please? I'm curious what is going on.
Edit: And can you also please try the attached SuperSU zip? It's based off of 2.79SR3 but is untested

With Magisk (what I use, FYI), it's not an all-in-one root solution. You then need to flash the root Magisk module (https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/magisk-phh-s-superuser-android-pay-t3435921 - I use r266-2) and install the PHH Superuser app (either from the Play Store or F-Droid).

Attachments

• SuperSU-2.79SR3-SGS.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 354
Last edited:

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
New Build Uploaded!

Changelog for 2017-01-19
  • Updated interactive governor - should result in fewer slowdowns if you use this governor
  • Changed low memory killer parameters so it kills a little quicker (ie before it runs out of memory)
  • Disabled a bit more background stuff to hopefully free a bit more memory
  • Fixed/cleaned up the shims that are used for the RIL - should prevent SSL issues (eg with Hotmail accounts) as well as being slightly faster and more reliable
Selinux is still in permissive mode (a dmesg could possibly help me in putting this to enforcing, if people are interested). I still don't know if the TWRP included in it is functional or not (someone can let me know, I guess :))
Download from https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120701744

Alokhacker

Sep 2, 2012
mumbai
Ok, I guess there's been some changes to selinux with SuperSU - it worked when I initially tested, looks like I'm going to have to test again... Can you get some logs please? I'm curious what is going on.
Edit: And can you also please try the attached SuperSU zip? It's based off of 2.79SR3 but is untested

With Magisk (what I use, FYI), it's not an all-in-one root solution. You then need to flash the root Magisk module (https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/magisk-phh-s-superuser-android-pay-t3435921 - I use r266-2) and install the PHH Superuser app (either from the Play Store or F-Droid).

Flashed this one and it worked. may be the original SuperSU SR1 had some issues. This one is working fine

Reactions: nchc and xc-racer99

jupiter5700

Aug 14, 2012
Bug report. Some times black screen issue apeared. Video hardware decoding mostly not support. Some times i cant accept calls, only black screen with ringtone, home button is not help as erlier.

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
Bug report. Some times black screen issue apeared. Video hardware decoding mostly not support. Some times i cant accept calls, only black screen with ringtone, home button is not help as erlier.
Alright, for the black screen issue, can I get a bit more info please? Have you tweaked the performance settings (governors, frequencies, under/overvolting etc) at all? Does the screen just not turn on? If you get a dmesg, do you have something like
Code:
PVR_K:(Error): PVRSRVSwapToDCBufferKM: Failed to get space in queue [1456, ../../../../../../kernel/samsung/aries/drivers/gpu/pvr/deviceclass.c]
in it? This is a bug in 7.x, presumably in the kernel since and I think it's related to a timing issue where part of the display system is shut down too early.

With the video hardware decoding issue, can you get a dmesg? I suspect that the system is low on memory and that the MFC is failing to allocate the CMA memory region. You can adjust the low memory killer so that it kills less frequently to attempt to fix this issue.

The black screen with the ringtone might be related to the same black screen issue above - does the phone make noise but you just can't pick up?

Is the home button entirely broken? I haven't changed anything with it on the last build.

Also, if anyone is interested, I could probably upload a build of LineageOS for the i9000 - still no theme manager though.

Alokhacker

Sep 2, 2012
mumbai
Alright, for the black screen issue, can I get a bit more info please? Have you tweaked the performance settings (governors, frequencies, under/overvolting etc) at all? Does the screen just not turn on? If you get a dmesg, do you have something like
Code:
PVR_K:(Error): PVRSRVSwapToDCBufferKM: Failed to get space in queue [1456, ../../../../../../kernel/samsung/aries/drivers/gpu/pvr/deviceclass.c]
in it? This is a bug in 7.x, presumably in the kernel since and I think it's related to a timing issue where part of the display system is shut down too early.

With the video hardware decoding issue, can you get a dmesg? I suspect that the system is low on memory and that the MFC is failing to allocate the CMA memory region. You can adjust the low memory killer so that it kills less frequently to attempt to fix this issue.

The black screen with the ringtone might be related to the same black screen issue above - does the phone make noise but you just can't pick up?

Is the home button entirely broken? I haven't changed anything with it on the last build.

Also, if anyone is interested, I could probably upload a build of LineageOS for the i9000 - still no theme manager though.

Home button works, it does not wake device up. Device hangs very often. which governor scheduler do you use? does kernel support zram/swap?

Reactions: xc-racer99

jupiter5700

Aug 14, 2012

Yes, sometimes i can't picup incoming calls. I do not tune kernel settings. All is by default. Sorry, but i can't take dmesg info due to i was return to 4.2.2. Cause i9000 is my primary phone.

Reactions: xc-racer99

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
Home button works, it does not wake device up. Device hangs very often. which governor scheduler do you use? does kernel support zram/swap?
Interesting, I don't have the device hanging on me much at all. I use the default settings, ie interactive governor, no OC, ROW scheduler. There is no zram/swap in the kernel as it uses CMA and the two don't play well together. The home button doesn't wake the device because AOSP doesn't support this (it's a custom ROM thing). Since my variant doesn't have a physical home button I won't implement this.
Yes, sometimes i can't picup incoming calls. I do not tune kernel settings. All is by default. Sorry, but i can't take dmesg info due to i was return to 4.2.2. Cause i9000 is my primary phone.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll try to figure out what's up with all of the power management issues... Absolutely no guarantees though.

Last edited:

angelcalibur

Jun 4, 2014
Hi!
Need to update my old galaxy S and i wanted to know if this aosp build is working for daily use?
And i'am using slimkat rom, and i want to know how to update to another rom, with marsmallow or nougat if possible...
Because i've got some issu when flashing (i've got statu 0 or 7, impossible to mount etc...).

thx!;)

jupiter5700

Aug 14, 2012
As we know, CM project unfortunately was closed. Okay, xc-racer99, it will be interesting to test LineageOS for i9000!:good:
May be later we can see theme manager in LineageOS?

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
As we know, CM project unfortunately was closed. Okay, xc-racer99, it will be interesting to test LineageOS for i9000!:good:
Alright, a build for the i9000 of LineageOS is at https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767134629

Totally untested, no idea if it boots. My variant needed only the CM changes, so hopefully the i9000 is the same... Sources are on my github under the cm-14.1 branch

Edit: Sounds like the recovery included in this build is non-functional. Replace the ramdisk-recovery.img in the zip with the one from one of my AOSP builds and then try flashing it. Some people have managed to get it to boot, others haven't. YMMV. First boot (if it does boot) is incredibly slow.

Last edited:

jupiter5700

Aug 14, 2012
Thank you for lineageOS i9000!!! Just flash LineageOS to my i9000, but i have only endless boot with boot animation. May be i do somthing wrong. Also from TWRP i cant reboot or turn off phone, always i have only simple reboot to TWRP. What data formatting system is need for this LineageOS rom? I try with ext4. Will try with f2fs later.

Reactions: nchc

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
Thank you for lineageOS i9000!!! Just flash LineageOS to my i9000, but i have only endless boot with boot animation. May be i do somthing wrong. Also from TWRP i cant reboot or turn off phone, always i have only simple reboot to TWRP. What data formatting system is need for this LineageOS rom? I try with ext4. Will try with f2fs later.
Guess I should have warned that the first boot is extremely slow. It took roughly half an hour on my device from what I recall. Part of the reason is that I had to disable dexpreot because if I didn't I'd start getting random crashes (this is the case for all Lineage builds, they introduced a bug somewhere and haven't fixed it....). ext4 should work just fine

Your TWRP issue sounds weird, I don't recall that on my device. Maybe the TWRP team merged something recently that I missed. If you replace the ramdisk-recovery.img in the zip with the one from my AOSP build then you'll get that recovery build.

jupiter5700

Aug 14, 2012
Guess I should have warned that the first boot is extremely slow. It took roughly half an hour on my device from what I recall. Part of the reason is that I had to disable dexpreot because if I didn't I'd start getting random crashes (this is the case for all Lineage builds, they introduced a bug somewhere and haven't fixed it....). ext4 should work just fine

Your TWRP issue sounds weird, I don't recall that on my device. Maybe the TWRP team merged something recently that I missed. If you replace the ramdisk-recovery.img in the zip with the one from my AOSP build then you'll get that recovery build.

Okay, finally rom was start successefully! RIL work, SMS work, Camera work. Sometimes some apps crashes with error, Gallery for example (after exit gallery). Long switching between landscape and portrait mode (also on AOSP 711). Once the phone is fully hung up, when I hung up the phone after a call. And as usualy i have problem with 3G data (not work for me).

Reactions: nchc and xc-racer99

ioannis_m

Nov 18, 2013
Can you please tell me the proper way to flash the lineageOS on I9000?
I got a bootloop and during flashing ended in TWRP system and data not mounted.Tried it again from 2.3.6 with odin > 10.1 cyanogen > 10.2 > 4.4.2 > 5.1.1 omni > 6.0.1 omni all booted succesfully but on 14.1 system and data not mounted.:confused:

Last edited:

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
Can you please tell me the proper way to flash the lineageOS on I9000?
I got a bootloop and during flashing ended in TWRP system and data not mounted.Tried it again from 2.3.6 with odin > 10.1 cyanogen > 10.2 > 4.4.2 > 5.1.1 omni > 6.0.1 omni all booted succesfully but on 14.1 system and data not mounted.:confused:
Sounds like the TWRP I included with the LineageOS build doesn't work properly.... Replace the ramdisk-recovery.img in the zip with the one from my AOSP build and try again???? As I noted, since I don't have this variant I haven't actually tested any of these builds but have run them off based on what works on my variant (which uses a different partition scheme since I don't have an internal SD).

Reactions: nchc

soumyabrata

Jun 12, 2014
Porting to s7500

Can this rom also be ported on Samsung Galaxy ace plus (s7500)? Will you guys port it? :eek::)

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
Can this rom also be ported on Samsung Galaxy ace plus (s7500)? Will you guys port it? :eek::)
Sorry, no. The Ace Plus is totally different internally than the first-gen Galaxy S devices (QCOM chipset vs Samsung chipset). Would require a lot of work, someone with knowledge, the device, and the time to work on a (relatively-speaking) ancient low-powered phone:D The ARM world is not like the x86 world, unfortunately...

gorgooger

Nov 24, 2011
This is quite amazing, faster than expected. But really needs long to settle.
FM radio is not working, at least not with sound.

PGHammer

Jul 10, 2015
Accokeek,MD
Why is N for Dual-Core Surprising?

Alright, a build for the i9000 of LineageOS is at https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767134629

Totally untested, no idea if it boots. My variant needed only the CM changes, so hopefully the i9000 is the same... Sources are on my github under the cm-14.1 branch

Why is it surprising? Is it a single-core?
Consider that the dual-core TI OMAP-driven Galaxy Nexus has at least two Nougat ROMs out for it (Dirty Unicorns for Tuna and PureNexus for Tuna 7.1.1); the latter is my default, in fact, and it's by my right elbow.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    Code:
    /*
     * Your probably long expired warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you 
    * and point my finger right back at you.
     */

What is this ROM/thread?
    This is a port to the i9000 of my work for the SGH-T959P which is the Telus version of the Galaxy S. I initially started work on AOSP to see what exactly needed to be changed from AOSP to work on my device. I had a request for access to an i9000 build hence I created this thread. This is also a place to discuss using my source code to build other ROMs and/or improve it. This is not a place for a general development "How do I build a ROM?" questions - there are plenty of guides on XDA and elsewhere that say how to do this. Since I don't have an i9000, I probably can't reproduce your bug unless it is common on my device as well. As such, I will be able to provide very limited support, so if you have any concerns about your phone bricking, do not flash anything from this thread!!

Installation Instructions
    You should be able to flash this from any MTD rom, but it probably works best from a 6.0 or 7.x based ROM. Root does not come pre-installed, instead you need to manually install. Due to our odd partition system, please see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=69245956&postcount=3 for instructions.

Things to Take Note Of
    • If you decide to install gapps at a later date (ie after you've installed the ROM), you must do a factory reset first - otherwise you will get force-closes upon bootup
    • This build is very close to the official AOSP source code. Recovery is TWRP but otherwise there aren't any added "features" - nor will I add any as this is
    • Gapps eat up about an extra 30MB of RAM so they slow down the device - tread carefully. Opengapps pico should work just fine but are untested
    • Backup Backup Backup! I'm not responsible for you losing any data or anything else that could go wrong.

Working on my variant
    • Camera (built-in app needs workaround, see below)
    • RIL
    • SMS
    • Wifi
    • Vibration
    • Automatic Brightness
    • Compass
    • GPS on T959P
    • Headset Buttons

Partially working
    • Bluetooth - first time trying to enable won't work, back out of the Settings page, re-enter it and try enabling again. It should work this time...
    • Camera and Browser apps need to have all their permissions manually enabled through settings for full functionality. This is because I've used the older Camera app (which hasn't been updated for dynamic permissions) and the older Browser app as the new one is simply a test shell with no features (thanks Google!)

What doesn't
    • TWRP build is currently broken. To work around this, replace the ramdisk-recovery.img in the zip with the one from CM14.1
    • SElinux is currently in permissive mode. Still missing are the GPS sepolicies plus the LVM ones. If someone sends me a dmesg, I might be able to change this...

What's been removed
    • TV-Out - It was removed upstream plus I think binary blobs would need a ton of shimming in Lollipop+ Please do not ask me to implement this, I've tried several times and failed miserably each time.

I haven't actually verified that this boots as I don't have this specific variant!!!

XDA:DevDB Information
    AOSP 7.1 ROM/Discussion, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S I9000

Contributors
    xc-racer99, Coldwindofnowhere
    Source Code: https://github.com/xc-racer99/

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Android 6.0
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2016-12-21
    Last Updated 2016-12-20

Edit: Sounds like the recovery included in this build is non-functional. Replace the ramdisk-recovery.img in the zip with the one from one of my AOSP builds and then try flashing it. Some people have managed to get it to boot, others haven't. YMMV. First boot (if it does boot) is incredibly slow.
    Test UBI Build

Alright, here's the ported UBI ROM. As the partion system is different, there are a few potential problems. Here are my recommendations:
    • Make sure you have a way to go back to stock (ie Odin/Heimdall)
    • There's a chance you'll lose your EFS partition, which means you would need to go back to stock to regain it
    • If you're at all concerned about bricking your phone, DON'T flash this
    • The device name is now galaxysubi, not galaxysmtd as it is not backwards compatible. In order to get back to a "regular" ROM, you need to flash back to stock via Odin
    • No gapps or root (yet) - I will try and get a flashable zip for Magisk to work - there are systemless gapps packages for it. adb root still works
    • The system partition is truly read-only (squashfs on UBI). The only way to modify it is to decompile/recompile it.
    With those caveats out of the way, here's the procedure:

1) Download and flash
    Code:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=889964283620773341
    - this converts the phone to UBI, installs TWRP, and changes the device name to galaxysubi so you can flash the ROM.
    2) Download and flash
    Code:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817906626617953703
    - this installs the ROM
    3) Boot it up and leave it be for 15min or so. The first boot takes around 10 minutes, but it needs some time to settle.

Edit Dec 23/17: Confirmed not working. Will try and figure out why.

Known bugs on my variant:
    Occasionally notification sounds don't make it through immediately. The notifications light (ie touchkey backlight/BLN) show up as normal and it vibrates as normal, but no sound is emitted until the phone is woken up.
    Bluetooth doesn't enable first go around. Repeatedly trying to enable it alternating between the Setting and Quick Settings methods causes it to enable, I am unsure if it works. Can confirm I can pair and play to a BT speaker.
    You tell me.

This is untested on the i9000, only on my variant (SGH-T959P). While it works there, my variant doesn't use LVM so I may have screwed up some of the config. Also, I suspect that the internal SD may be misdetected but I can't verify as my variant doesn't have one.

Good luck! If there is any problem flashing, please give me
    1) An error messages appearing on the screen word for word "error 7" is insufficient.
    2) The contents of /tmp/recovery.log (use the "copy logs" button in TWRP)
    If there is a problem booting, please give me
    1) The last screen showing (initial splash screen, TWRP splash screen, bootanimation, etc)
    2) A logcat and/or dmesg if you have ADB.
    3) If on the second zip and can't get it to boot, can you get into recovery?
    Dear @xc-racer99, it would be so Awesome if you make an Android 8.0 Oreo custom rom
    Thank you for your amazing work!
    I might, won't be right away as I'm busy for the next bit. I might wait until the android-unlegacy project brings up 8.0, as they need to implement a number of the same hacks that we need. Haven't had a chance to download the source code yet so I don't know how much as changed.

Hopefully it will be fast than Nougat due to the optimizations, but who knows.

Edit: After a quick look at the source code, here's some observations: Doesn't look good for RIL, there's been a fair number of changes throughout all the code. Ditto for the internal SD on the i9000, although who knows, our hacks may no longer be needed... Otherwise, it should be possible to get a booting build, but again, I won't really have time for the next week for sure.
    Please have a look at the thread I created for my variant at http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s-4g/development/rom-aosp-7-x-galaxy-s-4g-t3485237

Build your own!
    All the device-specific source code is on my github at https://github.com/xc-racer99/. The branch I've used for the build posted below is the aosp-7.1 branch. The aosp-7.1-ddk-1.19 is test branch that uses the latest DDK 1.19 PVR blobs for OMAP devices. Unfortunately, it breaks hardware decoding (and you would need to compile the correct kernel as it uses a different PVR kernel driver). It is more of interest than of actual use.

Follow https://source.android.com/source/initializing.html. The branch you want when you run repo init is the latest tag from https://source.android.com/source/build-numbers.html#source-code-tags-and-builds of 7.1. Before you run repo sync, from the WORKING_DIRECTORY/.repo folder, run "git clone https://github.com/xc-racer99/local_manifests -b 7.1". Continue on with the build guide, the device codename you want is "galaxysmtd".

If you want to build the kernel, follow the instructions in WORKING_DIRECTORY/kernel/samsung/aries/AOSP_README. Put the resulting arch/arm/boot/zImage in device/samsung/galaxysmtd

Other aries devices (captivate, i9000B, vibrant) should be fairly easy to do (ie the galaxysmtd on my github as well as the captivate trees work). The fascinate and p1 would need a fair bit of work. There is an i9000B kernel uploaded to https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767123305 - simply replace the boot.img in the i9000's zip with this one and it should work (except that in Settings you will appear as an i9000 instead of an i9000B).

For porting to other ROMs, please take note of https://github.com/xc-racer99/android_patches - these are the patches that the custom ROM and/or you must implement to have a successfully booting and functional device. You also need to have busybox and TWRP as part of the build tree.

Download Link and Changelogs
    A reminder - I've not personally tested any of these builds...
    2017-01-19 Build
    • Updated interactive governor - should result in fewer slowdowns if you use this governor
    • Changed low memory killer parameters so it kills a little quicker (ie before it runs out of memory)
    • Disabled a bit more background stuff to hopefully free a bit more memory
    • Fixed/cleaned up the shims that are used for the RIL - should prevent SSL issues (eg with Hotmail accounts) as well as being slightly faster and more reliable
    Selinux is still in permissive mode (a dmesg could possibly help me in putting this to enforcing, if people are interested). I still don't know if the TWRP included in it is functional or not (someone can let me know, I guess :))
    Older Builds

2016-12-26 Build
    • Home button should now work
    • SD card/internal storage should work properly
    • Added ability to have /data on microSD (see here for info)

2016-12-19 Build