[ROM][FINAL][7.1.2][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1

Search This thread

MYEUHD

Feb 28, 2017
Ooh, thanks for that link about there being potentially new blobs coming. I don't recall having seen them anywhere. My long-term plan was to try using the Linux blobs and shoehorning them into Android via drm-gralloc, but haven't even started trying that (would need a newer kernel). Do you know if Hummingbird (the Barnes and Noble one, not the chipset) has the SGX544 or the 540? I've seen newer blobs for the 544, but not the 540 (except for ones for x86 instead of ARM).
Oh, sorry for misleading you. It turns out that Hummingbird has the SGX544.
I initially thought it had the same GPU as our phone. Again, sorry!

I'm also considering u-boot and a newer kernel (but both of these are probably a dream that will never come to pass - biggest issue for newer kernel is that there's a bug in our current bootloader that prevents loading a kernel newer than ~3.6 which is why u-boot would have to be ported).
Well, I'm not sure about your variant but the galaxysmtd has a signed bootloader.
Here's a description of what that means for those seeing the term for the first time:
"it also occurs that the bootloaders are cryptographically signed with a private key. In that case, the bootrom will check the signature against a public key that cannot be replaced and only run the bootloader if the signature matches. That sort of tivoization prevents replacing pre-installed bootloaders, even when their sources are released as free software." -Replicant's website-
Thus, sadly, it's probably not possible to port u-boot or any other bootloader to our device (and variants).

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
Oh, sorry for misleading you. It turns out that Hummingbird has the SGX544.
I initially thought it had the same GPU as our phone. Again, sorry!
No problem, I guess that's the way things go.
Well, I'm not sure about your variant but the galaxysmtd has a signed bootloader.
Here's a description of what that means for those seeing the term for the first time:
"it also occurs that the bootloaders are cryptographically signed with a private key. In that case, the bootrom will check the signature against a public key that cannot be replaced and only run the bootloader if the signature matches. That sort of tivoization prevents replacing pre-installed bootloaders, even when their sources are released as free software." -Replicant's website-
Thus, sadly, it's probably not possible to port u-boot or any other bootloader to our device (and variants).
Well, my plan was not to have u-boot as a first or second stage bootloader, but rather as a third-stage bootloader. Since the kernel doesn't have to be signed, you should be (theoretically) able to put u-boot in the boot stage where the kernel currently is (skipping most of the low-level init in u-boot) and then have a different, real, kernel partition. However, this is still at the concept stage.

The other option is using the unbrickable mod and/or bootloader hack (see https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1233273 and https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1333424 (this thread is T959V-specific, but an equivalent exists for most variants) - but obviously this is not ideal due to the hardware modification involved in the unbrickable mod (note: messing around with the onenand driver can cause the device to enter the "unbrickable" mode - I found this out by accident when trying to use cmdline mtd partitions).

Reactions: nchc and MYEUHD

Dmrgrbz

May 1, 2018
Hi I Installed this rom everything works well but can I get better performance with any settings ? and is this rom have superuser ?

i9000isalive

Aug 12, 2018
Hi!
- Has anybody succeeded in rooting the i9000 (running on this Rom lineage 14.1)? Installing up-to-date versions of Supersu and Magisk do not seem to work because of the different boot.img (signed bootloader). Any other ways to root? In the developer settings, there is no "root access" option, and the option "manage root accesses" is grayed out.
- I have only very little internal system storage, so I wanted to format my new SD card as internal storage. But everytime I try to do format it as internal, erasing and formating seems to work fine ("is ready" -"Done"), but then reports that the card is corrupted. I have tried this with three different cards (64GB, 4GB, 64MB). It never works. It works, however, to use the SD card as portable storage - but in this case, I cannot store my apps there. Does anybody know a solution for this?
- My phone also shows some part of the normal internal storage as an ejectable SD card. However, it is the built in storage of the phone. Anybody also having this?
- I had to diable a lot of the system apps, so that the phone runs smoothly. All it can cope with at the moment is installing one small additional app. I would like to improve this situation.
- Any ideas on how to improve the RAM situation? I was thinking of porting a swapping SD card, but this does not seem to be possible without root and so little free internal storage.

Would be very happy if somebody has some advice! Thanks

Last edited:

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
Hi!
- Has anybody succeeded in rooting the i9000 (running on this Rom lineage 14.1)? Installing up-to-date versions of Supersu and Magisk do not seem to work because of the different boot.img (signed bootloader). Any other ways to root? In the developer settings, there is no "root access" option, and the option "manage root accesses" is grayed out.
- I have only very little internal system storage, so I wanted to format my new SD card as internal storage. But everytime I try to do format it as internal, erasing and formating seems to work fine ("is ready" -"Done"), but then reports that the card is corrupted. I have tried this with three different cards (64GB, 4GB, 64MB). It never works. It works, however, to use the SD card as portable storage - but in this case, I cannot store my apps there. Does anybody know a solution for this?
- My phone also shows some part of the normal internal storage as an ejectable SD card. However, it is the built in storage of the phone. Anybody also having this?
- I had to diable a lot of the system apps, so that the phone runs smoothly. All it can cope with at the moment is installing one small additional app. I would like to improve this situation.
- Any ideas on how to improve the RAM situation? I was thinking of porting a swapping SD card, but this does not seem to be possible without root and so little free internal storage.

Would be very happy if somebody has some advice! Thanks

For rooting, try flashing the "su (arm)" 14.1 version of the SU add-on from https://download.lineageos.org/extras - since it only modifies /system, it should work. Small nitpick on the reason SuperSU and Magisk don't work - it's not the signed bootloader, but rather that the i9000 doesn't use a standard Android boot.img so Magisk/SuperSU doesn't understand how to extract it to modify it.

For the adopted storage, I'm guessing it's the encryption that then has to be used that is causing issues. I've never tried adopting an SD card, so I don't even know if the kernel properly supports it.

Internal storage being shown as an ejectable SD is normal. This is because Android dropped supported for FAT32 storage on a partition which is what the i9000 has. As such, supported has been hacked in and so it shows as if it's ejectable.

For RAM management, you could try adjusting the the low memory killer values (google how they work). Also, I'm assuming you don't have gapps installed. Another thing you could try is finding a more lightweight launcher than the default LineageOS one. You could also reduce the number of background apps and/or services allowed. This will mean that you always will have to re-open an app, but it might allow more to be installed.

Reactions: nchc

MYEUHD

Feb 28, 2017
Hi!
For rooting, try flashing the "su (arm)" 14.1 version of the SU add-on from https://download.lineageos.org/extras - since it only modifies /system, it should work. Small nitpick on the reason SuperSU and Magisk don't work - it's not the signed bootloader, but rather that the i9000 doesn't use a standard Android boot.img so Magisk/SuperSU doesn't understand how to extract it to modify it.

The SU add-on doesn't work, as I have already mentioned in #12.
But the ROM is pre-rooted with Magisk. So, you just have to install the latest MagiskManager.apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

Adding to what xc-racer99 said about RAM management, you can enable UA:CMA from Settings> Device Settings> UA CMA to free memory that's normally allocated to the camera/hardware decoding. more about it in this post https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=74546267&postcount=22
Alternatively, you could extract the boot.img from xc-racer99's AOSP 7.1 ROM zip and flash it, as it supports 'regular' CMA which is like an automatic version of UA:CMA (though sometimes the allocation fails and you can't use the camera/hardware decoding).

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
The SU add-on doesn't work, as I have already mentioned in #12.
But the ROM is pre-rooted with Magisk. So, you just have to install the latest MagiskManager.apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

Adding to what xc-racer99 said about RAM management, you can enable UA:CMA from Settings> Device Settings> UA CMA to free memory that's normally allocated to the camera/hardware decoding. more about it in this post https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=74546267&postcount=22
Alternatively, you could extract the boot.img from xc-racer99's AOSP 7.1 ROM zip and flash it, as it supports 'regular' CMA which is like an automatic version of UA:CMA (though sometimes the allocation fails and you can't use the camera/hardware decoding).
Interesting, I missed the fact that the SU add-on didn't work. Did it fail to flash or just not function?

Pufferine

Oct 14, 2018
May I ask why I just get 104MB free space for the /system/ after the lineage 14.1 ROM is installed?

I don't know why the ROM occupies 780MB and my /system/ is just 885MB in total.

It is annoying since I cannot install the zip file of the GAPPS, even I selected the 'pico' version.

Is it just my problem and can I do some resizing of the /system/ storage?

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
May I ask why I just get 104MB free space for the /system/ after the lineage 14.1 ROM is installed?

I don't know why the ROM occupies 780MB and my /system/ is just 885MB in total.

It is annoying since I cannot install the zip file of the GAPPS, even I selected the 'pico' version.

Is it just my problem and can I do some resizing of the /system/ storage?
Sounds like slightly more is used in /system than I'd expect, but entirely possible (I haven't used this particular ROM). You could try removing some apps from /system that you don't need.

It is possible to adjust the size of /system, have a look at the updater.sh in the zip file. Problem is that if you increase the /system partition by 500MB then you're decreasing the size of your /data partition by 500MB as well :) Note that this will also wipe /data.

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
after flashing this, i am having bootloops :( please help
We'll need a little more info to help you - bootloops is a very imprecise term. It's like going to the doctor and saying I'm sick without giving any symptons :) What's the last screen that you see when booting normally, can you get into recovery (if so, what recovery version is it). Also, please attach the *_mtd.log from your SD card if possible.
Hello. I can't find the TWRP 3.1.1 version. Where can I download this
On almost all first-gen Galaxy S devices, recovery is integrated into the boot.img - so to install TWRP you need to install a kernel/ROM with TWRP already built in. Typically, that means working your way up Android versions one at a time until you reach your desired stopping point.

Reactions: TheComrade and nchc
thank you for responding. i spent my whole weekend trying to recover. i couldn't get into recovery, but could get into flashboot. even odin couldn't get help. finally i managed to stock rom it with heimdall. thankfully, i had a nandroid backup so i think i'm ok now. whew, and this is my daily phone. i was a bit adventurous there, and thought i would play with the a new android version for a few hours to kill.

jirki88

Feb 13, 2011
Guys, don't bother looking for twrp3.1.1. Twrp3.0.3 is good enough to install this rom.

I started from cm12 with twrp3.0.0. Then we need to upgrade to twrp3.0.2 by installing CM13. If you installed other versions of CM13, it may contain the wrong twrp. Then, install CM14.1 to get twrp3.0.3. That's how I get rid of error 7.

BTW, first boot takes like 30min, and I lost IMEI and baseband.

Hello. Can you help me find CM12 with TWRP 3.0.0?? i can find only 2.8.something.

k2-18b

Nov 19, 2020
Bootloops after Installation

After the reboot, the screen alternated between the old, large Samsung logo and the new, slightly more delicate one.
Ten seconds volume up + Home + Power press and hold, and the phone boots into recovery.

It works roughly (I tried a thousand monkey handles until it worked ...) like this: Gingerbread with CF-Root: Install 2x CM13> Wipe Factory Reset> Mount data> format data F2FS> Install 2x CM 14, then the Past Installation Zip> Factory Wipe> Reboot.
I tried today, the system works. Unfortunately didn't have time to try again.

after flashing this, i am having bootloops :( please help

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

En mi S1 la SIM se reconoce y funciona. Alemania, Congstar, Telekom.

buenas no reconoce la sim

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    /*
    * Your probably long dead warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7 (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

This thread is organized into different posts so that people dont quote the whole OP.
    Please read all the posts and updates, before flashing.

Changelog Summary:
    For full changelog follow the link.

#FINAL: 28 Jan 2018
    Repo synced with latest LineageOS 14.1 sources.
    Updated system webview to 64.
    Added postinstallzip due to kernel not being flashed.
    Added Magsik 15.3 support in ramdisk.

#4: 14 Nov 2017
    New feature: UA:CMA
    Added back Device Settings.

#3: 14 Nov 2017
    Switched to a more stable kernel with improvments
    Fixed Camera
    Fixed Bootanimation

#2: 12 Nov 2017
    Enabled OpenGLES 2.0
    Fixed Audio/Video Playback.
    Fixed Webview.

#1: 11 Nov 2017
    Initial build.

Latest Download:
    You need to flash lineage-14-postinstall.zip after installing the ROM, or else it wont boot.
    For some reason ramdisks arent being flashed.. and I cant be bothered to figure out why..

lineage-14.1-20180127-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysmtd.zip
    lineage-14-postinstall.zip

Older builds

XDA:DevDB Information
    GalaxyS1 Resurrected Nougat Project, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S I9000

Contributors
    (°_o), ColdwindOfnowhere, xc-racer99
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2017-11-11
    Last Updated 2017-11-14

XDA:DevDB Information
    GalaxyS1 Resurrected Nougat Project, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S I9000

Contributors
    (°_o), ColdwindOfnowhere, xc-racer99
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2017-11-11
    Last Updated 2018-01-28
    Full changelog: build #2

Fixed Audio/Video playback

I had to remove ffmpeg codecs as they were causing hardware decoding to not work.
    Hardware decoding is working fine and 720p playback is smooth too..
    I've tested without bigmem mode.. I havent implemented bigmem libs for 720p playback.
    So please try without bigmem before reporting issues with it.

Fixed Webview

AOSP Webview was somehow not working on our device.. as pointed out by @MYEUHD
    The solution he linked was to revert to older webview.
    But that is outdated and unsafe so I tried with latest Android System Webview.
    It seemed to work so I set it to default.
    I havent tried but we can also use Chrome as our Webview..

Switched to OpenGL 2.0
    We were stilling using OpenGL 1.4 for rendering.. this shouldnt affect much.. but animations should be smoother
    Since we no longer get Shader errors with OpenGL 2.0
    Let me know if you find any difference performance wise compared to build #1.

Downloads are in OP.
    Full changelog: build #3

Switched kernel from @Coldwindofnowhere to @xc-racer99
    I think xc-racer99 kernel has better memory management. since the lowmemory killer doesnt kill many processes..
    However I did make some changes to it.
    • Disabled CMA
    • Enabled and set zRAM to 1/4 of total memory
    • Some kernel build optimizations.
    Note that.. this kernel doesnt have BigMem Support so wer'e stuck with 383MiB ram for now.

Fixed Bootanimation
    Yeah.. that was a my mistake.. err..
    At least you know its booting now.. but since we use pre-odexed ROM first boot shall be done in 5 minutes now..

Fixed Camera
    Taking pictures should work now. Video recording is broken.. It needs to updated for Nougat..

Added Magisk in ramdisk
    Latest version 14.0. Just install magisk manager AND DONT TRY TO PATCH BOOT.IMG..
    We use very differnet system for boot.img and ramdisks..
    I will try to update Magisk to latest version.

Fixed a big mistake in updater
    https://github.com/galaxys1-nougat/...mmit/a6f51178503a01f6b1e7b0c8222e875392af8a8e
    Flashing boot.img would actually result in wiping it in some cases..
    If you had troubles installing this ROM or any ROMs in the past.. this might be the case..
    Full changelog #build 4

New feature: UA:CMA
    Allows user or any userspace program to allocate and deallocate CMA memory.
    So what does that mean for user.. you can control when memory for 720p decoding
    or Camera is allocated and when it's freed to be used by other apps.
    It's kind like bigmem but without the reboot.

A big thanks to @xc-racer99 for implementing error handling and entry in Device Settings.
    A detail guide about UA:CMA will come soon.

Added back Device Settings.
    Previously it was missing due to build errors. I have fixed them and now you can change tunables you had before in Device Settings.
    Status Update:

Project discontinued.
    Status Update:
    You can skip this paragraph if are not intrested in my long story cut short.

So I have been trying to fix stuffs which means.. rebuilding and flashing the ROM.
    Wiping data .. getting logs.. testing if something works.. Repeat

I hadnt really used my Galaxy S1 phone.. It was just lying around a corner of my table getting dust.
    Until one day I thought, let's build Oreo for this old time phone.. turns out the battery was RIP due
    to not charging it for so long.. so I got a replacment battery then booted to see cm-14.1 build by
    Coldwindofnowhere and missing IMEI which I sucessfully restored after creating a thread here.
    Again thanks for that to @xc-racer99 and @MYEUHD

So I started out device trees and repos based on Coldwindofnowhere and xc-racer99
    and made it compatabile with Oreo. And thanks to rInanD0 I was able to pick stuffs necessary on
    kernel side.

Then me and @xc-racer99 discussed some stuff and I picked changes from Unlegacy-Android gerrit to properly do some stuff.. I fixed lots of stuffs.. but I couldnt get the display to initialize... so I decided
    to wait for Unlegacy-Android for their take on Galaxy Nexus which shares same GPU as us to bring up Oreo first.

In the mean time, I thought again.. why not build Nougat for now.. so I again setup device tree and repos for
    nougat. and we are here..

Okay so I havent really used my Galaxy S1 let alone this ROM.
    This ROM does seem fast while moving around just after a first boot.
    And really I hadnt installed or used any apps besides the one that came with LineageOS.

But today while trying to fix Camera, I had to actually take photos. Oh, and the reason camera was not working
    was due to I had disabled building of Camera HAL in Oreo which stuck around... big derp

So camera preview was working now.. Snap camera wasnt savinf photos at first..
    so I thought to install Open Camera.. I installed F-Droid.. then Open Camera..
    Then I clicked some photos which seemed to be saved.
    There were a lot of photos created so I decided to delete them.

But Files app wasnt deleting them.. must be a permission issue?
    So i installed a file manager from F-Droid and deleted the photos.
    Good enough.. then I thought I need to download these apps again after a data wipe..
    Lets backup them.. so I installed an apk backup again from F-Droid.

While it was downloading.. BAM Screen went all BLACK.

I tried clicking home button but nothing.. then I clicked power button nothing.
    Then I hold power button.. i got the options...
    Now I was reminded of this bug which has been around since Lollipop? or Marshmallow days..

Screen going all black.. back then Coldwindofnowhere predicted it might due to out of memory issues..
    And he is right.. I had adb running so I checked free memory and swap.. The swap file was and memory was nearly full.

I checked dmesg for logs... then I saw lowmemorykiller killing all kinds of stuff.. but there was only one time it killed this..
    Code:
    lowmemorykiller: Killing 'system:ui' (5642), adj 902,

And thats the reason for the black screen.. Now we all know this device doesnt have much memory.
    So the option would be to not install many or any apps.. on this option..
    Ofcourse I could try to get CMA working properly.. which adds just around 70-80mb I guess..
    And we could just white list system ui to not get killed.. but then it would kill other important processes..

So I've decided to stop working on Nougat. I dont wanna give people false hope of *stable* nougat.
    I will still upload a build with Camera fixed.. Well video recording still doesnt work.. Looking at logs.. i need to resurrect
    the old way of video buffer. which got removed in Nougat.

And while Project Nougat is offically discontinued, Project Oreo is still alive just paused.
    I will at least get Oreo bootanimation on this device.

Thanks for trying out this short lived nougat ROM.