CM11 new nightly (20150802)

Search This thread

roxy1712

May 31, 2012
Washington, DC
I'm still running 10.2.1 (it was the "stable" release when I got the phone eariler this year)... now having camera issues where it won't save to either the SD card or internal storage and occasionally it'll get stuck on the "rebooting phone" screen when I go to reboot. Is it worth upgrading to CM 11?

xdoza

Mar 2, 2013
Sorry to bump this old thread, i would like to update my old stock Relay for using CM, can anyone point a version that works almost ok? I remember having issues in the past with mic, gps and camera.
Besides, i was trying to download a link for a previous post http://junk.sandelman.ca/junk/r2s3/RelayMC5modem.zip, but it seems not to be working. I sthis really needed for updating to CM? Any chance for reupload?

Thanks in advance!

Bummers

Jan 19, 2017
I'm also running stock on my relay and would like to flash a new rom. Need to find out the most current version, where to download it from and someone to hold my hand and talk me through how to do it, lol.

phred14

Aug 17, 2014
Burlington, Vt
Yikes. I never thought about saving a copy of the CM instructions, either for loading or building. I can give rusty memory, but that's it.

First and foremost, the modem might need flashing. My Relay had a properly-dated modem, but my wife's didn't, even though we bought it a few months later. Somewhere I have both old and new modem zipfiles, because I had to back-flash in order to get my GPS working at one point. I don't know where they are at the moment, but I'm sure I can find them.

Next, you need a more up-to-date recovery. I've been doing my own builds late last year, but I never tried one of the recoveries generated by the build process. However I just checked and have the 20160815 recovery, which is what I believe I'm using.

I'll see what I can do about condensing some of this stuff. It's going to be on a new thread, when I do.

Reactions: Bummers

xdoza

Mar 2, 2013
Yikes. I never thought about saving a copy of the CM instructions, either for loading or building. I can give rusty memory, but that's it.

First and foremost, the modem might need flashing. My Relay had a properly-dated modem, but my wife's didn't, even though we bought it a few months later. Somewhere I have both old and new modem zipfiles, because I had to back-flash in order to get my GPS working at one point. I don't know where they are at the moment, but I'm sure I can find them.

Next, you need a more up-to-date recovery. I've been doing my own builds late last year, but I never tried one of the recoveries generated by the build process. However I just checked and have the 20160815 recovery, which is what I believe I'm using.

I'll see what I can do about condensing some of this stuff. It's going to be on a new thread, when I do.

Hi phred14,

I'm currently on last stock T699UVBOH1_T699TMBBOH1_TMB (i think it's the same as T699UVBMC5_T699TMBBMC5_TMB with some stagefright fix) the last stock firmware that was available for this modem (https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4712). Why do you think a modem flashing is needed? Is because some incompatibility with CM11?

I manage to get the CM instructions from waybackmachine, in case someone need them here they are
http://web.archive.org/web/20161224194634/https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_apexqtmo

About the recovery, is the CM one needed?

Last question, can you verify if the microphone is working in some kind of messaging app? As I mention before, in the past when running CM, voice notes that i sent with whatsapp were muted (or tooo quiet) showing that the mic wasn't working as expected. Because of that, and camera and gps issues was that i revert back to JB stock and everything was fixed at that time.
Just in case, there was no issue with phone calls (there microphone work as expected), the issue was only with messaging apps like whatsapp.

Best and thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bummers

Bummers

Jan 19, 2017
Thanks phred and ning! I'll get looking into this, hopefully the download links are still available. I need to do a bit of reading into this as it's totally new to me.

xdoza

Mar 2, 2013

I manage to install the last cm-11-20161229-UNOFFICIAL-apexqtmo (with recovery 20160815). It seems to work pretty well, wifi gps, phone. Also the camera looks pretty good (not as good as stock but good enough).
There are two things that seems not to work for me.
1) AOSP keyboard gesture typing, it throws an error. I prefer to use the stock keyboard but I suppose i can fix it using another app.
2) Whatsapp voice notes. Same issue that had in the past. It seems the audio i sent are too quiet (almost silenced), so the other person can't hear me. This doesn't happen with phone calls or even whatsapp calls (they work and the other person can listen me), it seems only an issue with voice/vocal notes. I read that could be a problem of the apps using the noise cancellation microphone (wrong microphone) for recording. I dont' know if this can be fixed in anyway, maybe touching /etc/build.prop, i can't find anything in the forum (i already tried to switch use.dedicated.device.for.voi and use.voice.path.for.pcm.voip, despite those two parameters not exist in the build.prop).

Anyone had this problems in the past and knows how to fix them?

Thanks in advance!

phred14

Aug 17, 2014
Burlington, Vt
Thank you for doing some extended testing. I'd tested GPS and the camera, both still and movie, back on the Dec 3 image, but haven't gotten around to those on the Dec 29 image. I've never really tested the mic, and don't have any apps loaded to do so.

I know little about this, I just build the images in "monkey mode". About the only semi-smart thing I did was built the local manifest, with hints from others. The rest was just RTFM. Fortunately I scripted it all before TFM disappeared. Just for jollies, I've just kicked off "buildCM11" to see if it will work now that CM has disappeared completely.

I can certainly "touch build.prop" if you can tell me where to find it. I presume it's in /etc on the phone, but don't know where it is in the build tree. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Personally I'm hoping that Lineage OS materializes. They've announced Relay support, but nothing is available for download yet. I was under the impression that the graphics hardware on the Relay wasn't capable of Vulkan, necessary for Nougat. More recently I've seen that Lineage OS will also be doing Marshmallow, so I suspect that's what will get put on the Relay.

xdoza

Mar 2, 2013
Thank you for doing some extended testing. I'd tested GPS and the camera, both still and movie, back on the Dec 3 image, but haven't gotten around to those on the Dec 29 image. I've never really tested the mic, and don't have any apps loaded to do so.

I know little about this, I just build the images in "monkey mode". About the only semi-smart thing I did was built the local manifest, with hints from others. The rest was just RTFM. Fortunately I scripted it all before TFM disappeared. Just for jollies, I've just kicked off "buildCM11" to see if it will work now that CM has disappeared completely.

I can certainly "touch build.prop" if you can tell me where to find it. I presume it's in /etc on the phone, but don't know where it is in the build tree. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Personally I'm hoping that Lineage OS materializes. They've announced Relay support, but nothing is available for download yet. I was under the impression that the graphics hardware on the Relay wasn't capable of Vulkan, necessary for Nougat. More recently I've seen that Lineage OS will also be doing Marshmallow, so I suspect that's what will get put on the Relay.

Hope to see Lineage OS for the Realy too!

As I understand, there is no need to rebuild ROM to make changes to build.prop. The file is located in /etc folder of the device, and is just a matter of changing same values there (with precautions) and restarting the phone.

Just in case, anyone has whatsapp voice notes (or other app like this) working on the relay on a previous CM or other rom version/builds? Maybe comparing build.prop could help, I'm almost sure after reading that the problem is related to whatsapp pickin the wrong mic.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I saw a new "nightly" has been pushed out for the Relay. Based on the changelog (fixing integer overflows and underflows), this looks like a fix for Stagefright.

I've updated from within the 20150607 nightly, and so far, everything looks good. My GPS and camera still work fine, and I didn't bother toggling any settings before updating.

At least I have ONE phone with a Stagefright fix. It's kind of ironic that it's the oldest of my Androids.
    GPS fix:

You need a CM10.1 build (Only ones ever produced were 'experimental'), the ICS stock baseband (modem) and the JB stock baseband. Recovery doesn't particularly matter, so long as you can flash images, but I still recommend the CWM that has been around for a while (I've tested it, it works fine even with upcoming Images)

Procedure:
    Boot into recovery, run a full backup on your device.
    flash ICS baseband
    Flash CM10.1 Image
    Factory Reset
    Boot into system (Not sure if this is needed, but I always do.)
    Once system boots up, shut system down.
    Open phone, pull battery.
    Wait ~30 seconds, replace battery.
    Boot phone.
    Once system boots up, (If you have a way to test it, GPS should work now). Reboot into recovery.
    Flash JB baseband.
    Restore your system backup.
    Reboot into system. Your GPS should now work with your current system.
    After looking through the various codebases of Omnirom and CM, it looks as though Omni's android-5.1 branch, and cm's 11.0, 12.0 and 12.1 branches all have the stagefright fixes. I did not look at anything any earlier than that for CM, and I can confirm that anything earlier in Omni than 5.1.1 will not have the fixes.
    Last night I bumped both my wife's and my Relays to the latest nightly. There was a new version of clockworkmod recovery posted, so I flashed that, first.

My wife's phone is a bit of an odd one, on two counts. First, it was still at M8 with working GPS. So before doing anything, I went out in the yard, got a GPS lock (using M8), and pulled the battery. I then brought it inside, put the battery back in, and did the flashing. After that, I was able to again take it out in the back yard and get a GPS lock, this time with the latest nightly. (I've done it once, I hope it will work again.)

The second thing about my wife's phone is that it's acting really oddly. Most of the time when the screen blanks, it won't come back. None of the buttons will light the screen. Eventually long-pressing the power button will reboot it. I've verified that when in this "stuck dark" situation I can plug it in and run adb commands against it, so there's a light on in there, it's just that the curtains are drawn. With this in mind, I'm not sure what the story is about getting it to reboot.

My next step would be to search for any settings that might cause this behaviour. It's also giving me the yellow triangle in the notifications, and when I open it, it takes me to some sort of time-date settings area, but I'm not sure what's wrong there. It's possible that a timing problem could cause the symptoms I'm seeing - I'm not sure. My other option is a full wipe.

Funny, two people in Burlington using the Relay?? I haven't touched mine in a while but I'm itching for something different and I'm sick of my Xperia's stock firmware. I'm gonna give this new build a shot...