FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Force cursor/pointer display for graphics tablet?

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Esathn, Junior Member on 13th June 2019, 07:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I bought a USB graphics tablet (Huion HS64) that's compatible with Android 6 and above. Problem is that when I connect it, there's no pointer on the phone indicating where it is I'm about to tap. Touch works perfectly fine, but the "invisible mouse" problem is annoying.

Is there any way I can display the same pointer that comes up when I connect a USB mouse to the S10? Or perhaps a similar icon or dot via overlay? I'd be fine with it always being on if that's easier than having the phone recognize the tablet as a mouse.

My device isn't rooted, but I'm not opposed to it if it solves the problem. Thanks in advance!
13th June 2019, 08:17 PM |#2  
Flag Greenville
Thanks Meter: 1,088

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esathn

I bought a USB graphics tablet (Huion HS64) that's compatible with Android 6 and above. Problem is that when I connect it, there's no pointer indicating where it is I'm about to tap. Touch works perfectly fine, but the "invisible mouse" problem is annoying.

Is there any way I can display the same pointer that comes up when I connect a USB mouse? Or perhaps a similar icon or dot via overlay? I'd be fine with it always being on if that's easier than having the phone recognize the tablet as a mouse.

My device isn't rooted, but I'm not opposed to it if it solves the problem. Thanks in advance!

Wrong place to ask. This forum is for questions and answers for the Samsung Galaxy S10.
13th June 2019, 08:22 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel864

Wrong place to ask. This forum is for questions and answers for the Samsung Galaxy S10.

I think there's a misunderstanding. It's the S10 that I want the cursor on, the tablet itself doesn't have a display. I'll edit the title and desc to be more clear.

Edit - Welp, I guess I'll just edit the description
18th June 2019, 05:10 AM |#4  

More
Invisible Cursor
Hi!
The same thing happens with the Samsung S7 Edge, S8 and S10+, but with the Note 9 the cursor is visible.
I tried other brands and models and the cursor is visible. (Ex. Huawei Y6 )

I hope we find a solution.
18th June 2019, 08:36 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazio72

Hi!
The same thing happens with the Samsung S7 Edge, S8 and S10+, but with the Note 9 the cursor is visible.
I tried other brands and models and the cursor is visible. (Ex. Huawei Y6 )

I hope we find a solution.

Yep. I contacted Samsung support but got the "well, we don't support graphics tablets" speech, so brick wall there. Emailed Huion and they asked me to check my OTG and pointer settings and to contact Samsung support. I just replied that I did those things and that others were having the same problem so we'll see if we get any progress on that. In the meantime we'll just have to wait until someone decides to code something up for us muggles.

Speaking of code, and I'm no expert so grain of salt and all that, I've got a few theroies:

Option 1: Force cursor visibility always
The cursor DOES pop up when a mouse is plugged in, therefore by changing some variables, we should be able to force the cursor to always be on (root likely required). I know that the phone tracks pointer location when you hover the pen over the tablet because, when plugging in both a mouse and the tablet to the phone, one can see the cursor moving. Unfortunately, the cursor only appears when the mouse is wiggled and disappears once the pen moves the cursor (so basically we get a cursor that flashes in and out really fast). On top of that, we can't click and drag while the cursor is doing the flashy thing.

Option 2: Edit device recognition
This, I imagine, would be a lot more work, but it would offer a nice quality of life feature. If we could get the phone to recognize the tablet as a connected mouse, the cursor should appear when we plug it in and disappear when disconnected. I'm not sure, however, that drawing tablets send the same type of data as mice do so the phone may not be able to interpret it regardless.

Option 3: An overlay app that tracks pointer location
While this would need to be made from scratch, I think it the most straightforward approach. An apk that puts a symbol over wherever the pointer location rests! Just enable it to draw over other apps and voila, instant cursor. This would require that the phone monitor cursor data without the stock cursor being on, though.

But yeah, until either something gets coded up, Samsung gives us an update, or Huion gets their stuff together, we're kinda stuck. If you're dead set on using the tablet regardless, the best I've been able to do is mark off the boundaries of "phone mode" with a pencil on the tablet, put a dot in the center, download a "crosshair" overlay app, and position the crosshair so that it lines up with the drawn dot on the tablet. Then you should have a point of reference for where you're about to tap! Scuffed? Absolutely. Functional? You bet.
4th July 2019, 10:24 AM |#6  

More
Still haven't found the solution? The same problem occurs on Galaxy S7.
4th July 2019, 06:31 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derael

Still haven't found the solution? The same problem occurs on Galaxy S7.

Nope, nothing so far. Huion emailed me back saying that "the problem is weird" and that they'll get back to me "once our technicians figure out the problem". So we're pretty dead in the water without a nice piece of code.
6th August 2019, 05:02 PM |#8  

More
Force Cursor/ pointer display in huion hs64 on samsung phones
Im here to ask if the problem was fix regarding the cursor pointer ? Im planning to buy this huion hs64 and currently using Samsung Galaxy A50
7th August 2019, 05:53 PM |#9  

More
Nope......I tried using the hs64 on my A50 and still no cursor
18th August 2019, 04:07 AM |#10  

More
Hi there! Something new? For some reason Samsung S series phones have a lock. Why the Note series works perfectly.
19th August 2019, 03:59 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esathn

Yep. I contacted Samsung support but got the "well, we don't support graphics tablets" speech, so brick wall there. Emailed Huion and they asked me to check my OTG and pointer settings and to contact Samsung support. I just replied that I did those things and that others were having the same problem so we'll see if we get any progress on that. In the meantime we'll just have to wait until someone decides to code something up for us muggles.

Speaking of code, and I'm no expert so grain of salt and all that, I've got a few theroies:

Option 1: Force cursor visibility always
The cursor DOES pop up when a mouse is plugged in, therefore by changing some variables, we should be able to force the cursor to always be on (root likely required). I know that the phone tracks pointer location when you hover the pen over the tablet because, when plugging in both a mouse and the tablet to the phone, one can see the cursor moving. Unfortunately, the cursor only appears when the mouse is wiggled and disappears once the pen moves the cursor (so basically we get a cursor that flashes in and out really fast). On top of that, we can't click and drag while the cursor is doing the flashy thing.

Option 2: Edit device recognition
This, I imagine, would be a lot more work, but it would offer a nice quality of life feature. If we could get the phone to recognize the tablet as a connected mouse, the cursor should appear when we plug it in and disappear when disconnected. I'm not sure, however, that drawing tablets send the same type of data as mice do so the phone may not be able to interpret it regardless.

Option 3: An overlay app that tracks pointer location
While this would need to be made from scratch, I think it the most straightforward approach. An apk that puts a symbol over wherever the pointer location rests! Just enable it to draw over other apps and voila, instant cursor. This would require that the phone monitor cursor data without the stock cursor being on, though.

But yeah, until either something gets coded up, Samsung gives us an update, or Huion gets their stuff together, we're kinda stuck. If you're dead set on using the tablet regardless, the best I've been able to do is mark off the boundaries of "phone mode" with a pencil on the tablet, put a dot in the center, download a "crosshair" overlay app, and position the crosshair so that it lines up with the drawn dot on the tablet. Then you should have a point of reference for where you're about to tap! Scuffed? Absolutely. Functional? You bet.

Hi there! Something new? For some reason Samsung S series phones have a lock. Why the Note series works perfectly.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)