FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

S10 Astrophotography!

33 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By lorenzo122, Member on 28th October 2019, 04:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone, I'm here to ask you if you have had experience with astrophotography and S10, more specifically capturing pictures of night sky, or even Milky Way. My first experience of astrophotography and smartphone was with Galaxy S7, I could take nice photos of stars (Milky way was impossible to shoot). I have tried with S10 and same settings in Pro Mode (10 seconds exposition, more or less same ISO and White Balance), but the result has not been the same, pictures are even worse (more noise, stars not clear as in S7's pictures). I'm glad to know if you have more experience with this, because after Pixel 4 and P30 Pro I asked myself if S10 can take the same pictures. For example, GCam's new version has an own function for astrophotography, it would be nice if even S10 can have his version through porting.
The Following User Says Thank You to lorenzo122 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lorenzo122 Ad-Free
7th November 2019, 07:59 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Poor Astrophotography
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo122

Hello everyone, I'm here to ask you if you have had experience with astrophotography and S10, more specifically capturing pictures of night sky, or even Milky Way. My first experience of astrophotography and smartphone was with Galaxy S7, I could take nice photos of stars (Milky way was impossible to shoot). I have tried with S10 and same settings in Pro Mode (10 seconds exposition, more or less same ISO and White Balance), but the result has not been the same, pictures are even worse (more noise, stars not clear as in S7's pictures). I'm glad to know if you have more experience with this, because after Pixel 4 and P30 Pro I asked myself if S10 can take the same pictures. For example, GCam's new version has an own function for astrophotography, it would be nice if even S10 can have his version through porting.

I have the Galaxy Note 10 plus, and likewise, I too have been deeply disappointed with the astrophotography results. My settings were essentially identical to yours using 'Pro' mode, and I believe the camera technology in our two phones is exactly the same. Even the raw pictures displayed terrible artifacts. I'm not sure if 'banding' or 'contouring' would correctly describe what I saw, but the sky was broken up into sections that looked something like a jigsaw puzzle put together.

Eric
8th November 2019, 10:04 AM |#3  
Flag Zadar
Thanks Meter: 298

More
Calm down guys, i understand your dissapointment, but this astrophotography trend started way after the s10 family came to the market... Anyway, it's more of a "software trick" than anything related to hardware itself, so we can almost certanly expect Sammy will add that feature via software update. I believe it will come with android 10. Why you may ask, well because they already added 30s exposure time in android10 beta... So it's not farfetched to believe some kind of astrophotography mode is coming. But take notice, even on other phones that do support it, you apsolutely need a tripod or some kind of stative, the phone has to be very still to enable astrophotography...
8th November 2019, 02:01 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Yup very disappointing ive also tried it even with TRIPOD! the stars become blurry (pro mode 10 sec) so sad.. maybe they will fix it sometime.. (google pixel is good, P30 is over saturation- still look good and alot better then S10, some will like it over the pixel)
8th November 2019, 03:26 PM |#5  
Flag Zadar

More
Like i said, we will most probbably get the astrophotography mode, it's just a matter of time, but i see no reason why you can't capture great pictures of the night sky with pro mode. Especially if you know the right settings and have a tripod. I took some amazing pics way back with my old S7, now with S10 they come out even better... Btw, you can't capture the Milky Way unless you are in complete darkness and away from any light pollution...
I didn't have the time to test the new pro mode (30sec exposure) in android10 beta, but i will soon. If you want i can send you links so you can see some of my photos for yourself.
9th November 2019, 09:06 AM |#6  

More
I'm calm...
Thank you for your input, and fear not I was not hyperventilating. I shoot astrophotography from time to time with my Nikon DSLR's and occasionally linking that up with my Meade ETX-125 telescope.

So I have a solid foundation and understanding of the hardware requirements to properly shoot the night sky. I have also enjoyed using my Galaxy Note 10 plus with the Zhiyun Smooth 4 gimbal along with the excellent Filmic Pro software (app).

Would not have purchased that additional equipment had I not been extremely impressed with the optics of the camera technology in these phones both in terms of video and still photography. I never thought smartphones would be competitive with prosumer camera technology but under certain circumstances no question we have reached that point. It is with those higher expectations, that led me to be surprised when the quality took a nosedive when attempting to shoot long exposure night photography. I always attempt to shoot with the longest exposure and the lowest ISO to minimize noise.

But the final results were still riddled with noise and artifacts, even the raw output. I'm not upset by this, in fact as recently as a year ago I would not have even thought of attempting this with a smartphone. So I just chalk it up to reaching the limitations of where things are at this moment. I will be interested to explore the Android update to which you referred and maybe that will greatly improve things. Under normal circumstances, I'm still amazed at the capabilities are these cameras.
The Following User Says Thank You to dryslot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dryslot Ad-Free
9th November 2019, 12:56 PM |#7  
Flag Zadar

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryslot

Thank you for your input, and fear not I was not hyperventilating. I shoot astrophotography from time to time with my Nikon DSLR's and occasionally linking that up with my Meade ETX-125 telescope.

So I have a solid foundation and understanding of the hardware requirements to properly shoot the night sky. I have also enjoyed using my Galaxy Note 10 plus with the Zhiyun Smooth 4 gimbal along with the excellent Filmic Pro software (app).

Would not have purchased that additional equipment had I not been extremely impressed with the optics of the camera technology in these phones both in terms of video and still photography. I never thought smartphones would be competitive with prosumer camera technology but under certain circumstances no question we have reached that point. It is with those higher expectations, that led me to be surprised when the quality took a nosedive when attempting to shoot long exposure night photography. I always attempt to shoot with the longest exposure and the lowest ISO to minimize noise.

But the final results were still riddled with noise and artifacts, even the raw output. I'm not upset by this, in fact as recently as a year ago I would not have even thought of attempting this with a smartphone. So I just chalk it up to reaching the limitations of where things are at this moment. I will be interested to explore the Android update to which you referred and maybe that will greatly improve things. Under normal circumstances, I'm still amazed at the capabilities are these cameras.

Nice to know you're calm , it was nothing more than a figure of speech - i bet you already knew that
Anyway, i wrongly asumed i was dealing with a rookie but it's nice to see you know a great deal about night photography... As i sad, i really doubt Pixel has better optics or camera hardware in general in comparison to a Galaxy S10/N10, it all comes down to software as we all know. IMO, Google has mastered night photos and now astrophotography mainly because of their Ai software/hardware technology and ofcourse the sheer experience. They are after all "in the forefront of AI"... Also, i believe Samsung could do something similar if they wanted, it all depends on the market and popularity of that specific feature. They don't lack the funds as they invest billions in R&D. Ofcourse i could be wrong, this is just my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kemby13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kemby13 Ad-Free
9th November 2019, 03:46 PM |#8  
Which lens/sensor are you using for this? Telephoto lens/sensor is weaker in low light situations (smaller sensor, smaller aperture).
I have also an S7 Edge and the night mode of the S10 is indeed comparable (identical sensor?). But that's only the normal wide sensor/lens!

Specs S10 main:
12 MP, f/1.5-2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55", 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.6", 1.0µm, AF, OIS, 2x optical zoom
16 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide), 1.0µm, Super Steady video

Specs S7 main:
12 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55", 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
9th November 2019, 09:26 PM |#9  
Flag Greenville
Thanks Meter: 1,088

Donate to Me
More
LOL, I would bet money that the average buyer of the S10 even knows or cares what astrophotography is. If it's that important to someone then I'd suggest researching phones and buying one that does this rather than being disappointed in something the phone wasn't designed for. Hell, that Samsung engineer sitting in that little cubicle in Seoul, South Korea probably doesn't give a rat's a** whether that phone will take pictures of the stars or not.
9th November 2019, 10:09 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 304

More
What about Gcam mod, that has built in astrophotography which I think works only on Android 10 for some version of Gcam.
10th November 2019, 01:03 AM |#11  

More
Hmm... quality improved
So after I ran across this thread, I went out again last night for kicks, and the artifacts were greatly reduced. Still noisy/grainy, but to be expected from almost any camera not carefully configured for these challenging circumstances. I'm wondering if one of the several OS updates I've had since the first attempt two months ago contributed?

To Kemby13: Of course, no problem, your posts were great and helpful. I couldn't resist a little tongue-in-cheek myself.

To Sonic 67: Great tips and worth double-checking that.

To Tel 864: I'm rather certain you would win that bet. For my part, just interesting to push the limits on the latest tech. And I like knowing if I'm ever in a pinch if it's even worth the trouble pulling it out of my pocket.

To Ndaoud360: Reading up on that now, thank you very much!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
s10 astrophotography camera photo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)