FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Working Google Camera for Snapdragon w/ Aperture Switching and Night Sight

361 posts
Thanks Meter: 103

By beserker15, Senior Member on 7th March 2019, 05:42 AM
View First Unread Post Reply Email Thread
Now with Wide Angle Camera Support!

All credits go to Arnova8G2's for his base mod, cstark for his added mod for our Galaxy S10, Fizwiz for his XML config!

Download Arnova's Advanced 1.5 here (based on gcam 6.1.0.021): https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/a...dev-arnova8G2/
then download the XML config attached to this post.
Instructions for applying the XML file can be found here: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/settings09/

What works:
- Aperture switching for main camera (settings > Samsung CameraAPI2 > toggle "Switch to 2.4f aperture)
- Motion photo (have to use google photos as gallery and only limited to 1080p resolution)
- Night Sight
- Portrait mode
- Wide angle camera (hold the toggle camera button to switch between wide and regular rear cameras, press to switch between rear camera and front camera)
- Probably more things but I haven't tested the other modes

Benefits:
Gcam offers less aggressive noise reduction and oversharpening. Under daylight things might not look too different but it's a lot better for low light, especially for finer details like carpets, hair, fabric texture. I've attached some comparison shots. The file names will indicate which camera was used for the pictures.

Regarding newer gcam 6.2 and above: Modders are working on newer versions of the gcam app. Some have even to added more functions to it like libs and various mods. However, NONE of them fully works with the S10, I pretty much try each one as they release. If you really want to try the new app (because it does feel smoother overall and process photos a little quicker), this one is the best in my opinion. Please note that wide angle camera doesn't work with it and you need to go to advanced settings to change RAW format to RAW_Sensor. Also note that this link is to an older version from this modder because his newer versions stopped working with our S10s. https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/a.../changelog429/

More development info can be found in the original app page.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...-port-t3862448
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stock.jpg
Views:	12604
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	4718239   Click image for larger version

Name:	gcam_hdr.jpg
Views:	12594
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	4718240   Click image for larger version

Name:	gcam_nightsight.jpg
Views:	12334
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	4718241   Click image for larger version

Name:	stock_wide.jpg
Views:	9458
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	4722139   Click image for larger version

Name:	gcam_wide.jpg
Views:	9322
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	4722151  
Attached Files
File Type: xml top-motion.xml - [Click for QR Code] (8.7 KB, 814 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to beserker15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift beserker15 Ad-Free

7th March 2019, 06:23 AM |#2  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thanks for this however how do I know if the XML file you posted is the one that's actually being used
7th March 2019, 06:39 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have downloaded this but nightsight doent work but the base camera does. Some of the other features crash the app. Im using s10+ snap.
7th March 2019, 07:09 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzinc

Thanks for this however how do I know if the XML file you posted is the one that's actually being used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rataba

I have downloaded this but nightsight doent work but the base camera does. Some of the other features crash the app. Im using s10+ snap.

Did you guys apply the XML file after copying it to where it needs to go? Detailed instructions here: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/a.../f/settings09/
7th March 2019, 09:38 AM |#5  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Followed the instructions and it seems to be working fine so far on my S10, although I haven't done extensive testing.

How do you switch between apertures? It doesn't seem obvious to me.
7th March 2019, 04:11 PM |#6  

More
Any reason this wouldn't also work on a Snapdragon S10+? Thinking about giving it a try now...

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Installed and verified basic functionality on my S10+. Took a couple of night sight pictures and they turned out good. Will do some more testing. Thanks for the information.

Update: I'm seeing issues when switching between different modes. For example, the picture freezes whenever I go into portrait mode. Other modes work sometimes, but display a black screen other times. The app doesn't freeze or crash, and if I switch to another mode then switch back, sometimes that resolves it.
7th March 2019, 06:21 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avohkah Tamer

Followed the instructions and it seems to be working fine so far on my S10, although I haven't done extensive testing.

How do you switch between apertures? It doesn't seem obvious to me.

It's in Settings under Samsung CameraAPI2.
7th March 2019, 08:15 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmithb

Any reason this wouldn't also work on a Snapdragon S10+? Thinking about giving it a try now...

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Installed and verified basic functionality on my S10+. Took a couple of night sight pictures and they turned out good. Will do some more testing. Thanks for the information.

Update: I'm seeing issues when switching between different modes. For example, the picture freezes whenever I go into portrait mode. Other modes work sometimes, but display a black screen other times. The app doesn't freeze or crash, and if I switch to another mode then switch back, sometimes that resolves it.

To fix portrait mode freezing, go to Settings (top section, mod settings) -> Advanced -> FIX -> Viewfinder Format. Then select YUV-420_888 (default).
The Following User Says Thank You to benblb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benblb Ad-Free
7th March 2019, 08:54 PM |#9  

More
Very good. The viewfinder fix seems to have worked for portrait mode, and helped with all other modes as well.

Any other settings changes you would recommend making to optimize performance?
7th March 2019, 09:10 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 410

More
Which photo is from the stock cam vs gcam?
8th March 2019, 12:57 AM |#11  

More
I took a few pics just now outside with default camera and then with Google night sight. Google cam pics definitely a little brighter, and much clearer, with more detail than the default cam. Quite pleased.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)