Severe Wake-Up Lag

Search This thread

Saturable

Sep 18, 2012
I've heard of the usual 2 or 3 second lag for most users. They'll try to wake up their phone with the power button, but there's about a two or three second delay. I wouldn't care at all if I had that!

My problem is far more sinister. I don't have the usual wake lag. It's dynamic and unpredictable.
Let me explain. When I first boot up my phone (or restart it) it works flawlessly. No lag—nothing. Not even the three second wake lag most people get. Then, out of nowhere (I can't pinpoint when it starts) I'll try to wake it up and... nothing! The backlight will turn on (that very dim black light) along with the soft keys. They'll turn on fine, but my display will not show up. Funny thing though, sometimes I'll tap the screen and it'll vibrate as if it was on. The only way to fix this is one of two ways: restart the phone (very annoying) or turn it on and wait. Sometimes, eventually the display will kick in but I have about a second to react before it shuts off. Then, I have to press the power button twice more to turn off the backlight and turn it back on and wait for the display to kick in. If I tap and swipe to unlock, I'm mostly in the clear. But, most of the time it takes SwiftKey about 30 seconds to respond. I'll tap and tap and nothing will be written, but after 30 seconds of spamming it'll finally start to write. Then, my phone has minor/no lag while the display is still on. But, if I let it shut off, then it starts all over again. Backlight, but no display.

Sometimes I'll be lucky: I had a three day streak of no lag at all, but then it happened. It really is random, and I have no idea what could be causing this. It wasn't always this way either.
I have this rooted and am running CarbonRom (Android 4.4)

ANY help would be appreciated. Nothing seems to fix this permanently.

D

Darth

Try another rom, or better yet... Try stock 4.1.2 for comparison. Install the same things on it and see. It could be certain apps slowing your phone down, or lack of ram, or your setup.

Mine is on stock 4.1.2...and I'm sometimes amazed when I do pick it up and use it, like when I'm charging my other phone, at how zippy it is. It's not way slower feeling like you'd think it would be, at all. ;)

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Also a cache and dalvik wipe can often help. Especially on older devices.

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
Try another rom, or better yet... Try stock 4.1.2 for comparison. Install the same things on it and see. It could be certain apps slowing your phone down, or lack of ram, or your setup.

Mine is on stock 4.1.2...and I'm sometimes amazed when I do pick it up and use it, like when I'm charging my other phone, at how zippy it is. It's not way slower feeling like you'd think it would be, at all. ;)

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Also a cache and dalvik wipe can often help. Especially on older devices.

Agreed, a dalvik cache and a cache wipe will often help. What would be the best way to update to stock 4.1.2 from stock 4.0.3? It is not showing up in ota and I can't use kies or Odin as I don't have a Windows computer. Heimdall can only seem to successfully install ICS on this phone.

Sent from my SGH-T989

D

Darth

You could just flash a stock 4.1.2 rom... Tho its usually best to Odin stock first , then flash things 4.1.2 and higher.

Yeah, without a pc ... Not sure what you can do. Maybe you could visit someone that has Windows pc ?

You can try just flashing a stock rom, buy good chance you'd freeze at boot up.

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
You could just flash a stock 4.1.2 rom... Tho its usually best to Odin stock first , then flash things 4.1.2 and higher.

Yeah, without a pc ... Not sure what you can do. Maybe you could visit someone that has Windows pc ?

You can try just flashing a stock rom, buy good chance you'd freeze at boot up.

Don't know. All I know is when I try flashing 4.1.2 in Heimdall it freezes after Android is upgrading and then boot loops. I've tried wiping data, cache, and falcon after flashing and it still didn't work. I'll probably just stock with AOSPA since it is fairly stable right now and has decent battery life.

Sent from my SGH-T989

ayr0

May 12, 2014
I'm running CarbonROM + WildKernel. Currently, I have no problems with wakeup lag when tapping the power button. Though, when I recieve a call, it takes several seconds for the screen to wake. I have my kernel configured for 96Mhz when screen is off. You might try increasing the base cpu frequency and see if that helps. You might also try changing your cpu governor and see if that helps.

However, your tapping the power button twice description might be indicative of something wrong with your power button. Just a thought. These particular phones are known to have issues with the power button after time.

Last edited:
D

Darth

I'm running CarbonROM + WildKernel. Currently, I have no problems with wakeup lag when tapping the power button. Though, when I recieve a call, it takes several seconds for the screen to wake. I have my kernel configured for 96Mhz when screen is off. You might try increasing the base cpu frequency and see if that helps. You might also try changing your cpu governor and see if that helps.

However, your tapping the power button twice description might be indicative of something wrong with your power button. Just a thought. These particular phones are known to have issues with the power button after time.

96mhz will definitely cause some things to lag on wake. Test it tho and then compare to 300. I very much doubt you'll see any difference in battery life at all.

Saturable

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for all the replies, and I just may have to try a ROM that's a bit older. This phone is basically ancient history now, but it suits me well. I'll try the stock JB ROM but probably won't keep it—I do enjoy having the features many custom ROMs include.

I've also installed and ran LagFix free from Google Play, and I can say it greatly reduced the frequency of the wake lag occurring. It still happens but for the most part it turns on fine.

Twice in meaning once to turn off the backlight to put it to sleep and then once more to attempt to "wake" it up again.

ayr0

May 12, 2014
96mhz will definitely cause some things to lag on wake. Test it tho and then compare to 300. I very much doubt you'll see any difference in battery life at all.

You are right, I just looked at the voltage tables in my ROM and everthing below 153Mhz uses the same amount of power.
I'm going to try 153Mhz for awhile and see if that helps. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Thanks for all the replies, and I just may have to try a ROM that's a bit older. This phone is basically ancient history now, but it suits me well. I'll try the stock JB ROM but probably won't keep it—I do enjoy having the features many custom ROMs include.

I've also installed and ran LagFix free from Google Play, and I can say it greatly reduced the frequency of the wake lag occurring. It still happens but for the most part it turns on fine.

Twice in meaning once to turn off the backlight to put it to sleep and then once more to attempt to "wake" it up again.

How much time do you wait between button pushes. On my rom, it they are I press the button twice in immediately consecutive pushes, it does take a second or two for the phone wake. However, if I wait a second or two before pressing the power button again, wakeup is almost instantaneous. I attribute this to the fact that even though the screen is powered off, it takes a little bit of time for the phone to actually go to sleep. The phone might be lagging because it has to wait for the phone to sleep before it can wake up again.