FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Dialing lag after screen on (with logcat/analysis)

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By gogothebee, Guest on 14th May 2012, 08:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I'm going to describe the dialer lag bug and a possible clue how to fix it. In short the phone hangs when you try to dial (call) a number for up to 10 seconds (at least on my phone) and then the dialing begins.

As far as I've researched it is present in other phones as well. I'm running the latest CyanogenMod nighty (update-cm-9-20120511), but the same bug appears in all previous nighties and in the latest official Samsung 4.0.3 ROM I tried (XXLP7 I think). The logcat logs are from CM9, but I believe the reason is the same in the official Samsung ROM.

Full wipe (+sdcard if that matters), absolutely stock. Logged in Google account. Direct call shortcut on the main screen. WiFi should be turned off (very important). If the WiFi was turned on, restart the phone first for reliable reproduction. Leaving WiFi turned on for a longer period sometimes masks the bug.

1. Screen off
2. Wait 10 seconds, screen on, unlock
3. Tap on the direct dial shortcut

The phone hangs for ~ 10 seconds and then begins dialing. Exactly the same procedure with WiFi turned on results in no lag. The number is dialed immediately.

I suppose this bug is present in all ROMs, based on Samsung 4.0.3 XXLPQ+ (possibly previous ones as well).

I've attached logcat logs from point 1 (screen off) until the phone begins to dial and I hang up.

No WiFi (hangs): http://pastebin.com/GC01G2FR
WiFi (doesn't hang): http://pastebin.com/eJS9N6sz

Subtracting the noise, the last identical line between two versions is:

Code:
D/PhoneUtils( 2207): checkAndCopyPhoneProviderExtras: some or all extras are missing.
This is the line which appears when I start dialing the number. After that the difference are those lines, present only in No WiFi (hangs) version:

Code:
W/ActivityManager( 1985): Timeout of broadcast BroadcastRecord{410f0a90 android.intent.action.SCREEN_ON} - receiver=android.app.LoadedApk$ReceiverDispatcher$InnerReceiver@40f159d0, started 10000ms ago
W/ActivityManager( 1985): Receiver during timeout: BroadcastFilter{40f15bd8 ReceiverList{40f15b60 1985 system/1000 local:40f159d0}}
I'm a developer outside of the Android ecosystem, but as far as I understand an intent broadcast SCREEN_ON is issued and its intent receiver timeouts in 10000ms (those 10 seconds during which the dialer hangs). Supposedly Android is waiting for some intent receiver to handle its onReceive() and during this period nothing happens.

Please note that in the log there is another timeout before this one with the same consequences, but with timeout for intent SCREEN_OFF, issued seconds earlier when I turned the display off. That's why I skipped it.

Interestingly with WiFi on this doesn't happen.

I searched many forums and some people report (but can't describe) the problem. Other don't have it. I suppose there are other variables I can't isolate. Can you please try to reproduce it and point me to the right direction (tools, approach) how to debug it? This is a showstopper bug IMHO.

This post is mirrored here: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/5...ogcatanalysis/

gogothebee
14th May 2012, 01:46 PM |#2  

More
May I ask the administrators to transfer this thread in the section "Galaxy S II Original Android Development"? I think it will be more appropriate.
14th May 2012, 06:09 PM |#3  
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 382

More
It happens to me only on stock ROM. cm9 never had that issue.
It actually started after I flashed the xwlp9 xen ROM, after that it haunted me for some time, until I went back to GB, deleted my contacts from gmail and resynced all again.
Wifi thing is interesting but I can't reproduce as it only happens once in a while. and doesn't reoccur the next time.
I'm on dxlp9 now and it happened just once in 4 days.
gogothebee
16th May 2012, 06:29 PM |#4  

More
Yes, it is really frustrating. I didn't have the issue several days after I migrated to CM9. Now it happens even after full wipe. It is so annoying! This is basic functionality and I see people with Galaxy Nexus suffering the same issue. I think that I have enough knowledge to find the root cause, but I need somebody with a little Android debugging experience to help me start!
5th June 2012, 06:53 AM |#5  
Different Day, Different Place
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I have been having this problem as well with the stock (rooted) rom, and i recently flashed the Resurection Remix ICS rom (v2.0) just a few days ago and i still have this problem, almost without exception (ie easy to reproduce). I hadn't noticed the wifi part, for me it is about a 10sec lag with or w/o wifi, and actually i am now noticing a lag when turning on/off wifi... sigh.

I never got past "hello world" in perl so effectively have zero developer experince but if you have managed to figure out a fix for this I would love to hear it!

-Gaiko
gogothebee
6th June 2012, 07:31 AM |#6  

More
After no one expressed any interest in this bug and I tried hard for a week, I gave up. Unfortunately IMHO Android 4.0.x is way unstable yet (I've experienced many issues with both stock and CM9 nighties). I reverted back to CM7 (currently 7.2.0RC3). It is Android 2.3.7 based, but I don't really miss anything from 4.0.x and I'm more than happy.
6th June 2012, 11:01 AM |#7  
Different Day, Different Place
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Thx for the reply. Its unforunate that its been so unstable, on my phone it seems like the longer i run it the less stable it is. I am going to try a newer stock rom and if that still gives me probs i will just go back to an older kernel and see if that does the trick.

Cheers,

-Gaiko
14th October 2012, 09:52 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
It's the first time I run into this issue and I had many stock and custom 403 and 404s.
For me, the delay is 5 sec and it ocurs randomly with or without wifi.
Now I run stock 4.0.3 xwlpg, jkay's fw, latest siyah kernel, go launcher.
I had this setup in the past and it didn't happened. Strange, ain't it?
gogothebee
15th October 2012, 08:26 AM |#9  

More
Actually I don't care about this bug anymore. No one did anything to help and in Android 4.1 it is fixed. As I'm running on the latest nighties of CM10/4.1.2, I don't experience it anymore. Sometimes it's funny how fast technology goes forward.
17th June 2014, 03:06 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I have this bug in android 4.2.1. Never used to have it, now I randomly do. Strangely, it cropped up at the same time as the multiple duplicate sms bug... I think they may be related. Any ideas?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
calling, delay, dialer, lag

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)