FORUMS

[GUIDE]Solution to recover some apps like IM,swype etc. mostly missing in custom ROMs

290 posts
Thanks Meter: 447

By ajayjohn, Senior Member on 14th March 2012, 08:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am not sure if this is already known or has been discussed before. Search did not yield any relevant results. Please post your feedback.

Introduction
In most custom ICS ROM's, you might have noticed some apps like the Polaris office, Photo editor, IM or even Swype missing. These are not even there in many of the "Stock unmodified" versions released either. Surprisingly, they are very well present if you flash the original ROM through Odin. So where do these apps go? They are actually installed on first boot only if you flash from Odin.

Usual missing apps
  • KiesAir
  • OceanWeather and WindyWeather live wallpapers
  • Polaris Office
  • Photo Editor
  • Samsung IM
  • Swype
  • Vlingo

For those who do not want to go through this procedure and straight away want the CWM package of these missing files, you can download it from here...

How to extract them?
I am assuming the most common method ROM cooks use maybe using dsixda's kitchen (thanks to his fantastic scripts!).
When extracting and de-odexing the ROM, you may have noticed a file called hidden.img in the original ROM file which is usually ignored in this process. this file contains the above apps and they are installed to the /data/app folder. The hidden.img file is not readable using regular softwares, just like factoryfs.img.

Extract this hidden.img file from the original ROM image and paste it in the original_update folder of dsixda's kitchen (xxx.tar.md5 can be renamed to xxx.tar and opened in softwares like winrar)
  1. Rename the hidden.img file to factoryfs.img.
  2. Close any existing kitchen tasks and restart the kitchen.
  3. Select option 1 to set working folder.
  4. Make a backup of your existing working directory.
  5. When prompted, choose the factoryfs.img option to proceed with (option 3).
  6. You will get a message saying the file is being converted to a format for extraction.
  7. The ext2fs program should automatically be launched.
  8. Select open file in the program and choose the ext_factoryfs.img file (which is actually the converted from of the renamed hidden.img file).
  9. Right click on the left pane where the opened file is listed and select Save.
  10. Save it to the root folder of your working directory.

Now you will have a folder called data in your working directory with the missing apps. Include extraction of this folder in your updater script and you are done
If the tutorial wasn't clear, feel free to post questions on the thread.

Hope this was helpful, Cheers...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajayjohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ajayjohn Ad-Free
14th March 2012, 11:03 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayjohn

In most custom ICS ROM's, you might have noticed some apps like the Polaris office, Photo editor, IM or even Swype missing.

It seems to be missing in all Deodexed ROM
14th March 2012, 11:34 AM |#3  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Photo editor not working. Also there isn't new gallery app in official ROm???
The Following User Says Thank You to nikki2325 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nikki2325 Ad-Free
14th March 2012, 12:25 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin, Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki2325

Photo editor not working. Also there isn't new gallery app in official ROm???

Photo editor works fine for me. Did you try clearing your cache?
Also, Samsung still uses the old GingerBread gallery.
14th March 2012, 01:06 PM |#5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Couldn't someone just extract the apps then post them here.
14th March 2012, 06:03 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin, Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrater

Couldn't someone just extract the apps then post them here.

You can get them in a zipped file from here
Unzip and use the app you want.
14th March 2012, 06:12 PM |#7  
Flag Porto Alegre
Thanks Meter: 445

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayjohn

In most custom ICS ROM's, you might have noticed some apps like the Polaris office, Photo editor, IM or even Swype missing. These are not even there in many of the "Stock unmodified" versions released either. Surprisingly, they are very well present if you flash the original ROM through Odin. So where do these apps go? They are actually installed on first boot only if you flash from Odin.

Why not make a custom rom .tar? install with odin? or mobile odin?
14th March 2012, 06:24 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
If I wanted to flash this hidden.img in heimdall what should i do ? Meaning where should i put it ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
14th March 2012, 06:53 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6,036

More
Custom roms apps missing i just open the zip with win rar go to system /apps and ADD required apps or even delete apps not wanted close and flash .

Thats open not unzip .

jje
14th March 2012, 07:24 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin, Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachs

Why not make a custom rom .tar? install with odin? or mobile odin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan

Custom roms apps missing i just open the zip with win rar go to system /apps and ADD required apps or even delete apps not wanted close and flash .

Thats open not unzip .

jje

That is definitely a way to do it.
But since these apps get installed to /data/app when installed via odin. Hence, to replicate that (not needed), i mentioned unzipping and installing as a regular apk.
Another option is to open the zip as you said and place these in a /data/app folder and flash it.

But primarily, this thread was created because i have found people asking on many rom threads about missing these apps, without getting a reply...
14th March 2012, 08:54 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6,036

More
[QUOTE=ajayjohn;23616897]
But since these apps get installed to /data/app when installed via odin. Hence, to replicate that (not needed), i mentioned unzipping and installing as a regular apk.
Another option is to open the zip as you said and place these in a /data/app folder and flash it.

Its just the missing stock apps i put in system /apps i do not add apps to data s that is hit and miss unless the script is edited .
I also remove stuff i dont want from custom roms and add my own wallpaper ringtones boot CSC etc by the same method .

jje
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ajayjohn, missing, polaris, samsung, swype

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)