In most custom ICS ROM's, you might have noticed some apps like the Polaris office, Photo editor, IM or even Swype missing. These are not even there in many of the "Stock unmodified" versions released either. Surprisingly, they are very well present if you flash the original ROM through Odin. So where do these apps go? They are actually installed on first boot only if you flash from Odin.
Usual missing apps
- OceanWeather and WindyWeather live wallpapers
- Polaris Office
- Photo Editor
- Samsung IM
For those who do not want to go through this procedure and straight away want the CWM package of these missing files, you can download it from here...
How to extract them?
I am assuming the most common method ROM cooks use maybe using dsixda's kitchen (thanks to his fantastic scripts!).
When extracting and de-odexing the ROM, you may have noticed a file called hidden.img in the original ROM file which is usually ignored in this process. this file contains the above apps and they are installed to the /data/app folder. The hidden.img file is not readable using regular softwares, just like factoryfs.img.
Extract this hidden.img file from the original ROM image and paste it in the original_update folder of dsixda's kitchen (xxx.tar.md5 can be renamed to xxx.tar and opened in softwares like winrar)
- Rename the hidden.img file to factoryfs.img.
- Close any existing kitchen tasks and restart the kitchen.
- Select option 1 to set working folder.
- Make a backup of your existing working directory.
- When prompted, choose the factoryfs.img option to proceed with (option 3).
- You will get a message saying the file is being converted to a format for extraction.
- The ext2fs program should automatically be launched.
- Select open file in the program and choose the ext_factoryfs.img file (which is actually the converted from of the renamed hidden.img file).
- Right click on the left pane where the opened file is listed and select Save.
- Save it to the root folder of your working directory.
Now you will have a folder called data in your working directory with the missing apps. Include extraction of this folder in your updater script and you are done
If the tutorial wasn't clear, feel free to post questions on the thread.
Hope this was helpful, Cheers...