FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[LPX][3.01]GalaxyMOD: Battery Efficient,Faster, Smoother! Community managd OTA[26Sep]

278 posts
Thanks Meter: 446

By ajayjohn, Senior Member on 5th February 2012, 07:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
The cooks on this forum are fantastic and i have learnt a lot from them, but I prefer the Samsung ROM to stay as close to stock as possible.
Ideally, the choice to theme the ROM, add AOSP apps or even remove ringtones should rest with the user and this preference changes from person to person.
Also, excessive removal of system files whose functions are not fully understood can lead to further instability. Personally, i think its the most stable and battery efficient ICS ROM i have come across.

Quote:

It takes hours of effort to keep updating and maintaining the ROM and OTA packages with nothing much to look forward to at the end! If you really want to keep this thread updated and help me put in more effort, you can

to me using the link in my signature. If you can't donate, then clicking the "Thanks button" would be nice too...

Thanks to longtins!

Features
  • Deodexed
  • Zipaligned
  • Battery tweaks
  • Performance tweaks
  • Screen fixes
  • GPS quick-fix
  • Multi-CSC
  • Automatic EFS backup
  • Solution for empty My Apps in Market (Entirely the work of ken218)
  • OTA app for complete customization of the ROM through a built-in app (Credits to 89lucas89 and albsat for the idea)
  • Apex as default/backup launcher
  • Removed TouchWiz launcher (Through OTA app)
  • Removed all apps downloadable from the Market
  • Removed all hubs and Samsung Email (Through OTA app)
  • Remarkable Stability thanks to Samsung
  • Huge thanks to Lohigno for SGS3 elements on OTA. Credits go out to original guys who leaked the SGS3 ROM too.

Download Links
GM v3.0 users are strongly urged to apply the critical patch issued on OTA. No need of flashing the entire v3.01 ROM
GalaxyMOD XWLPX v3.01 Base ROM ( Please do read the instruction in red below)
CWM packages for individual needs like adding AOSP apps, themes etc. are in POST 2
FAQ's and quick fixes for common problems are in POST 3

Installation
Flash the zip file in Recovery mode. It is a No wipe ROM but it is highly recommended that you do a full wipe/factory reset from CWM before flashing this ROM.
On first boot-up after flashing, your screen may be blank with just the notification bar.
This is perfectly normal as some of the graphics library files need to be initialized.
Simply reboot the phone from the power menu and you will get the normal Android welcome screen on rebooting.

Screenshots (From LPB version)
(NOTE: Shown in the screenshots is just stock Samsung ICS, you can change this look based on which visual mods you flash from POST 2. Thanks to apeatan for the screenshots!)
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20120213_073549.jpg
Views:	24011
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	909393Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-02-13-07-30-25.jpg
Views:	23919
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	909394Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-02-13-07-30-08.jpg
Views:	23590
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	909395Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-02-13-07-29-48.jpg
Views:	22765
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	909398Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-02-13-07-30-01.jpg
Views:	20998
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	909399Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-02-14-01-12-30.jpg
Views:	19575
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	909400Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20120213_073536.jpg
Views:	20713
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	909401

My sincere thanks to Intellitech for the hosting!
Also thanks to Wanam, Lidroid, ken218, codeworkx and inumerable other XDA member's how have directly or indirectly helped me cook this ROM. Apologies, if i have missed out some any credits.

Cheers!
The Following 205 Users Say Thank You to ajayjohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ajayjohn Ad-Free

5th February 2012, 07:41 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin, Texas

More
Quote:

Login to OTA at http://ajayjohn.com/GalaxyMOD
Register for OTA at http://ajayjohn.com/GalaxyMOD/Register and leave a post on the thread for account activation.

Also, please ensure that following before uploading a new package on OTA,
  • The package is self tested and compatible with the latest released version of GalaxyMOD ROM.
  • Due credits have been given to the original contributors of the package by mentioning them in the description section.
  • As far as possible I will respond to any help requests on the XDA ROM thread, by other users, regarding this package.

Mods presently available on the community managed OTA (updated periodically, list appears slowly on page load...)
The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to ajayjohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ajayjohn Ad-Free
5th February 2012, 07:42 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin, Texas

More
FAQ's and Quick Fixes

A] Workaround for lack of option for vibrate+sound
1) Visit https://market.android.com/details?i...dManager&hl=en OR search for Sound Manager in your phone's Market and install it. (Thanks to Daniel Roozen)
2) Open the Sound Manager app and press the menu soft-key on your phone.
3) In the Menu popup, touch Vibrate settings.
4) Ensure that for both calls and notifications, the option "Vibrate whenever possible" is selected.
5) Press the back soft-key and exit the app. Test if notifications in any app (Messaging, whatsapp, Gmail etc.) work.
6) Even if you uninstall the Sound Manager app and the fix will still prevail.

B] Workaround unable to install on SD card error (Credits to aab44)
Use the kernel fix suggested here, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1510560
OR
1) Goto Settings --> Storage --> Scroll down and select Unmount SD card.
2) Accept the Application might be open dialog box and proceed.
3) Now try to install any apps that might have given errors previously and they should install correctly.
4) Remount SD card when needed.

C] Fix for Empty My Apps in Market (Thanks to ken218)
1) Visit https://market.android.com/details?i...io.marketfixer OR search for marketfixer in your phone's Market and install it.
2) Open the Market fixer app and click on "Load Market Data" button
3) After the scanning completes uninstall each of those apps (select and click on Delete checked entry).
4) Market should be fixed now, use available alternatives like AOSP gallery if necessary apps like Default gallery are suggested to be removed.

D] Reduce font size like in CM9 (Thanks to Sam Lu)
1) Visit https://market.android.com/details?i...t.gphone.bfont OR search for Big Font in your phone's Market and install it.
2) Open the app and choose a font size of your choice. You can even disable the notification icon.

E] Method to install Swype which can be updated (Unlike default Samsung versions)
1) Visit http://beta.swype.com/ and register/login.
2) Use the link received in your Beta invitation and visit it from your phone.
3) The link will provide the download for a SwypeInstaller app. Install it and follow instructions to get a proper and always updated version of Swype for your phone.

F] How to use the GalaxyMOD updater app (Credits to diddsen)
1) Open GalaxyMOD Updater and press the menu key and go to "Configuration" > "Extra Update Settings" > "Manage Extra Servers"
2) Now, press menu there and select "Update Featured Extra Servers" > "Yes"
3) Press menu and select "Update Featured Extra Servers"
4) Now click menu again and select "Enable"
5) Select "Enable all Extra Servers"
6) Go back and in ROM update settings select both checkboxes "Display all ROM updates" and "Display experimental ROMs"
7) Go back and restart the app and press the check now button, the tabs should now be populated

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to ajayjohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ajayjohn Ad-Free
5th February 2012, 10:33 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Thanks for posting your work, I've been waiting for a good stock ICS rom which is stable enough to use as a daily driver. Battery life seems to be good aswell.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to marcadam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marcadam Ad-Free
5th February 2012, 11:01 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 528

More
Can you add the 14 icons on top of status bar please? You share in your Rom the same thing that I was looking to find in the last ICS beta. Please consider the 14 icon tweak.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to albsat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift albsat Ad-Free
5th February 2012, 11:07 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 211

More
Nice rom, faster.
One bug after 2h, black screen during phone call.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
6th February 2012, 12:05 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
+ 1 on the lidroid style 14 toggle status bar. Until Jkay hopefully does his magic on LPB. Other than that I'm really happy no FC's.

6th February 2012, 12:25 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin, Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titosilva

Nice rom, faster.
One bug after 2h, black screen during phone call.

That is a common LPB bug, just cover the proximity sensor on top for a moment and the screen will be back again. Also, this will happen only for the first call after every reboot. Hope Samsung fix this issue in the next build.

This happens due to the wrong initial state set for the proximity sensor on boot, will try for a fix from my side.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajayjohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ajayjohn Ad-Free
6th February 2012, 12:30 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin, Texas

More
Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by albsat

Can you add the 14 icons on top of status bar please? You share in your Rom the same thing that I was looking to find in the last ICS beta. Please consider the 14 icon tweak.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcadam

+ 1 on the lidroid style 14 toggle status bar. Until Jkay hopefully does his magic on LPB. Other than that I'm really happy no FC's.

Am on vacation for 3 days and will leave in a few hours. I ideally didn't want to tamper with the base ROM as i would have preferred to keep it as vanilla as possible. It does not seem to be possible to create this lidroid style via an update package as its a framework change.
Will still try to find some other solution or upload a modified base.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajayjohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ajayjohn Ad-Free
6th February 2012, 08:38 AM |#10  
Flag QLD
Thanks Meter: 4,981

Donate to Me
More
Thank you for this rom i dont think ive had any issues all day using it. Good job

6th February 2012, 01:05 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 528

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayjohn

Am on vacation for 3 days and will leave in a few hours. I ideally didn't want to tamper with the base ROM as i would have preferred to keep it as vanilla as possible. It does not seem to be possible to create this lidroid style via an update package as its a framework change.
Will still try to find some other solution or upload a modified base.

Thank you...It would be great to have only lidroid style added. Nothing more. I like stock too. I added a battery mod and now things are much more according to my taste. Of course Lidroid style would be the remaing option.

My feedback. Just one phone freeze, mostly due to internet connection.

I am testing the kernel and I have a lot of partial wakeups....especially in Audio out...I hope battery life will be good here...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ajayjohn, galaxymod, ics, stock, xwlpg

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)