FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][CM7] 2.3.7 - PENGUINGURU'S ROM for SGSII AOSP BASED - v0.07b - [9th Dec 2011]

39 posts
Thanks Meter: 29

By tobias_r33per, Member on 11th November 2011, 01:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread

My Second venture into the SGSII Rom world, this is my CM7 Based ROM, i will also have a Stock based ROM

I present Penguinguru's ROM for SGSII CM7 v0.07b

Please keep in mind this is a HUGE work in progress and im doing this as a side project and NOT a full time development thing
So changes will happen and i will try and get a nice little release cycle going.

This is built from the the awesome work of the Cyanogen Teams Nightlies tree!

Built straight from the GIT CM7.2 RC0 sources and compiled, BIG THANKS TO TeamHacksung!!!! for the hard work in porting to this wonderful device

Quote:

- CM7 Nightly Based Rom CM7.2.0 RC0
- Added Custom boot animation - [BOOT ANIMATION] The Droids - Thanks Dysgenic
- Changed back to 240Dpi
- Removed some CM apps left ones that i found useful to me (let me know if other should be included.)
- Added some extra APKs from AOSP and Launcher 2, Google Music Player v4.0.9 - UPDATED
- Updated to the recent Nightly trees
- Improved Power Managment
- Altered Mount points for External_SD from EMMC
- Major Performance Tweaks
- UI speed improvements
- Return of the Theme Chooser
- Included the Extra Theme

*Things to do*

- Custom Wallpaper
- More Custom apps
- add Dmesg boot screen option

Quote:

Instructions

REMEMBER THIS IS BASED ON CM7 NIGHTLY TREE at the time of release so all bugs from those come in the lunch-box

But im all for AOSP

So congrats to you all you are gonna be the best testers im sure

As Always with a new ROM Flashed ZIP via CWM 4+ , WIPE EVERTHING Before you start!!

TEST AT YOUR OWN RISK: I Take no reponsibility if you brick your phone or there is a fire or your cat turns demonic and you cant flash you phone again.

Download links

Download version 0.07b (Based on CM7.2 RC0)

Download Google APPS (No Longer Included, Flash After Rom)

Download default kernel v0.07b(CM7.2 RC0)

Previous Versions will also be left Here:

Quote:

Teamhacksung - for the sources used
-atinm
-codeworkx
-coolya
-jt1134
-koush
-pawitp
-tjstyle
-Unhelpful
-GuiPerPT
Cyanogenmod Team - for CM7 Sources
-DvTonder - For the kernel

Sources:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod
http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=galaxys2 CM7 nightlies changlog for SGS2
https://github.com/teamhacksung
https://github/dvtonder
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tobias_r33per For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tobias_r33per Ad-Free

11th November 2011, 01:45 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
Changlog:

Quote:

v0.07b

- Added some extra APKs from AOSP and Launcher 2, Google Music Player v4.0.9 - UPDATED
- Improved Power Managment
- Altered Mount points for External_SD from EMMC
- Major Performance Tweaks
- UI speed improvements

v0.05b

- Changed back to 240DPI
- Removed some CM apps left ones that i found useful to me (let me know if other should be included.)
- Added some extra APKs
- Return of the Theme Chooser + The Themes
Known Issues:
- DSP and EQ Forceclosing in certain situations using Headphones - Resolved
- External_SD Card Mount point not set correctly. - Resolved[/B]

v0.02b

- CM7 Nightly Based Rom CM7.2.0 RC0!!!!
- Added Custom boot animation - [BOOT ANIMATION] The Droids - Thanks Dysgenic
- Changed to 186Dpi for more screen realestate
- Added some extra APKs from AOSP and Launcher 2, Google Music Player -
- Return of the Theme Chooser

v0.01A

- CM7 Nightlies base #101
- Custom Boot Animation
- Sparks KERNEL
- DE-OXED
- Removed ADW Launcher, CM Themes and Theme Settings, Other smaller apks
- Added:
- Original Google Based Apps - Launcher2, Music App, Google Videos.
The Following User Says Thank You to tobias_r33per For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tobias_r33per Ad-Free
12th November 2011, 11:03 PM |#3  
Rom is running very well I must say, very smooth, and nice to have the bloatware removed. Very promising, and has the lovely Aosp clean feel. Also nice to have the Extra Device settings.

Many thanks, and Regards.
13th November 2011, 01:14 AM |#4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 3,939

More
tobias_r33per,

If you are using my SPARKZ_2 kernel as part of this ROM you should stop!

The version you have is outdated and no longer supported. Current CM7 source includes several updates subsequent to the kernel version you are using. If you are indeed building from source you should know this already.

Would also have been the decent thing to do to give credit to TeamHacksung for all the work they did in bringing CM7 to this device and myself for the kernel you are using. Especially since you are clearly not in a position to be providing the support for this ROM - I will have to deal with the SPARKZ related questions that will come up (and they will come up, there are bugs in it!).

I caution all who would install this rom - stick with the real CyanogenMod, at least then you get the latest and know what you get.
The Following User Says Thank You to DvTonder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th November 2011, 04:16 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvTonder

tobias_r33per,

If you are using my SPARKZ_2 kernel as part of this ROM you should stop!

The version you have is outdated and no longer supported. Current CM7 source includes several updates subsequent to the kernel version you are using. If you are indeed building from source you should know this already.

Would also have been the decent thing to do to give credit to TeamHacksung for all the work they did in bringing CM7 to this device and myself for the kernel you are using. Especially since you are clearly not in a position to be providing the support for this ROM - I will have to deal with the SPARKZ related questions that will come up (and they will come up, there are bugs in it!).

I caution all who would install this rom - stick with the real CyanogenMod, at least then you get the latest and know what you get.

Thanks for your feedback, i realize that the kernel is outdated, this build was made sometime ago and i know the current build from git are using an updated kernel version for #106 and higher, it was merely included for testing and thus being an alpha build.

Quote:

Especially since you are clearly not in a position to be providing the support for this ROM

This is rather a bold claim to make though, my bad if i dont live up to high standards

I do love your kernel and all the work TeamHacksung have done getting CM to run on this device, i am in full support and donate to the cause.

Builds after this will be based on higher nighties and NOT include the version of kernel in the alpha, i made this ROM NOT to take away from the work of the TeamHacksung team but rather add some more things that I used to make CM7 something for me, i decided to share this with others and will continue to to so as the greatest thing people can have is choice

I would no worry about the support factor mate as the kernel wont be in the next build.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobias_r33per For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tobias_r33per Ad-Free
13th November 2011, 09:37 AM |#6  
Hi there.
Found a problem, Battery was not taking charge, but battery was Red Hot. A full wipe was made previous to flashing. Never had this problem before and may have been a "One off', but worth mentioning. I have reflashed Oxygen, and charging is fine.

Regards
13th November 2011, 11:30 AM |#7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias_r33per

This is rather a bold claim to make though, my bad if i dont live up to high standards

Let me give an example or two:

In your first post you state you did the following:

- CM7 Nightly Based Rom - To quote you: in the beginning you say: "Built straight from the GIT CM7 sources and compiled from scratch" then, when I point out you are using an outdated kernel, you respond by saying "this build was made sometime ago..." - which is it? Which Nightly is it based on? If properly configured, one can build a completely themed and customized KANG in as little as 7 minutes, why would yours be so outdated?

- Rooted with latest SU and busybox - Why? CM7 is already rooted and both apps are included as part of CM7 already, built from source.

- De-Oxed for Themes - Why? CM7 comes with TMobile Theme Chooser and lots of theses are freely available in the market and on XDA.

- Zip-aligned - Why? This is done automatically by the CM7 Build script already

- Debugging on by default. - why would you do this? From what I can see, none of what you have done changed code.

If you are changing the code, where is your source? CM7 is GPL, and the source must be made available?

From your lists, all of what you did or want to do is either not needed, or can be done as an CWM flashable .zip "add-on" for a real CM7 nightly or a Theme Chooser Theme.
13th November 2011, 12:01 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvTonder

Let me give an example or two:

In your first post you state you did the following:

- CM7 Nightly Based Rom - To quote you: in the beginning you say: "Built straight from the GIT CM7 sources and compiled from scratch" then, when I point out you are using an outdated kernel, you respond by saying "this build was made sometime ago..." - which is it? Which Nightly is it based on? If properly configured, one can build a completely themed and customized KANG in as little as 7 minutes, why would yours be so outdated?

- Rooted with latest SU and busybox - Why? CM7 is already rooted and both apps are included as part of CM7 already, built from source.

- De-Oxed for Themes - Why? CM7 comes with TMobile Theme Chooser and lots of theses are freely available in the market and on XDA.

- Zip-aligned - Why? This is done automatically by the CM7 Build script already

- Debugging on by default. - why would you do this? From what I can see, none of what you have done changed code.

If you are changing the code, where is your source? CM7 is GPL, and the source must be made available?

From your lists, all of what you did or want to do is either not needed, or can be done as an CWM flashable .zip "add-on" for a real CM7 nightly or a Theme Chooser Theme.

To sum all this up:

1) It is nightly based but on #101 from what i remember

2) NO SOURCE CODE HAS BEEN CHANGED IN THIS VERSION! configs files yes and apks yes and kernel yes

3) I listed those things to help those who read and may not have seen or read or even used CM7, that way they know, people need info

4) It isnt finished i said there is a lot to do in this one, and i dont even know what the state of this rom build may end up being, it was built a while ago but i thought id share what i have done all ready

5) IM LEARNING its taking me a while to get used to this sorta thing, im sorry that im a not "seasoned" or "expert" at this yet and may never be, its a hobby.

6) Do you flame all new devs this way or am i a special case , im not made of time and i do this for a experience and if i could do this on a daily basis or so it would be more up to date

If this sorta thing continues, i will just stop touching the CM7 and stay with my first ROM built from stock modifiction, i must say your not making me feel like i should be doing this. I respect the team and the work but your making out like i am violating your space and NO ONE should touch the stuff.
13th November 2011, 12:05 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzboy

Hi there.
Found a problem, Battery was not taking charge, but battery was Red Hot. A full wipe was made previous to flashing. Never had this problem before and may have been a "One off', but worth mentioning. I have reflashed Oxygen, and charging is fine.

Regards

Thanks for this info, interesting, i will see what might be causing this, i have an idea though.
The Following User Says Thank You to tobias_r33per For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tobias_r33per Ad-Free
13th November 2011, 01:39 PM |#10  
Agreed the comments were heavy handed and unacceptable, and should have been PM'd as apposed to embarrassing the OP.
Everyone starts somewhere.
13th November 2011, 01:49 PM |#11  
Recognized Developer
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias_r33per

To sum all this up:

1) It is nightly based but on #101 from what i remember

2) NO SOURCE CODE HAS BEEN CHANGED IN THIS VERSION! configs files yes and apks yes and kernel yes

3) I listed those things to help those who read and may not have seen or read or even used CM7, that way they know, people need info

4) It isnt finished i said there is a lot to do in this one, and i dont even know what the state of this rom build may end up being, it was built a while ago but i thought id share what i have done all ready

5) IM LEARNING its taking me a while to get used to this sorta thing, im sorry that im a not "seasoned" or "expert" at this yet and may never be, its a hobby.

6) Do you flame all new devs this way or am i a special case , im not made of time and i do this for a experience and if i could do this on a daily basis or so it would be more up to date

If this sorta thing continues, i will just stop touching the CM7 and stay with my first ROM built from stock modifiction, i must say your not making me feel like i should be doing this. I respect the team and the work but your making out like i am violating your space and NO ONE should touch the stuff.

It is/was not my intention to flame you nor have I done so.

All I have done was point out originally that you should not be using my kernel with the new nightlies as it is outdated and has known bugs. Your description did not include the version of the CM7 base you are using and still doesn't. I was trying to avoid users with an unknown base of CM7 coming over to start asking questions in either the CM7 Q&A thread or my SPARKZ_2 kernel thread.

I am still a 'new' developer myself, this is certainly not my 'space' and I encourage anyone to take it on as well. It is a fun and rewarding hobby. We all had to start learning somewhere and are still learning every day. The XDA community is there to support and guide you.

I personally would not have started with publishing a full CM7 derivative ROM. There are known issues with both installing and running CM7, including buzzboy's phone heating/battery issue above, that you will now have to provide support for in this thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DvTonder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
aosp, cm7, cyanogen, penguinguru

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)