ROM Reviews and Discussion

Search This thread

retarii

Jun 15, 2011
Hi guys,

Still on stock ROM, but looking to flash a new one really soon - looked through both Original and Development threads and haven't been very confident so far. Why?

The most popular ones seem to be Lightening and VillainROM, but I haven't found any comprehensive reviews of their battery life and performance - VillainROM doesn't have screenshots either. Mostly the posts on their threads are questions or debugging or pointing out bugs, so its hard to get a proper gauge.

So what are your thoughts on the ROMs so far? Looking for the usual - good battery, stability, performance. I don't care much for the blue of Lightening but as long as it works, it works. What makes it different from Villain?

Also appreciate any other ROMs that may be good to install!

Thanks! :)

Mastur Mynd

Aug 3, 2011
Connersville
One of the best and smoothest ROMs I've tried has been CyanogenMod 7. Its stable (even in the 7.1 RC), fast, good battery life and reliable. Check it out, its a definite favorite in my book

Sent from my Droid 1 CM7.1.0 RC1

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
So far I've only tested VillainROM. I'm waiting for a more stable CM7 to try it out, but until then VR seems to be okay. To be honest there's nothing special about it. Battery life is acceptable, it's close to a stock rom, it doesn't have bugs, it has Nimpo kernel, vrtweaks which let you install some mods more easily, and the devs are skilled and helpful. That's enough for me :)

EmilianM

Aug 26, 2006
So far I've only tested VillainROM. I'm waiting for a more stable CM7 to try it out, but until then VR seems to be okay. To be honest there's nothing special about it. Battery life is acceptable, it's close to a stock rom, it doesn't have bugs, it has Nimpo kernel, vrtweaks which let you install some mods more easily, and the devs are skilled and helpful. That's enough for me :)

Which one of this roms has BLN already activated?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

on2a

Aug 5, 2010
I've now used villain, darkys, adam's aosp, CM7 and MIUI.

All great roms. Villain and darky are both quite close too stock TW. AdamG AOSP is as about as close to androidstock as you can get-which is clean and simple. CM7 is the ultimate ROM for the tweaker and hacker and its also v fast.

MIUI is the most visually different rom. It looks completely different and has some great visual cues. Battery life its also v good on the latest build (.29 beta 32). Its the one I'm using at the moment, but I switch between it and CM7 on occasion.

you won't go wrong with any and although they aren't fully stable (the non TW ones). I've never had any stability issues with them. Just be prepared to not have an fm radio or full bluetooth audio...

My 2 cents, hope it helps!

on2a

Aug 5, 2010
P.s. Not sure about lightening but one of the earlier builds of villain gave me the best battery life ever on this phone. I think it was 1.4, but this was about a month ago..

retarii

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks, I may want to stick close to TW-based ROMs for the time being until CM7 is stable and GS2-friendly then :) I've done MIUI before, its a fantastic ROM for older phones, but of course there's problems with translations sometimes and the UI gets old/too iphone after a while.

skimminstones

currently on lightening 2.2 with nimphetamine 2.04 kernal. More than happy with my battery. I get more than a days use out of it quite easily, battery loss is about 1% an hour in standby and the rom itself is very stable. Ive never had a force close, reboot or anything. Im using the steel blue theme too as i like the look of the icons more.

Ive no plans to try any other roms until a fully released cynagen rom is available which i will try, just to see what the fuss is about more than anything.

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
A VillainROM user here along with ninphetamine kernel I find this the best combination, battery life is awesome and the devs are useful. It's smooth fast and just well top notch.

I've tried many roms but always come back to VR. The best thing to do is try them and find one for your own liking there are dozens to choose from now. In the future I'll try CM7 as I used to run that on my DHD but as of now I'm happy with the TW roms.

byobodybag

Jun 21, 2011
Batista70 ROM w/ Ninpo's 2.0.5 kernel here, so far so good. Runs smooth and quite battery-friendly.

I've used Lite'ning also but somehow the I've run into some battery drain issues with it before. Eye'ing CM7 once it gets a stable release.

BatterOnIt SC

Jun 22, 2010
London
The latest CM7 nightly, 13, is running really well, it all seems just as it was on my Desire so far, no crashes, just a lockscreen hang every now and again.

Don't know about the Bluetooth audio as I prefer a wired headset.