Display problem/yellowish left side

16 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By Erethnor, Junior Member on 14th May 2011, 11:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th July 2011, 01:51 PM |#1261  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I've just stop talking with a friend of mine. He bought one of the first Samsung Galaxy S II with firmware KE2. He told me that the display is perfect.

I'm thinking .. is there a relationship between the kernel and the screen issue ?

My opion: KE7 has a worst charging management and the overheat creates the yellow strip .. .
4th July 2011, 01:53 PM |#1262  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSlump76

Yes, i confirm! I'we opened 3 boxes until now:
the first had one dead pixel and banding plus yellow tint
the second, the one i have now, has a discrete yellow tint
the third had a massive weird white stain on the upper side, which pops out the screen with red background (i tested the unit with the *#0*#), so i decide to keep the second one.

The customer said that i can choose to give my phone to the samsung tecnical support, but i'm afraid that the unit they will return to me can be even worse than the actual Now i'm in the air about the decision...

If its discrete as you say, then I'd imagine its something like I have, which is barely visible, and visible only if you are looking for it, in that case, I'd stay with your phone, at least till the issue is resolved, then I'd try it
4th July 2011, 01:54 PM |#1263  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvidia

I confirm that !

I feel like selling this crap.... but when I look for alternatives .... what to buy ?? that's the question.

I quote: this display suffers the ghosting issue.
4th July 2011, 02:00 PM |#1264  
Gelderd End, 1974
Thanks Meter: 1,068

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketAM

I've just stop talking with a friend of mine. He bought one of the first Samsung Galaxy S II with firmware KE2. He told me that the display is perfect.

I'm thinking .. is there a relationship between the kernel and the screen issue ?

My opion: KE7 has a worst charging management and the overheat creates the yellow strip .. .

Kernel - don't think so. I bought early too (middle of May) and am currently back on KE2. Have tried KE1, KE7, KF2 and KF3, stock and custom ROMs, and my display has shown no change (slightly darker on left, only visible on dropdown and keyboard, doesn't worry me at all).
The Following User Says Thank You to B3311 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift B3311 Ad-Free
4th July 2011, 02:11 PM |#1265  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheiko

If its discrete as you say, then I'd imagine its something like I have, which is barely visible, and visible only if you are looking for it, in that case, I'd stay with your phone, at least till the issue is resolved, then I'd try it

Of course it's visible is you search for it. It's less visible if i raise the brightness from 50% to 100%. It's more noticeable when you open the messages app, where the background is darkgray.

P.s. did you post a picture of your screen @25%-50% brightness? Please can you post it, i would like to compare yours with mine. Thankyou
4th July 2011, 02:11 PM |#1266  
Flag Venice

More
I agree, having tried many version and the problem never occurred...
4th July 2011, 02:29 PM |#1267  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flute

I agree, having tried many version and the problem never occurred...

Wich version of what?
4th July 2011, 02:33 PM |#1268  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:

Of course it's visible is you search for it. It's less visible if i raise the brightness from 50% to 100%. It's more noticeable when you open the messages app, where the background is darkgray.

P.s. did you post a picture of your screen @25%-50% brightness? Please can you post it, i would like to compare yours with mine. Thankyou

Ok, send me PM, so I wont forget after arriving home from work, I'll make some pictures, so you can say if its worse or better...
The Following User Says Thank You to Zheiko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zheiko Ad-Free
4th July 2011, 02:36 PM |#1269  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketAM

Maybe. Surely, the heat generated from the phone during charging and during normal use, is not a good cure for the amoled display. As i've already wrote, seems like that the darker area of the display overlaps the high tempereature areas. To be 100% i should use a thermal camera. As son i can i will do it.
4th July 2011, 02:42 PM |#1270  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 5,187

More
There's really two separate issues that sometimes overlap:

1) The left side banding which appears along with a yellow tint either under certain conditions or, to some, in everyday use. This would seem to be a design issue as, to date, it shows up on every single phone produced.

2) Screen QC issues which include: 1) suction cup circles from production, 2) fingerprints on the inside of the display, 3) dead pixels, 4) vertical or horizontal lines, 5) ghosting, 6) white or black blotches, and 7) wide swings in color temperature.

There's no doubt the QC issues are probably vexing to Samsung. Based on the sheer quantity of displays they need to produce to satisfy demand they're either intentionally allowing displays to go out that shouldn't or are finding out from customers that bad displays got passed QC. Considering the large number of phones sold it's hard to guess the bad:good ratio but it would appear its larger than appropriate. And it doesn't appear to be getting better as newer builds seem to have the same issues as early builds. So banding may be forever but swapping phones may definitely help with the other issues.

I do think that adding the QC issues on top of the banding issue does compound it on some phones. That could certainly explain why some of us are happy and others aren't. There's still a lot of subjectivity at play so it will always be hard to say if what's acceptable to some is unacceptable to others. But with all the phones sold, you'd still think if more than a few percent had serious screen issues there would be a bigger audience for this thread and the issue(s) would have become more prominent on its own. I'd like to think things will get better but production demands may continue to allow QC issues to occur at higher than normal rates. Something that's frustrating for everyone - including Samsung.

Someone said something about the technology being flawed. Here's two links to stories where Apple was/is trying to get SAMOLED for their products. To me, it just helps reinforce that the benefits (color, contrast, viewing angles) still outweigh the downsides (screen life, burn in, inconsistency). And I'm sure Apple's engineers fully reviewed both the upside and downside before considering SAMOLED so it's still kind of a vote of confidence in the technology.

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/05/26...y-constraints/

http://www.electronista.com/articles...pad.3.in.2011/
4th July 2011, 02:47 PM |#1271  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 5,187

More
Quote:

To be 100% i should use a thermal camera. As son i can i will do it.

That would be really interesting to see. If it is heat related, it could also reinforce your concern about it potentially getting worse with time. If it does, and that time is less than the two year warranty, this little issue could end up costing Samsung a small fortune in screen replacements.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
crying over nothing, display problem, iphone lovers here, winning, yellow tint, yellow tint fix

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)