External Antenna Socket - WARNING

Search This thread

kingqueen

Aug 15, 2009
I have been attempting to use the antenna socket located under the battery cover on my S2. Sometimes I go to a very remote location for a week where I can only get reception via a amplified Yagi pointing at the nearest transmitter (Orange only as well, no other networks for miles.) I currently use a P1i for this as being dated it has an antenna socket.

I wanted to do the same with the S2. I was very excited to spot the antenna socket under the battery cover. Much research online doesn't really give much information about it; neither did a phone call to Samsung (who were unhelpful.) Some online shops in Australia sell a constructed link for it but nobody here in the UK does, as far as I can tell. So I was looking at creating my own pigtail lead.

Having difficulty finding what precisely the socket is, (it isn't an MCCX I can guarantee, others report it isn't an MCX) I took a thin wire and pushed it into the centre to see if I could bodge a connection together.

Big mistake! The external antenna works - but now the internal connector doesn't. Whenever an external antenna is connected it disconnects the internal one. It turns out that if you use the wrong side wire, it appears to force apart two contacts within the socket (best I can tell with my loupe) and the internal antenna never works again.

I suspect the solution for Galaxy S which sometimes had a spontaneous similar issue - removing the antenna socket and shorting the contacts - would work, but it's not at all simple to do especially given the infrastructure on the other side of the PCB.

People think that this socket is only intended as a test point for use by Samsung before shipping the phone. I would strongly suggest NOT MESSING WITH IT or using it - and if you do, to buy (import if necessary) the specially made cable. Otherwise you may suffer my fate and have no internal antenna connection any more.

Beware...

Last edited:

silk_nz

Apr 29, 2008
Oamaru
I have been attempting to use the antenna socket located under the battery cover on my S2. Sometimes I go to a very remote location for a week where I can only get reception via a amplified Yagi pointing at the nearest transmitter (Orange only as well, no other networks for miles.) I currently use a P1i for this as being dated it has an antenna socket.

I wanted to do the same with the S2. I was very excited to spot the antenna socket under the battery cover. Much research online doesn't really give much information about it; neither did a phone call to Samsung (who were unhelpful.) Some online shops in Australia sell a constructed link for it but nobody here in the UK does, as far as I can tell. So I was looking at creating my own pigtail lead.

Having difficulty finding what precisely the socket is, (it isn't an MCCX I can guarantee, others report it isn't an MCX) I took a thin wire and pushed it into the centre to see if I could bodge a connection together.

Big mistake! The external antenna works - but now the internal connector doesn't. Whenever an external antenna is connected it disconnects the internal one. It turns out that if you use the wrong side wire, it appears to force apart two contacts within the socket (best I can tell with my loupe) and the internal antenna never works again.

I suspect the solution for Galaxy S which sometimes had a spontaneous similar issue - removing the antenna socket and shorting the contacts - would work, but it's not at all simple to do especially given the infrastructure on the other side of the PCB.

People think that this socket is only intended as a test point for use by Samsung before shipping the phone. I would strongly suggest NOT MESSING WITH IT or using it - and if you do, to buy (import if necessary) the specially made cable. Otherwise you may suffer my fate and have no internal antenna connection any more.

Beware...

Maybe pushing the same bit of wire back in would again bridge the contacts and give you your internal aerial back? Snip it off just above the socket?

Reactions: kingqueen

kingqueen

Aug 15, 2009
Maybe pushing the same bit of wire back in would again bridge the contacts and give you your internal aerial back? Snip it off just above the socket?

Thanks for the excellent helpful suggestion, regrettably it doesn't work though. The little bit of wire itself works as an antenna but it doesn't reconnect the internal antenna. I think this is by design: pushing a pin in should disconnect the internal and connect the external, sadly in my case whilst it did do this the wrong diameter wire stopped it going the other way!

Happily good news: I've negotiated a warranty replacement, doorstep swap for a new one. Thank you O2.

Additional info for anybody thinking of trying to get a connector for this socket: having received an MCX connector in the post today, I can confirm that both MCX and MCCX connectors are definitely not compatible with the phone's external aerial socket and can't be bodged to work on it either.

Elsewhere forum contributors state a Samsung tech told them it is an "MPX" connector. The only MPX connector I can find on the Web is something entirely different, not for use with mobile phones.

What a mystery

Thanks once again

kingqueen

Aug 15, 2009

LBTaylor1984

Aug 22, 2005
London
being that its under the battery cover, with no opening to the outside casing I would assume this to be a Manufacturer port only. and therefore shouldn't be used, nor played with.

I appreciate your efforts and troubles but sometimes you should leave these things alone, is there not a solution that doesn't require a connection?

n-zocker

Jul 24, 2008
OnePlus 8 Pro

kingqueen

Aug 15, 2009
I appreciate your efforts and troubles but sometimes you should leave these things alone, is there not a solution that doesn't require a connection?

Not really! Passive antenna couplers don't work. I'll have to go back to my p1i with its antenna socket and Sony Ericsson antenna lead, obviously designed to be used. Old skool! Even then I can only get signal on one network, amplified using a vehicle pcs amplifier and using a directional Yagi...

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

^^^ cos my SGS2 is dead and not swapped out yet :-(

boxhead72

Oct 5, 2011
Sydney
sorry to hear you've had the same fate as me!

Did you use the official patch lead e.g. (Link deleted) or try to bodge one like me? I've ordered an official one but think I'm too scared to use it, having broken one s2 already!

Further info, it's an MS147 connector.

I did use the Cellink connector and it killed my internal antenna.

I asked about this and was told they checked with Samsung and the port is ok to use. Sounds like a design problem but will wait and see what the service centre says.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Not really! Passive antenna couplers don't work. I'll have to go back to my p1i with its antenna socket and Sony Ericsson antenna lead, obviously designed to be used. Old skool! Even then I can only get signal on one network, amplified using a vehicle pcs amplifier and using a directional Yagi...

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

^^^ cos my SGS2 is dead and not swapped out yet :-(

What about active, such as those solutions from companies like Wilson?

I have had excellent results with their vehicle amplifier kit here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011GI94Q

However it sounds like you'll need significantly more "oomph" - probably one of their higher-gain building-oriented kits, with a cradle and a Yagi.

I believe their non-direct-connect amps have the gain increased to compensate for the losses of the phone coupling.

pesca

Feb 26, 2008
Joinville
Galaxy S (i9000T), same problem here

Hi everyone. I have a SGS i9000T, had the same problem as you guys.

I was in a rural area (Brazil), and it's very common there to use external antennas (by very common I mean, it's the only way to get a signal). My mother-in-law has cheap cellphone for this and I tried to connect her antenna. I has not only worked like magic, but also all the area suddenly had wifi internet access!

But after I had disconnected the antenna and traveled to the civilization again, no signal, just like happened to some here. It happened *exactly* the same way with my HTC Touch (GSM). At first I thought it was a problem with the phone, now I see it's the same connector.

The fun thing is, yesterday I went to a Samsung service center and there was this poster with tips for your phone (like, how to backup phone contents, how to clean it, carrier block matters, etc), and there was it, with huge letters: "DO NOT CONNECT AN EXTERNAL ANTENNA TO YOUR SAMSUNG PHONE. IT MAY STOP HAVING A SIGNAL AND IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY." Well, actually, it was in portuguese, but that's what it said. It's like, "yes, we know there is a MicroSD slot in your phone, but no one said you could use it, now your warranty is void"!

My phone was not under warranty anymore anyway, so I'll try the soldering method, I guess.

As for the connector, seems like bad design to me.

victor79

Jul 23, 2008
Easy solution

Smae thing happened to me. There is a piece like a fuse between antenna plugs as seen in the picture. If this piece is missing, you can't get signal. So just apply a small solder at that part and it is done. Any cell phone technician can do that, no need to send to Samsung service and pay more, if your device is not under guarantee of course.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Not really bad design, other than maybe marking it clearly as "Factory test only" - which is why that antenna connector is there.

It is extremely rare for phones to have antenna connectors these days.

dpuk

Dec 8, 2011
If this cable works, we'll have the best solution for now :)

Yep works great, the port is activated by the connection of the patch lead which will override the internal antenna. Make sure you buy the lead for the galaxy S II and not galaxy S, as the pin on the connector is slightly different in length.

maybe email them see if they can post outside Australia, as it's usually only a couple dollars more expensive.

spookyx

Nov 1, 2009
Bucharest
www.waze.ro
Yep... I did it.
Long before this thread i have researched about this connector and what it is more exactly... I assumed it might have been for gps as well... Anyway, last night i tried a connector, which was close, but wouldn't fit... But I guess that has broken my internal antenna...

Wondering what should I do...

Sent from my GT-P1000 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

I guess it would be nice that this thread/warning be sticky! :)

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Smae thing happened to me. There is a piece like a fuse between antenna plugs as seen in the picture. If this piece is missing, you can't get signal. So just apply a small solder at that part and it is done. Any cell phone technician can do that, no need to send to Samsung service and pay more, if your device is not under guarantee of course.

can you elaborate more on this? a better/close-up picture if possible?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Beware...
    Removing the broken external antenna connector and only using the internal

Hey guys.
    This is my first post on XDA.
    I was so "lucky" to but a cheap used S2, with the promise that it worked 100%.
    Unfortunately this wasn’t the case. When I got home I quickly realized that the signal was extremely poor, with the same sim card and carrier as a have used on my old HD2. Instead of finding the ***** that sold me the phone and hitting here with a pipe, I started updating the phone and searching the web for answers.
    I found you guys in here and started investigating if I was falling victim to the same external antenna connector error.
    Fortunately I am an electronic engineer, and have access to the right equipment for the job.
    I first notates that the external connector look like it had been damaged. Maybe someone had used a wrong connector :-(. See first photo.

I found the data sheet for a similar connector (MS-147) and it did have a internal switch that disconnects the onboard antenna when a external is connected.
    Data sheet, page 4:
    I am not allowed to post a link to the datasheet but do a google search for “hirose MS-147 pdf”

I verified that the internal switch where broken by some simple connectivity measurement and I also tried make a small antenna with some thin wire place in the connector. The small wire gave me a couple of bars in signal strength.
    So I went for it and soldered the connector out and replaced it by a small wire that connects the transmitter/receiver to the internal antenna.

Hope this helps shed some light on the issue and one way to fix it.
    I would only recommend this solution if you have a thin soldering iron and some experience using it. I used a microscope as well, but this is a luxury I used because I could:).

I think that this connector can be use as an external antenna connector, but only with extreme care and most definitely only with cable using a 100% matching male connector.

I so in another forum someone recommend a inductive cradle that can be hook up to a external antenna with a big improvement.
    Again I can not poste direct link since I am a noob…..
    But do a google search for this part no: CK589-AMGC
    i9100 GSM loss strength problem

Folks,

I think I solved that problem with a easy procedure ! Work for my, maybe work for others....

I'm noob here yet...So I can't put link,I will try to explain only with words (my english is so-so...sorry for that)

As other in this thread, I made the same mistake: connected wrong RF antena cable in my Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 (VIVO BRAZIL with OFICIAL Jelly Bean 4.1.2....I try to install other rooms, to verify is a software problem, but I realised was a hardware problem) and damage the little RF conector ... so, after that my GSM signal is very poor in most areas I use...except in my work, but I believe is because is a build with 9 floor ....so I think this don't count !

For my lucky, my wife have too a i9100 and in attempt to understand the problem, I disassembly entire these two i9100 e exchange almost parts between the phones.... conclusion: Really is that conector that Dr. Hammer mentioned, unfortunately is virtually impossible to change that if you don't have the properly equipment and experience with micro-soldering...in my case I haven't.

But, like a average brazilian guy, I don't have much money to spend in a new smartphone (I think this is globally for most folks here.. kkkkkk)....I decide to search more deeper to solve this problem.

Even without experience and equipment, I decide to take this conector, I find that correct name, is RF Switch Connector MHC-705.

So, obviously I wouldn't try first in my i9100, afterall... I consider a noob in electronic area.... and even the GSM signal is dead, the device still works perfectly for other purposes (surfing in web, games....) so I get a old LG KP130, who has a similar conector.

The problem is that soldering is in the PCB (motherboard) surface (made by machines or other process tha don't envolved human hands)...so is very trick to take out, but I was able to take out that conector, the problem is it fells apart when I take out from PCB (useless to my i9100) .... moreover, when I tryed soldering a little tiny cable (to emulate what I will do in my i9100), the heat of soldering iron (a normal one, 40w) burns some parts of PCB (even I care to don't touch in PCB surface)...result: the internal antena of Lg KP130 don't work anymore.

So I realise isn't possible to do the same in my i9100....After that, I accepted I was a owner of a "Samsung's Ipod" .....

But, meanwhile I clean the mess,I had idea: Ok, some folks inserted little cables in that conector and work.... I if I could put some solder in that little hole to fill the connecor, will be resolve ?

I got some solder (after melted by soldering iron.... some little fillets of solder has drop in the table during ther process .. I really don't know if the proprerties of melted solder is diferent.. I used solder after has melted by a iron and was cold) and a needle and begin to put in little hole of the connector of my i9100... I pressure a little the needle so put more as I can.... and voilá !! the signal strength UP to 100%.... and after 2 week still that way!!

I travelled to other areas and signal still the same when I don't have this problem.....so I belive I fix that.

The advantage I see in this method compare to the others (Dr.Hammer, the brazilian khazmodan or Argentine hellcore):

- Easily to do: if you have a good eye and hand
    - Very cheap: some melted solder and a needle
    - Very quickly.: I took about 5 minutos to do all that (subtract the process of KP130)
    - No need dismount: only open the back of you phone ant take out the battery for prevention
    - Less invasive: Don't change the stetic of device....because ins almost impossible to see the solder in the conector.

Cons:

- You will never could (never is strong in that area, but will very hard to do taht) connect other RF cable in the MHC-705 RF Switch connector again (I think is a good one...kkkkk)
    - You need buy a Soldering iron and solder (Here in Brazil is relative cheaper...some like U$ 10)

I can tell too that my friend connected the same wrong cable in her i9300 and get same problem....but for her lucky, the phone still in warranty and the reseller would change the motherboard....maybe he will get in 04/01/13 her phone

I hope that could help others to solve similar problems....

Thanks a lot to all folks in this thread, specially to Dr. Hammer and my compatriot Khazmodan (Khazmodan: here, in Porto Alegre, a local shop charge R$ 150,00 .. about $ 75,00 to do same that Dr. Hammer suggest, but they don't garantee will work... in fact they saw that is possible to bricket my phone too....without refound).

Best regards.
    Folks,

I find the schematic of that connector, helps me to resolve my problem, I'm a junior here in XDA Forum, so I only can atthach files.. here is.

I made a simple little schematics to show how I understand the problem and how I solved (for me work).... sorry for poor quality of art, I'm a noob in photoshop.

I hope that elucidade more, afterall :"A picture speaks a thousand words"..

Regards,
    For the curious full disclosure

I'm another victim of own curiosity :'(

My internal antenna is broken after playing with external connector. It worked though for couple of plug ins and outs. Now it's dead, what a shame.

I'm forced to use a tiny cable in external antenna connector. To be honest the phone now behaves very strangely.
    Since I live in poor reception area I have exactly one spot on my table where I get full bars (using loudspeaker to make phone calls); other places give me minimum reception and cuts during a call.
    And now the fun part. The cable I use is 6cm long, aluminum made, 0,5mm thick or less. Since my provider allows roaming (some sort of agreement between cell networks in my country) and I have automatic network set, even though my home network should have priority, in the very same spot I had full reception before (on internal antenna) of my home carrier, right now I have none but other roaming carrier has full bars.

I know that external cable length corresponds to MHz, i.e. 1800MHz needs 16cm long cable (at least that's what I have found).
    How many MHz is 6cm antenna then? This way I can figure out on which freq my phone operates.

Thanks.

Guys: :silly:

I correct this post as I trusted a previous one regarding the right connector (I personally ordered 2 cables and realized I had ordered the wrong one). Luckily the wrong connector just will not fit

The correct connector is a Hirose but model MS-162 and not the MS-147. :silly:

Messing with tiny connectors with just a wire in such a delicate piece of electronic equipment is to say the least dangerous......

(some background I am an electronic engineer and did my fair share of electronics fiddling as a younger man..)

The connector most of you refer is actually a coaxial switch manufactured by Hirose Electronics, as correctly stated an MS-147 SO SORRY incorrect previous model, the correct connector is an MS-162 (smaller even than the MS-147). The purpose as stated in its data sheet is the following QUOTE

"The ultra-small MS-147 coaxial switch was developed for the portable terminal interface and for inspection of microwave boards (substrates) (DC – 6GHz) used at high frequencies. Designed to be used as the interface antenna connection for portable terminal devices as well as circuit testing on microwave boards (DC to 10GHz) the coaxial switch offers high performace, low loss, extremely high durability and reliability, in a small and lightweight package.

To respond to the development of portable terminal technologies and popularization of high frequency applications – up to 6GHz – this switch features low loss, low profile, and light weight.

The switch circuit is designed so that the NC terminal is connected to the C terminal without a plug mated. Mating with a plug opens this
    connection.

"

END QUOTE ;)

Reading where it states to be used for high frecuencies another acronym comes to mind KISS (Keep It Short Stupid), every high frequency design or fiddling involves short cabling, otherwise trouble comes (wavelength and distance involved), so it is not recomended to use just a wire for these purposes.

On other hand the connector is guaranteed by Hirose as able to withstand 12.000 mechanical operations !!!!!! more than enough, PROVIDED YOU USE THE RIGHT MATING CONNECTOR EITHER

MS-147MS-162-C(LP)-1 THE ONE USED BY THE AUSTRALIAN PROVIDER MENTIONED IN PAGE 2 WITH A CABLE AND FME CONNECTOR

OR MS-147MS-162-HRMJ-1 DIRECTLY MATING TO AN SMA FEMALE CONNECTOR

I would not suggest for the faint of heart or unexperienced to try to do your own cable or actually CHANGE the connector once it has been destroyed internally by inserting wires, but it can certainly be done with the right skillset, magnifying glass and special thin point solder iron.

Full details and specs can be found in the data sheet available at MOUSER ELECTRONICS, as far as I know the most complete stock in electronics components available on the web (no connection at all..) search in Mouser for Hirose MS-147MS-162

Complete data sheet in e35801505e35802083-32633.pdf at hirose japan (sorry can not paste the link)

Conclusion in order of possiblities:

1.- If you already destroyed the switch connector with a wire or wrong connector you can actually buy the part at Mouser and have it replaced, strongly suggest a cell repair shop as soldering tiny parts skills is definitely a prequisite. With this solution your phone is stock again.

2.- If you do not want to go thru that trouble I guess the pin and push preheated solder in the hole will create a permanent connection for the internal antenna to work correctly (no wire since KISS).

3.- If you have not yet destroyed the switch either get the cable from the Aussie vendor or wpsantennas (model WA-1071) in the US, and use whatever antenna you feel like connecting the FME to a yagi, omnidirectional or whatever one you have (eventually a car antenna if equipped with FME conector)

4.- If able, go buy one of the mating connectors from Mouser, use the right 50 Ohm cable and connect to whatever antenna you have, I personally will do a cable for my BMW equipped with its own antenna connector.

Hope this clarifies a bit better

p.s. FME and SMA are normal antenna connectors, will find several vendors offering antennas with either one