FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

GPS SirfIV Tool Development - Disable Static Navigation / ...

66 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By segelfreak2, Member on 29th October 2011, 09:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello
I just stumbled over this document: micro-modular.com/docs/AddlRsrc/GSD4e OSP Manual (CS-129291-DC-9).pdf

So, for example on site 119 for example you can see that it is possible to disable the static navigation filter by sending the corresponding Payload Sequence to the SirfIV chipset. The only question which remains is "how can we send these strings to the chipset".

And this is the point where we need some really brilliant XDA developers. If someone would manage to open the communication way to the sirf IV chipset, it would be possible to reconfigure this chipset totaly free.

At the beginning it can be a really simple tool where you have to enter the Start sequence, payload and end sequence which should be send manually. This would be good enough. But the biggest part will be to find a way to communicate with the GPS chipset. Maybe someone knows some good tools to find out how to communicate with the GPS chipset.

I'm very curious on your suggestions.

Best regards,
Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to segelfreak2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift segelfreak2 Ad-Free

29th October 2011, 05:07 PM |#2  
OP Member

More
Unhappy
And here we can see what static navigation is doing with our tracks. On the right side I was running (high speed) and on the left side I was walking (slow speed). You can see that the static navigation feature freezes the track if you do not move very wide within approx. 30 seconds and releases the freeze if you moved a certain distance. This continues until you are moving at higher speeds.
To generate the tracks the original NMEA data from the SirfIV GPS chipset was dumped every second.

Because of the zoom level you can not see every timestamp, but there IS a trackpoint every second. While at higher speeds they are aligned along the track (right side) the are lying at exactly the same place during the freeze on the left track.

Best regards,
Chris
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to segelfreak2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift segelfreak2 Ad-Free
29th October 2011, 10:51 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Wink
Maybe an interesting place to search for is the file:

/system/lib/hw/gps.s5pc210.so

Inside this you will find strings like:

MI_SetStaticNav
NL_GetStaticNavMode
NL_SetStaticNavMode
NL_Get_StaticNav_Status
NL_GetStaticNavMode_NL3
NL_SetStaticNavMode_NL3
NL_StaticNav
MI_GetStaticNav
StaticNav: %s3SV
NL_SetStaticNavMode()
NL_StaticNav()

Seems to be interesting.

Best regards,
Chris
29th October 2011, 11:00 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
And for the usage of the "MI_GetStaticNav" and "MI_SetStaticNav" functions see:

read.pudn.com/downloads28/sourcecode/embed/88065/SDK%20Users%20Guide%20Part%201%20-%20Software.pdf

Page Nr. 196

Is it possible to use the functions defined within the .so file from your own programs???
30th October 2011, 03:20 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by segelfreak2

Is it possible to use the functions defined within the .so file from your own programs???

Yes, it is possible and easily done.
30th October 2011, 06:04 AM |#6  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,474

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by segelfreak2

Hello
I just stumbled over this document: micro-modular.com/docs/AddlRsrc/GSD4e OSP Manual (CS-129291-DC-9).pdf

So, for example on site 119 for example you can see that it is possible to disable the static navigation filter by sending the corresponding Payload Sequence to the SirfIV chipset. The only question which remains is "how can we send these strings to the chipset".

And this is the point where we need some really brilliant XDA developers. If someone would manage to open the communication way to the sirf IV chipset, it would be possible to reconfigure this chipset totaly free.

At the beginning it can be a really simple tool where you have to enter the Start sequence, payload and end sequence which should be send manually. This would be good enough. But the biggest part will be to find a way to communicate with the GPS chipset. Maybe someone knows some good tools to find out how to communicate with the GPS chipset.

I'm very curious on your suggestions.

Best regards,
Chris

Not Applicable.

The GS2 has a GSD4t, not a GSD4e. It's the "crippled" version of the Star IV that uses the host processor to do all the work.
30th October 2011, 09:46 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Not Applicable.

The GS2 has a GSD4t, not a GSD4e. It's the "crippled" version of the Star IV that uses the host processor to do all the work.

Hello Entropy512,
thank you for your comment. I know that the SGS2 has a GSD4t unit. But despite the document is named GSD4e OSP Manual... it is also applicable to the GSD4t version. So it is written in the document. And as I posted, there is a .so file who has all these functions in it. We just need to use it. And I think that the functions provided within gps.s5pc210.so are really worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobahn

Yes, it is possible and easily done.

Hello aerobahn,
many thanks also to you for your input. Your answer sounds great in my ears . I think it should be worth a try if it is really so easy to use functions defined within a .so library file. I do not have any experience in programming for android, but if someone who has would try it I would appreciate that. Because without static navigation the SGS2 would be a very good GPS logger too. And this can be somtimes very valuable, for geocaching, hiking tours, even low speed navigation...

Best regards,
Chris
9th November 2011, 02:12 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
No one who wants to try? Please. If you succeed I'm willing to honor your effort.
9th November 2011, 02:16 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have no programming skills at all but i am able to test whatever lib is generated

I can test daily in a 30 Km path (and 30 Km back).
25th December 2011, 08:56 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
segelfreak2, what you really want is to enable satic navigation and not disable it, as it is already disabled by Samsung. Static navigation disabled means filtering is ON. Static navigation enabled means filtering OFF. It is a common misconception.

Nevertheless, I have developed a tool called GPS Control for SGS2. You can check it out on market. It does exactly what you need. Just remember to reboot after changing Static Navigation config. It requires root access and works only on I9100.

You are welcome to propose any additions you might want in future versions.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to steffato For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steffato Ad-Free
25th December 2011, 09:38 AM |#11  
Flag Ostwestfalen
Thanks Meter: 22

More
The app doesn't work with CM7. I'd like to know if static navigation is enabled in CM7 by default.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
configuration, gps, gsd4t, sirfiv, static navigation

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)