This guide is for rooted phones, and all work on my galaxy s2 but should work with most phones.
So you have decided to go for a new rom, but are worried about loosing all your apps, game saves, data, contacts, sms etc.. Well here is my little guide to restoring most of it. (Why only most, well moving to a new rom means that some apps and data are not compatible). We are going to break it down into apps to use and then the process.
Install App Extractor after you have flashed your new rom
Just a note all software that uses access the root of your phone can come with problems, although i have not experienced them my self it can still happen.
1. Rom Manager
Must have app for any root user. Make backups, flash ROMs, and own your device.
ROM Manager is THE MUST HAVE APP for any Android root user. (Over 3 million downloads and counting!)
(You can back up your rom through recover boot)
2. Titanium Backup root
Titanium Backup is the most powerful backup tool on Android, and then some.
You can backup, restore, freeze (with Pro) your apps + data + Market links. This includes all protected apps & system apps, plus external data on your SD card. You can do 0-click batch & scheduled backups. Backups will operate without closing any apps (with Pro). You can move any app (or app data) to/from the SD card. You can browse any app's data and even query the Market to see detailed information about the app.
3. App Extractor
AppExtractor is a tool which will allow you to restore individual applications, data, SMS, and MMS messages from your ROM Manager backups.
AppExtractor is compatible with ClockworkMod Recovery 5 backups as well as backups created by previous versions of ClockworkMod Recovery.
1. Ok the process. First you will need to backup your whole rom, so go into Rom Manager and click on backup current rom, once it have backed up your rom you phone will reboot. ( Backing up your rom means you can revert back to it if you are not happy with your new rom)
a. You can also do a full rom backup straight from recovery mode (safer), to do this boot into recovery mode (hold - power,home and volume up). Then use the volume buttons to scroll to backup and restore (press power button to select), then click backup, it should start a full back up of your rom for you (2-3 mins to back up), once it has finished click reboot system now. Done - Thanks to MistahBungle for prompting this edit
2. once you have done that go into Titanium Backup and click menu and go into Batch. Then click on Run for Backup all user apps (dont back up system data we will soft that out later), then click run batch operation.
3. You can now flash your new rom, i am not going to tell you how to that.
4. Once your new rom is up and running then it is time to receive all that data, apps, setting, contacts etc.
5. First go to the android market and download Titanium backup and App recovery again
6. now open Titanium Backup and go back into Batch scroll down to restore and click run on restore missing apps with data. ( not all the apps will download as some won't be compatible). There you go most of your apps are now restored with their original data
7. Now go to App Extractor and open that, you will see the choice to restore things like, apps, sms and mms, contacts, wifi etc. Just click which ever you want to restore and then select the correct back up (the one you made with rom manager). You can only restore 5 items a day, and yet again not all you setting and data can be restored because of the different rom types.
8. Enjoy your new rom
If anyone thinks i have missed anything ir has more they would like to add then let me know.
Backing up EFS folder
Ok so backing up your efs folder, i am not expert in this area but everyone should know that this file is very important and rooting and flashing roms could cause it to become corrupt. So the fix trying to keep it as simple as possible like the rest of the guide, you need to download Ktook by Hellcatdroid here is a little somthing from Google Play - Tool for a few functions after rooting. Kernel dump/flash, EFS backup/restore...
/!\ Requires Root /!\
/!\ Works on the >Galaxy S2< and >Galaxy Note< *ONLY* /!\
(i) the "lock pattern bug" is currently being investigated and worked on!
kTool is a small tool originally bundled with Hellcat's Root-Kernel for the Galaxy S2.
It offers a few functions usefull after rooting the device:
- Dump current kernel to /sdcard/zImage
- Flash kernel from /sdcard/zImage
- Backup the phone's EFS (sensitive storage are holding the IMEI and other vital data) as a raw .IMG dump and a .tar archive
- Restoring EFS from the raw .IMG or the .tar backup
- Format EFS (create fresh filesystem for cases where you want to restore seperate files or a .tar backup, but the filesystem is stuck/locked in read-only due to corruption)
- Reboot (normal, directely to recovery or directely to downlaod mode)
If you encounter any problems or issues, or if you have any questions or suggestions, visit the release thread on XDA
Some people don't like this app and some like myself love it, as it says above it will only work on Galaxy S2< and >Galaxy Note, but if you check out the thread it might work for other devices.
Backdrop Root - BackDrop Root allows you to backup and restore your applications, data, SMS / MMS messages, Wifi settings, Bluetooth pairings, and more to and from from Dropbox.
Backdrop Root provides a simple and intuitive interface for managing your backups.
The free version of BackDrop Root will let you backup and restore 5 applications / data backups at a time.
Thanks - albsat
Nandroid Browser - Nandroid Browser has a really simple purpose: Extract and use single files from your nandroid backups.
* Browse your nandroid backups
* Save files anywhere
* Send files
* Open Files
Rom Toolbox - ROM Toolbox is the MUST HAVE app for any rooted user. Easily email single apps and files from your nandroid backups or send them to your dropbox or wherever...
ROM Toolbox combines all the great root apps all tied up into one monster app with a beautiful and user-friendly interface. It also adds many more unseen features!
This app requires root permission. For fast and friendly support please email us at [email protected]. We will be glad to help answer your questions and troubleshoot with you.
Some of the extra features in the pro version:
☆ Backup/restore data
☆ Batch operations enabled
☆ Remove ads
☆ Preview boot animations
☆ Customize your status bar by installing battery, 4g/3g/1x, wifi, gps, signal icons.
☆ Advanced app freezer
☆ Remove ads
☆ Unlock Root Browser features
☆ Much More....