FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to replace a scratched camera

56 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By Dashers, Member on 24th December 2011, 10:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So not that long after getting a SGS2 at launch I managed to get the camera lens scratched. Pictures became fuzzy and useless. I guess some dirt got caught between my desk and the lens and upon nudging my phone the scratch appeared. I have since received follow up scratches further compounding the issue.

So ladies and gentlemen, as I could not find much help on the subject, I present a quick guide to fixing said problem.

Polish - didn't work. I then discovered that the camera is covered by a protective screen which is integrated with the case. So... flea-bay, a Hong Kong distributor of replacement Samsung Galaxy S2 Housings and ten quid later I am presented with a new case.

1. Clear some space and give it a wipe down, don't want any more scratches eh?

2. Prepare your new back plate by cutting up a screen-protector and putting it over the camera lens. I'm going to redo mine at some point, but it will do for now:

3. Turn off and remove the usual gubbins from your phone (battery, sim, sd)

4. Using a precision cross-head screwdriver, unscrew the five screws on the rear of the phone. Use a small magnet to lift them from their resting position and put them somewhere safe (preferably in a layout you remember for their return trip).

5. The tricky bit is always separating the case. Do not be tempted to ram a screw driver down the side and twist, this will just mess up the case. I just used my finger nails and worked it free.

The top is the least resistive and easiest to get your nail in. Work the top loose and then work down each side a bit at a time. You can use your new case as a guide for where the clips are. Be careful not to snap the clips at the bottom of the phone. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't break anything, and if I can do it, anybody can.

6. You'll notice a couple of things different - strangely, I had an extra electrical connector at the top of my phone, no adverse effects yet.

The speaker system (and probably some other stuff) is embedded in the lower part of the phone.

A precision flat-head screwdriver gently levered on the left will unclip the left side. For the right side pop your screwdriver in from the other side where the battery cover clips into. The speaker part should just pop out.

Mine came out sans-grille. This isn't glued onto the case, so should just lift off, place back onto the speaker component before inserting into your new device.

7. Remove the protective sticker from the inside of the lens screen.

8. Pop the new back onto your phone, starting at the bottom and working your way up the sides evenly.

11. Replace screws, don't over tighten as you may break the plastic threads. Screw lightly anti-clockwise first and you'll feel the thread line up, this reduces the chances of you getting your thread crossed and wrecking it.

10. Remove the button support stickers and other protective coverings

11. Reinstall your gubbins and power up!

12. Snap away

Hope this helps.

Dash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scratched.jpg
Views:	18662
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	828606   Click image for larger version

Name:	bust-crop.jpg
Views:	18476
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	828609   Click image for larger version

Name:	fixed-crop.jpg
Views:	18515
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	828610   Click image for larger version

Name:	lens-cover.jpg
Views:	18620
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	828618   Click image for larger version

Name:	transplant.jpg
Views:	18522
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	828623   Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker.jpg
Views:	18509
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	828628  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dashers For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dashers Ad-Free

24th December 2011, 10:50 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 109

More
A great guide, maybe I'll use it one day. The only thing i find strange is that i even have a slightly bigger scratch along the lens protection, yet my pictures still look good...
27th December 2011, 10:15 AM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

More
If you look closely at the first image you'll see faint scratches over the centre of the lens. The big one on the edge I don't think has an impact. It took me ages of peering in bright sunlight to spot them.
15th October 2012, 11:34 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 128

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashers

If you look closely at the first image you'll see faint scratches over the centre of the lens. The big one on the edge I don't think has an impact. It took me ages of peering in bright sunlight to spot them.

Sorry to bump this. This thread is interesting as, upon the first day I got this phone I realized that the place the camera is in seems to be an easy target for scratches. I mean, the camera and flash glasses are ridiculously exposed and when you put the phone on any surface it is actually laying directly over them. So, I was wondering, is there any way to protect the camera? I guess a screen protector would ruin picture quality, right?
16th October 2012, 06:45 AM |#5  
Flag Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 62

More
i wld agree that yes, even with just resting the phone on table with time YOU WILL get some minor scratches.
Dident compromize my camera quality (yet) but i was affraid in time it will.

So i did what OP did-with screen protector i had spare.
I was not in a need to replace anything so i just cut small cube-shape of protector (thin,dare i say cheap one will work best, not some fancy,thick or reflective protector)
and then i just sticked it well outside the camera lens and put case back on. You cannot see it tbh and no picture quality decrease
16th October 2012, 04:08 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 197

More
So I cut square protective folie and put it on the camera glass... but what about glue which comes with protector folie? There are un-glue protectors but I am not sure the will snap to such small area at all....

Really pictures quality didn't decrease?
16th October 2012, 05:09 PM |#7  
Flag Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 62

More
not at all.
although,my protector was sticky by itself i quess i wld suggest you do the same

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
25th October 2012, 05:25 AM |#8  
Flag Loveland
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Im saving this thread for when I scratch mine!
10th February 2013, 06:10 AM |#9  
Flag Mare d'Albert
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Re: [GUIDE] How to replace a scratched camera
I am going forward to order new housing.

I will follow this guide then !

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
10th February 2013, 06:27 AM |#10  
Flag Noida
Thanks Meter: 505

More
great tutorial it should be sticky !!
10th February 2013, 12:33 PM |#11  
Flag Goa\Kuwait
Thanks Meter: 19

More
I just got mine today and will do this swap later today! Checked the case out looks good, looked at the camera lens area and found scratches! Bugged me out that! Turns out there is a plastic covering over it

I got a black s2 which I've polished the chrome bezel off, to make it black and scrubbed the whole back casing to give it that matte finish, I ordered for a white one now to give it that contrasting 'Oreo cookie' look

Will post pics when done, wish me luck and pray I don't break anything!

UPDATE:

Well I managed to sucessfully do the swap and I must say this device looks killer this way! I am in love with it! The grip seems to have suffered a bit and t (Glossy vs textured) there were some difference between the original and the one I got (a cheap one but fits perfect with good finish) but nothing seems any different function wise.

Sorry for the horrible quality pics as I only had my Nexus 7 with me (Clicking pics with the ffc is a pain) I'll try to get high res images if anyone wants to see...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130210_183456.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1718171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130210_183448.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	1718173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130210_183207.jpg
Views:	473