FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Get Maximum Battery Out of Stock JellyBean ROM (plus fix Media draining much battery)

2,738 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,898

Post Reply Email Thread
Personally have been experiencing HUGE challenges regarding battery life of JB. and i have searched and searched, complained and complained in many xda threads. But in the end, i think this method is the best I figured out and it works pretty well!

I discovered the main cause of battery drain on JB is the 'Media Scanner'. I dont know exactly what the issue is, but it DRAINS your battery! I thought it was a corrupt file in my phone that was causing Media scanner to get stuck and scan for loong periods instead of 2 - 3 minutes which it should take regularly. (btw media scanner is launched every time you restart your mobo or make changes to your media files as far as i know). I formatted both my Internal and External SDs but it still didnt help. Now use the following Steps below to solve these issues.

1. Download Media scanner ROOT.

This app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nnerroot&hl=en

2. Download Media scanner also

This one - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...z.mediascanner

3. Always set 'Power saving' option on phone on. I can assure you that you'll hardly notice the difference in performance when you turn on power saving.

Having said that, if you want more brightness, you can increase from toggle or just tick auto by the side of brightness level settings right there in your notification bar.

Also, if you need to game or use heavy app that require alot of system resources, just turn off power saving.(Because power saving slows down your processors Maximum state from 1200MHz or 1.2GHz to 800MHz.)

How to use the apps mentioned in numbers 1 and 2.

First one is to stop it (Media scanner) from ever scanning. So open that one with ROOT at the end of the name (Grant SU prompt), then hit disable media scanner button wait for it to work. Just one or two seconds.

Sometimes you might open your gallery and notice a file is missing or you might not see even a single picture or vid in it.

ONLY NOW! can you open the second app dat DOESN'T contain ROOT at the end of its name.

Just open it and then hit the back button to close. thats all!

What this does if to call the media scanner you disabled earlier with first app so it can scan your SD Cards and your gallery will display your files.

You can read the application descriptions on Play store for better understanding.

If you notice that these steps still doesn't help you with your battery drain issue, try disabling Motions and Animations in debugging options too. Both in settings. Then test battery again and see how good it works.

IMPORTANT: You also want to change PhilZ recovery Backup format from .dup to .tar as this might be the reason why Media scanner goes crazy. How to - Reboot into recovery, select Backup and restore, then select 'Choose backup format', then hit tar. Now delete all previous backups done in .dup format and then hit 'Free Unused backup Data' or go into phone, delete the folders of the backups done in .dup and then delete evreything in blobs folder. Now do a fresh Nandroid which will now be in .tar format. ( Always Have a Nandroid backup on your phone , it can come in handy! )

REMEMBER: What works for one person, might not exactly work for everyone. We don't have 100% same hardware. . So take it easy while throwing your shots at me. I just decided to share this.

I hope this helps some solve their battery issue.

Please hit thanks if this helps you.
The Following 50 Users Say Thank You to stanley08 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stanley08 Ad-Free

25th November 2012, 01:06 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lagos, Nigeria.

Donate to Me
More
Attached screenshots of my test from steps in first post. :D
ROM! is The SWEET SMOOTH NEAT ROM LITE v4.0

Here are the details of the screenshots i attached to this post, just incase you can't go through all of them.

1. Battery at 97%.
98% (3:05:20) deep sleep after 3h:08m:49s (total time on batt3)

2. Battery at 95%
97% (5:58:26) deep sleep after 6h:07m:18s (total time on batt3)

Had major whatsapp activity in the backgroud (I always have )

3. Battery at 70% - 12:59pm
Screen time - 2h 4m 10s

4. Battery at 50% - 2:30pm
Screen time - 3h 17m 38s

5. Battery at 40% - 3:06pm
Screen time - 3h 53m 12s

6. Battery at 30% - 3:48pm
Screen time - 4h 33m 27s

7. Battery at 20% - 4:27pm
Screen time - 5h 12m 20s

8. Battery at 10% - 5:03pm
Screen time - 5h 48m 21s

9. Battery at 1% - 5:31pm
Screen time - 6h 15m 19s

Also to achieve this, i had all bloatware frozen (full list in my S2 Facebook group - Link in my signature)
Turned Off Sync, and motion (really dont know if this affected result since i guess you need to use the motion,
for it to use up your battery).

Anyways, having said all these, i had running in background, facebook messenger, whatsapp, email pushing hourly,
Instagram. Did some surfing using Opera mini from time to time, Watched Videos... and some other stuff i cant remember of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-25-04-13-22.jpg
Views:	6912
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1510234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-25-07-11-51.jpg
Views:	6324
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1510235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-25-12-59-05.jpg
Views:	6138
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1510236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-25-14-30-37.jpg
Views:	5818
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1510237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-25-15-06-35.jpg
Views:	5589
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1510253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-25-15-48-32.jpg
Views:	5330
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1510254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-25-16-27-28.jpg
Views:	5251
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1510255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-25-17-03-52.jpg
Views:	5239
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1510256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-25-17-31-09.jpg
Views:	5522
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1510261  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to stanley08 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stanley08 Ad-Free
25th November 2012, 01:33 PM |#3  
Flag Brasília
Thanks Meter: 1,203

More
The fact that Power Saving does not slow down the phone like older builds is strange.
I don't even know if it works that well yet.
I mean, I used Power Saving on my friends S3 and the phone got really slow.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaKTaiL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MaKTaiL Ad-Free
25th November 2012, 01:41 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 115

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley08

Personally have been experiencing HUGE challenges regarding battery life of JB. and i have searched and searched, complained and complained in many xda threads. But in the end, i think this method is the best I figured out and it works pretty well!

I discovered the main cause of battery drain on JB is the 'Media Scanner'. I dont know exactly what the issue is, but it DRAINS your battery! I thought it was a corrupt file in my phone that was causing Media scanner to get stuck and scan for loong periods instead of 2 - 3 minutes which it should take regularly. (btw media scanner is launched every time you restart your mobo or make changes to your media files as far as i know). I formatted both my Internal and External SDs but it still didnt help. Now use the following Steps below to solve these issues.

1. Download Media scanner ROOT.

This app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nnerroot&hl=en

2. Download Media scanner also

This one - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...z.mediascanner

3. Always set 'Power saving' option on phone on. I can assure you that you'll hardly notice the difference in performance when you turn on power saving.

Having said that, if you want more brightness, you can increase from toggle or just tick auto by the side of brightness level settings right there in your notification bar.

Also, if you need to game or use heavy app that require alot of system resources, just turn off power saving.(Because power saving slows down your processors Maximum state from 1200MHz or 1.2GHz to 800MHz.)

How to use the apps mentioned in numbers 1 and 2.

First one is to stop it (Media scanner) from ever scanning. So open that one with ROOT at the end of the name (Grant SU prompt), then hit disable media scanner button wait for it to work. Just one or two seconds.

Sometimes you might open your gallery and notice a file is missing or you might not see even a single picture or vid in it.

ONLY NOW! can you open the second app dat DOESN'T contain ROOT at the end of its name.

Just open it and then hit the back button to close. thats all!

What this does if to call the media scanner you disabled earlier with first app so it can scan your SD Cards and your gallery will display your files.

You can read the application descriptions on Play store for better understanding.

If you notice that these steps still doesn't help you with your battery drain issue, try disabling Motions and Animations in debugging options too. Both in settings. Then test battery again and see how good it works.

REMEMBER: What works for one person, might not exactly work for everyone. We don't have 100% same hardware. .So take it easy while throwing your shots at me. I just decided to share this.

I hope this helps some solve their battery issue.

Any idea why the set back bottom becomes hot when I use 3G ? Need a solution desperately

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
25th November 2012, 02:22 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lagos, Nigeria.

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conceptunlimited

Any idea why the set back bottom becomes hot when I use 3G ? Need a solution desperately

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Its normal for your mobile to get hot using 3G. But wat you can do right now is use lowest brightness possible. And flashing a different modem can solve. Did in ICS.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium.

Please hit thanks if I helped you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stanley08 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stanley08 Ad-Free
25th November 2012, 02:22 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lagos, Nigeria.

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKTaiL

The fact that Power Saving does not slow down the phone like older builds is strange.

Amazes me too... But what can I say?! More for us! Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium.

Please hit thanks if I helped you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stanley08 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stanley08 Ad-Free
25th November 2012, 05:25 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKTaiL

Yup, when i first tried my friend S3 i was amazed at how slow it got if you turned on this option, doesn't happen in s2 JB which is strange, however i will try this 3 things to see if battery life does increase.
25th November 2012, 06:07 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lagos, Nigeria.

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driss97

Yup, when i first tried my friend S3 i was amazed at how slow it got if you turned on this option, doesn't happen in s2 JB which is strange, however i will try this 3 things to see if battery life does increase.

Yh. Power Saving on ICS was so laggy too!
The Following User Says Thank You to stanley08 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stanley08 Ad-Free
26th November 2012, 05:21 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lagos, Nigeria.

Donate to Me
More
up.
The Following User Says Thank You to stanley08 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stanley08 Ad-Free
26th November 2012, 10:37 AM |#10  
Flag Wassenaar
Thanks Meter: 1,910

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley08

up.

Wow, really? Upping your own thread which contains, with all due respect, nothing new anyway?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pfeffernuss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pfeffernuss Ad-Free
26th November 2012, 11:36 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lagos, Nigeria.

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeffernuss

Wow, really? Upping your own thread which contains, with all due respect, nothing new anyway?

It happens! And yh, i edited post 1 and 2.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)