*OFFICIAL*-KG5 and KG7 2.3.4 Released - Thoughts and Reviews (Download links too!)

Search This thread

polyconvex

Aug 4, 2011
I am from Germany and have been using the leaked XXKG3 firmware for some time now (with DBT CSC, which is included). I updated to XXKG5 today and noticed much more random rebooting than in KG3. Almost every 5 minutes or so there is a reboot in KG5. Also the GPS doesn't work at all in KG5. I have gone back to KG3 for the time being.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

jerome.d

May 4, 2011
Melbourne
Which FW did you dl? I'm on KG5 and if I hit the home key it wakes up instantly.

When you do that, is your phone plugged in with the usb cable? When the phone is plugged in, there is no wake up lag (since every firmware I can remember of), but when the phone is not plugged in, it seems to go in deeper sleep and hence takes a little bit more time to wake up.

EDIT: ok, sorry, already mentioned elsewhere in the thread...

cribeiro

Sep 4, 2006
KG1 vs KG5 or KG6

If KG1 (I am using from it appeared) has all apps working practically perfect (has SIP VOIP, Gtalk has video, default browser has flash player, no Force Close, no significant lag in wake up with battery, good battery life, etc),

Please give your opinion why to move to KG5 or KG6 whose have no SIP VOIP and about lag and default browser flash player, some posts mention some doubts.

Thanks

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
This is just silly now (read post above this). Samsung needs 6 releases (4 leaks and 2 official) and almost 4 months to take away features given to us by google for free. Explanation that the operators in respective countries might have objected does not apply when we are talking about unlocked and unbranded devices. With no changelog, nothing seemimgly fixed or addressed.

We really need a poll that will serve as a petition for all issues and vote to decide urgency of demanded fixes to be sent out to samsung directly or via their facebook accounts.

It worked before for number of issue's.

And we can not wait too long either lest we repeat the episode with omnia HD (by the time petition was passed to Samsung the phone was deemed obsolete and abandoned and most issues were brushed asside as too expensive and not worth fixing) and get on top of it while the phone is still hot.

And no, I do not plan to sell my phone so perfectly satisfied people need not comment on this post in that manner.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
This is just silly now (read post above this). Samsung needs 6 releases (4 leaks and 2 official) and almost 4 months to take away features given to us by google for free. Explanation that the operators in respective countries might have objected does not apply when we are talking about unlocked and unbranded devices. With no changelog, nothing seemimgly fixed or addressed.

We really need a poll that will serve as a petition for all issues and vote to decide urgency of demanded fixes to be sent out to samsung directly or via their facebook accounts.

It worked before for number of issue's.

And we can not wait too long either lest we repeat the episode with omnia HD (by the time petition was passed to Samsung the phone was deemed obsolete and abandoned and most issues were brushed asside as too expensive and not worth fixing) and get on top of it while the phone is still hot.

And no, I do not plan to sell my phone so perfectly satisfied people need not comment on this post in that manner.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Let's have some fun with this. I'll pretend to be from Samsung and just received your complaints above in the form of a letter.

Here's my response:

Dear Mr. Idan73,

Thank you for taking the time to write Samsung, we value our customers. As I understand your complaint, you're saying that updates issued subsequent to the purchase of your phone don't contain features that you would like to see provided. Further, you've somehow come in to possession of software not intended for your phone that you claim was produced by Samsung and has some of the features you describe. You haven't mentioned previously available features of the software included with your phone being removed as updates have been issued so I'll assume all the standard features that existed at the time of purchase are intact.

1) From time to time, Samsung issues updates to our phones in order to ensure they are operating efficiently and securely. As stated in our warranty, we are under no obligation to provide additional features other than those available at time of purchase.

2) Samsung sells phones worldwide and certain countries and regions have specific software that might include features not provided on your phone at the time of purchase. We do however insure that software included at the time of purchase is supported on all of our phones through the product's end-of-life. Some regional versions of the phone may include features not present on your phone at the time of purchase or may be added subsequently.

3) Software not specifically and officially released by Samsung for a specific phone and installed via one of our official update mechanisms is considered grey market. The features, behavior, and specifications of this type of software, no matter how it is obtained, is not Samsung's responsibility and use of this software could void your phone's warranty.

I'll certainly pass your enhancement requests on to our product managers for consideration for potential future enhancements. Again, thank you for being a Samsung customer.

Thanks,

Samsung

;)

Reactions: Croak

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
if you reread my first paragraph is just a general comment on the state of samsung updates and not a feature request.

the poll is regarding real or imaginary issues that plague this phone and have not being addressed since phones release and should have been or should be. i hope you dont suggest that if you buy a faulty or substandard (unless you consider 6 million phones with yellow and dark left side or gradient bug or aos bug a new standard cause they all have it or stop advertising it as best screen on the market or ....) of product of any type youre not entitled to complain because you bought it as such???. remember little episode with toyota recently, not that im implying that this is on the same level of the urgency as cars that speed up instead of braking???
but who needs samsung when we have you.

thanks for being samsung! you even sounded like their generic email response.

talk about futility!

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
if you reread my first paragraph is just a general comment on the state of samsung updates and not a feature request.

the poll is regarding real or imaginary issues that plague this phone and have not being addressed since phones release and should have been or should be. i hope you dont suggest that if you buy a faulty or substandard (unless you consider 6 million phones with yellow and dark left side or gradient bug or aos bug a new standard cause they all have it or stop advertising it as best screen on the market or ....) of product of any type youre not entitled to complain because you bought it as such???

thanks for being samsung!

So there's 5,999,999 idiots and you're the only one that realizes we're all using a faulty and substandard product?

kitch9

Feb 12, 2010

the poll is regarding real or imaginary issues that plague this phone and have not being addressed since phones release and should have been or should be. i hope you dont suggest that if you buy a faulty or substandard (unless you consider 6 million phones with yellow and dark left side or gradient bug or aos bug a new standard cause they all have it or stop advertising it as best screen on the market or ....) of product of any type youre not entitled to complain because you bought it as such???. remember little episode with toyota recently, not that im implying that this is on the same level of the urgency as cars that speed up instead of braking???

thanks for being samsung! you even sounded like their generic email response.

talk about futility!

There's always one who brings the LOL hyperbole......

godutch

Jun 29, 2009
www.burgerforumeu.nl
1) From time to time, Samsung issues updates to our phones in order to ensure they are operating efficiently and securely. As stated in our warranty, we are under no obligation to provide additional features other than those available at time of purchase.
This is not really true, Samsung signed the android update policy saying it will update devices to the latest version of android (if hardware permits it)

Jake-CT

Jul 27, 2011
For me, KG3 seems to be the best of the bunch (video chat enabled, which was one of the main features of 2.3.4).

Two questions:

1. If I go back from kg6 will I need a factory reset.
2. There must be problems with kg3 I did not have chance to experience - what were they - or does it seem like samsung literally pulled the video feature out for an official release??

bracketb4d

Jul 18, 2011
Hi, i have some confusion. what is the difference.between the Roms here and the Roms that Intratech posts in his Official rom thread in the dev section ? arent both official stock firmware and both include KG5 and kg7 ? are they for diff phone versions ?

Also reading people say kg5 is better than kg7, isnt it usually the higher number that is newer and better :)

sicopat

Oct 21, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S20
Please, did someone tried to download attached files from xda using stock KG5 browser ? I always have download error ... :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

sicopat

Oct 21, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hi, i have some confusion. what is the difference.between the Roms here and the Roms that Intratech posts in his Official rom thread in the dev section ? arent both official stock firmware and both include KG5 and kg7 ? are they for diff phone versions ?

Also reading people say kg5 is better than kg7, isnt it usually the higher number that is newer and better :)

Not always the bigest the better ... ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
This is not really true, Samsung signed the android update policy saying it will update devices to the latest version of android (if hardware permits it)

And by latest version according to some it implies changing the number from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 only minus everything else because that is what came with the phone originally and that is all you are entitled to.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Poland - I9100XXKG5/I9100OXAKG5/I9100XXKG5/I9100XXKG5 Build date 27/07/2011
    Trinidad And Tobago - I9100UHKG7/I9100UUBKG6/I9100UHKG4/I9100UHKG7

Kies has released an official version of 2.3.4 KG5 and KG7.

OFFICIAL ROMS:

Official KG5 XEO POLAND 2.3.4 NON WIPE (simply unzip and then flash with ODIN - PDA and all normal precautions!)

http://www.multiupload.com/R9H5A5DOWW

Official KG7 TTT Trinidad And Tobago 2.3.4 NON WIPE (simply unzip and then flash with ODIN - PDA and all normal precautions!)

http://www.multiupload.com/F1BHNSAX3L

KERNELS:

Thanks to intratech post 28 for the following links:

Stock XXKG5 Kernel: http://www.multiupload.com/VB3V2ZZ4GW

Password: intratech@XDA

Stock UHKG7 Kernel: http://www.multiupload.com/NU4TIWYETE

Password: intratech@XDA
    While this response raises several good points, it should be remembered that one of the objectives of GSM is interoperability among different locales. When residents of Trinidad&Tobago, Venezuela and the Dominican Republic travel to Brazil, they change their SIM cards, not their ROMs.

In particular, I have been using a UHK (Chilean?) PDA and radio with a T&T CSC in the USA with AT&T for a couple of months. And the only thing that happened so far was a stock market crash.

We can not forget that the baseband manages more than just the GSM signal. If someone uses the phone only to make and receive calls (unusual nowadays), there is no reason to worry about the baseband.

If we forget about GSM (2G) and start to think about UMTS (3G), then the problem comes up. Like you said before, you can travel and stick to your phone (completely true when your are talking about calls). But if your destination country uses different frequencies for UMTS/HSPA you will have only 2G data (EDGE) and I'm pretty sure that someone have paid 800 bulks on a mobile phone won't be happy with 10Kbps transfer rate.

Sometimes, even inside the same country we have different frequencies depending which operator you use. I switched from operator once because of this.

UMTS frequency table here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

In a general way:
    Europe: 900 e 2100 MHz
    United States: 850 e 1900 MHz
    Brazil: 850 e 2100 MHz

It's exactly because of this kind of stuff that we have threads like this:
    http://android.modaco.com/topic/335494-18-jul-smartflash-stock-baseband-release-103521-20110622/
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1131950
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1133527

You will find ppl saying that baseband Y it's amazing, and someone referring to the same baseband saying "doest work on UK Vodafone". Et cetera.
    every update from crapsung still the same and no changes,whats the freaking point buying a very expensive phone and they never tell us about changelog,cant wait to get rid of this piece of garbage plastic and get another one wich explain to costumers whats changes they made like htc does,u can say is good and is fast but is a plastic and all they bloody did is change some numbers on firmware,and the apps still the same old ones

Oh really like HTC does? promising updates for months and when they finally deliver the update, its for developers or test reasons and you will lose warranty if flashed. Yeh thats so much better..

HTC is not what it used to be anymore really..

About the plastic.. I'm sure you knew about that from the beginning if you want a heavy and thick phone with bad reception. Buy an IPhone or go for the Sensation..

You should be happy to see so many updates, yes they are not perfect but keep in mind most of the lately released firmwares were LEAKED ones and obviously you won't get a changelog for that. You are not even supposed to use them.. Eventually they will post a changelog when the update hit's KIES in europe.

It could be alot worse, look at the guys buying LG phones after more than 6 months they still don't even have gingerbread. Hell not even their new 3D phone has gingerbread..

sorry for offtopic
    Paging from Infratech to activate his non-wipe version! :D

Kies update is non-wipe so you can update with KIES. I'm packaging it up now though. :)
    Hi, everybody. I flashed XXKG5 over XXKG6 since it was released. FACTORY RESET. Rooted with CF-Root KG6. I tell you all: my SGSII now is FLYING!!!!!!!!! XXKG5 is the best rom ive ever tryied since i bought my phone in the first day of release. Smooth than ever. Great battery power. No lags at all. Gtalk video ok (I found it here on xda). Native browser fantastic - no flash bug!! For SIP (VOIP) i have 123Voip - working great. I have about 70 app installed - all working perfect!!! I really dont understand why guys has so many problemms after updating their phones if you find ALL INFORMATIONS here on XDA FORUM. Please, READ the trheads and make your phones PERFECT ONE!!!. Thanks Developers!!!! :) I will be always here appreciating your hard work.