Permanently Fix SGS2 Echo and Digital Noise Reduction/Cancellation Problems

Search This thread

snigade

Jan 19, 2012
Solution didnt work on my SGS2

Guys,

I tried to follow the same method given by vista and toxicdust, however the echo is reduced by 70%, but hear it a bit in background... any suggestions please..

snigade

Jan 19, 2012
I used rubber to cover back side of speaker and as isolation between mic and speaker. First time the echo was completely gone however the voice was very low other side. so removed the rubber from back of speaker and replaced with thick paper, This time voice problem was resolved but got small amount of echo...

toxicdust

Jul 17, 2009
Centurion
I used rubber to cover back side of speaker and as isolation between mic and speaker. First time the echo was completely gone however the voice was very low other side. so removed the rubber from back of speaker and replaced with thick paper, This time voice problem was resolved but got small amount of echo...

Check if the rubber around the noise sensor is properly on the sensor.

The problem is definitely on the noise sensor and the speaker that you just need to isolate from one another

Its been a week now with a lot of calls and every person I talk to I ask if there are any form of echo and not one person has picked up any form of echo.

So this is definitely a permanent fix for the problem. If its not working you probably did something wrong. Follow the instructions carefully and clean it properly before putting pressure on the speaker.

xxxstar123

Sep 5, 2011
Amman
Thank you, for the guide anyway I had this problem and I return the phone back to samsong and waiting for my replacement and I will see if i still have this issue,one question what kind of screw you used to open the phone??

but this problem has been solved with i9100g i had I9100G but I replace it with I9100, because there isn't many developers going through it and not many roms nor kernels, and i faced the sound + the mic issue.

Last edited:

snigade

Jan 19, 2012
Hi Toxicdust,

Thanks for your reply. Can you share your number with me as i stay in Randburg. May be i can discuss with you on fix.

Reactions: ballmead

jr866gooner

Jun 24, 2011
Suffolk
Hmm did you use just one piece of card or double up two? Also did you have it covering only that square? Maybe my card needed to be bigger covering a greater area...

sent from t'internet

manmad

Apr 30, 2011
Alken
Hmm did you use just one piece of card or double up two? Also did you have it covering only that square? Maybe my card needed to be bigger covering a greater area...

sent from t'internet

One piece covering the whole nick. Not sure if it's same size or not. Maybe it moved while you closed your phone?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

toxicdust

Jul 17, 2009
Centurion
One piece covering the whole nick. Not sure if it's same size or not. Maybe it moved while you closed your phone?

Ye I think that's what's happening in most cases. When they close the phone the cardboard moves and it don't help then.

The other thing is that people use paper that's 0.1 mm thick and wonder why its not working.

Folding paper 2 to 3 times wont help. You need a solid 0.5mm to 1mm thick piece of solid hard paper.

Thanks for everyone who have commented on this section to acknowledge that this works. I appreciate it :)

oeggo

Dec 9, 2011
I will definitely try this today and see what happens, I only get echo with my case on. Let me tell you i have used a workaround that i found on the internet, you only cover the mic hole next to the earphone jack with tape a it will stop the echo, but you will have to be always checking that the tape is covering perfectly the hole, and even like that some times you get randoms echo, but just only for short seconds.

I will try today your method because i really want a permanet solution. Will post back after I try

vitsa

Oct 11, 2011
I have made some useful picture pls check it - hopefully this will help to stop echo...

By the way some guys going to use balloons. Balloons made from LATEX!!! Do not use it! Latex can be destroyed during year or two.
Also do not use latex gloves & other latex products :)

Better slice by sharp blade thin piece from some rubber washer or other "LONG LIFE" rubber.

Only rubber (or paper) over speaker does not help on most cases.

Also pay attention that original rubber that covers the microphones (upper & lower) it should be fit tight!!! (I describe it on my picture)

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:

i1allz

Oct 31, 2011
HCMC
Yes, echo is gone by using 3 rubber pieces, using just 1 piece over speaker is not working, thank you all !!! ;)

vitsa

Oct 11, 2011
It is really pleasure to heart that my method become useful for somebody thankfully to toxicdust.

oeggo

Dec 9, 2011
I tried yesterday all the methods described on this thread, and to my frustration the echo refused to go away, when i was ready to give up and after three failed attempts, i opened my phone one last time to take out every piece of rubber.... and then I noticed something was wrong with the original rubber that covers the noise reduction microphone, it did not fit tight, i checked it and notice the opening that cover the noise reduction microphone was not big enough for the actual microphone to fit in completely, so I opened it just enough for it to fit tight, I took all my rubbers out and to my joy it did work. I have been testing the phone the hole day and have had no eco at all. So for those of you that the previous methods haven't worked try this , maybe you are lucky as was I :D
Good luck to everybody.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All

I spent the last 2 days trying to find a simple solution to this problem. Even though my phone is still under manufacturers warranty and Service Providers warranty I decided to just do this as working carefully there will be no indication that the phone has been opened or the "fix" has been applied

I for one couldn't take my phone to a service centre as they would have booked in my phone and gave me some Nokia 3100 knock-off budget phone for one and the repair would have taken 21 days and having business requirements that my phone needs to meet I decided to just do it myself.

So I decided to open it up myself and fix it and here is the guide on how to permanently fix the echo that people get when phoning you.

Problem:
    When you receive or make a call people on the other end of the line hear a echo of themselves and this might be intermittent but seem to be worse when having any type of cover on the phone.

Reason:
    The reason this occurs is because the speaker depicted in the 3rd photo labelled as "B" has a rubber seal at the bottom of it that has gone loose from the casing by either a drop or some vibration that is making the speaker's sound go into the phone and picked up by the NC (Noise cancellation) microphone shown in the same photo as "A" rather than be isolated and out the speaker hole on the front of the phone.

Fix:
    This fix is fairly simple and permanent. You only need a 5mm x 12mm piece of cardboard or think paper that is around 0.5mm thick that can be used as a buffer.

Procedure:

Step 1:
    Picture 1 Shows the phone screws that should be removed 1st depicted by round red circles. Keep the screws in the same order as you remove them as only 4 of the 7 screws have locktite on them and be sure when you replace them you put them back in the same position.

Step 2:
    Picture 1 As depicted from 1 to 6 is the easiest way to follow to unclip your back and front cover from one another to not break any of the clips. The back cover is very rugged so don't be afraid to unclip it as it is unlikely to break.

See Below Picture no1

Step 3:
    Picture 2 is how it should look like when the back cover has been removed. We will only be focused on the area in the red block called ZZ

See Below Picture no2

Step 4:
    Picture 3 shows the 2 components that's interfering with one another. "A" is the NC microphone sensor. Be sure to check that the sensor is properly inserted into the rubber sleeve covering it. "B" is the speaker and is glued with some ridiculously little amount of glue into the housing of "B" and can be lifted with a tweezers or some small object to be able to lift it out of the housing in "B"

See Below Picture no3

Step 5:
    Picture 4 Loosen the speaker by just moving it in this aspect north and south a bit until it can be lifted up. Please note the arrow as it flips the way the arrow is pointing to expose the casing it is housed in. Clean out the housing of any dirt and wipe the speaker off as well of any dirt or substance that might elevate the speaker a little bit in its housing.

Step 6:
    Picture 4 Flip the speaker back into its housing and firmly press it down so that it seats itself well in the housing. The rubber that the speaker is surrounded with should press firmly in the housing to seal it of any noise coming into the phone.

See Below Picture no4

Step 7:
    This is where you use the piece of cardboard or thick paper of 5mm x 12mm by 0.5mm thick and place it over the speaker. I recommend cutting up a business card as they are the correct thickness. When looking at Picture 4 the cardboard should be covering the whole red block as depicted by "C" and should look like Picture 5 when placed

See Below Picture no5

Step 8:
    Close up the phone and screw everything back together. The piece of cardboard or thick paper will ensure that the casing press the speaker tightly in place and keep it there without letting it leak into the phone to cause the echo effect for people calling you.

Step 9:
    Enjoy calls without any echo effect.

This is all very simple to do and my echo has gone away completely. The replacement part they are referencing to in other topics is not really the problem and has nothing to do with it. In the process of replacing that part the speaker gets loosened and removed out of the housing and upon putting the phone back together they securely glue the speaker back in place and thats why they get the same results.

If this guide helped please post and say so. The problem has no relation to software or anything other than the speaker leaking sound into the phone being picked up by the NC.

Hope this helps. My phone is working 100% without any issues.
    So I want to make some summary. If you have echo:

INSTRUCTION

0. Try to update yr phone to ANDROID 4 & check if echo is gone, if its not help go to step 1. (added on 03 May 2012)

1. Prepare tools as on picture attached.
    attachment.php

1. Open yr phone (by screwdriver & piece of sharped plastic card)

2. Check if original rubber casing that covers the BOTH microphones is fit tight. To be SURE remove the covering over NC Microphone sensor (upper mic (part A) on picture below) completely, put it back ensuring that mic is completely inside the rubber casing, then press it firmly in housing. Take a great care with sensitive parts!

2a. On the lower side of phone there is another mic, it has same rubber covering like Part A but gray color - make the same remove rubber casing completely, put it back ensuring that mic is completely inside the rubber casing, then press it firmly in housing(check very attentively, use light, magnifier & tweezers if you need).
    attachment.php

Close the phone.

3. Check if echo is gone. If No proceed to (4).

4. Open yr phone again & put piece of business card over speaker (as described on picture below.
    As per toxicdust instruction http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21314046&postcount=1
    (but do not cover golden contact from right side of the speaker!!!)
    attachment.php

Close the phone.

5. Check if echo is gone. If No proceed to (6).

6. Open the phone & put pieces of rubber as was described on the picture below. DO NOT USE LATEX AS IT CAN BE DESTROYED DURING SHORT TIME - USE LONG LIFE RUBBER!
    attachment.php

Close the phone.

7. Check if echo is gone. If No repeat all steps again (more attentively because U are the professional already :) ).

For more detail information look upper posts of snigade , Toxicdust & Vitsa.

Do not forget to press thanks button & pls make some remarks in this topic about yr results, it will help other users.
    I have made some useful picture pls check it - hopefully this will help to stop echo...

By the way some guys going to use balloons. Balloons made from LATEX!!! Do not use it! Latex can be destroyed during year or two.
    Also do not use latex gloves & other latex products :)

Better slice by sharp blade thin piece from some rubber washer or other "LONG LIFE" rubber.

Only rubber (or paper) over speaker does not help on most cases.

Also pay attention that original rubber that covers the microphones (upper & lower) it should be fit tight!!! (I describe it on my picture)
    I tested 3 different brand new phones and all had the issue. Does this mean that Samsung fails to correctly assemble all of it's phones?!

Think about it this way. Anything comes loose with vibration. Maybe the delivery company man handled the boxes a bit on delivery or the vibration on the phone itself while being shipped could have loosened it as well.

Remember the Speaker needs to be completely sealed off from the internals of the phone and that's why you need the buffer so that the casing can keep it firmly pressed in place and sealed off from the internals.

Been on the phone a lot today and every person I ask tells me there is absolutely no echo.

And that coming from a 100% guaranteed echo for the last month
    so, anyone else tested this?

I would seem that ppl will probably do it and then not come back to post it worked because my "Thank You" count went up yet no replies

If your phone does this why not just do it? You have nothing to lose