FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Problem with my SuperAmoled Plus Screen!

716 posts
Thanks Meter: 245
 
By RedBlueGreen, Senior Member on 3rd May 2011, 11:31 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
When i received the phone today (around 3pm uk time) after an hour playing around with it i noticed 3 dark thick lines on the bottom half of the screen (on a gray background) i thought nothing of it at first and continued to use the phone.

Only just now i thought there must be a problem so i displayed a full white image and you could really notice those 3 thick dark lines. I then changed the screen brightness to max, min then back to auto and it was gone... BUT! when the screen dims a bit just before turning off i can see those 3 thick lines again just for those few seconds before the screen turns off.. it doesnt really effect me but it annoys me that they are there.. plus there might be problems with it in the future. I'm gonna go to my local Carphone Warehouse tomorrow and see if they can replace it.

I just want to know if any one else has had this screen problem.

Thanks.
3rd May 2011, 11:34 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47
 
More
Do the lines correspond to anything that is on the screen often like the keyboard or some sort of widget you have on your home screen?

These SAMOLED screens suffer from image retention and possibly burn-in. I've noticed it on my original galaxy as well as the Nexus S. As long as the lines go away after a few seconds it should be nothing to worry about. If you notice them there always then that could be a problem... usually the easiest way to see them is on a flat gray background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueGreen

When i received the phone today (around 3pm uk time) after an hour playing around with it i noticed 3 dark thick lines on the bottom half of the screen (on a gray background) i thought nothing of it at first and continued to use the phone.

Only just now i thought there must be a problem so i displayed a full white image and you could really notice those 3 thick dark lines. I then changed the screen brightness to max, min then back to auto and it was gone... BUT! when the screen dims a bit just before turning off i can see those 3 thick lines again just for those few seconds before the screen turns off.. it doesnt really effect me but it annoys me that they are there.. plus there might be problems with it in the future. I'm gonna go to my local Carphone Warehouse tomorrow and see if they can replace it.

I just want to know if any one else has had this screen problem.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to dinan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dinan Ad-Free
3rd May 2011, 11:44 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 428
 
More
oh boy, its too soon to be having any burn in. might be another issue.

my nexus one has burn in of the status bar at the top. and i can see a burn in of my entire keyboard on a white image. after more than a year of using the phone, oh well. but the status bar burn in was there within the first month.
3rd May 2011, 11:55 PM |#4  
RedBlueGreen's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 245
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan

Do the lines correspond to anything that is on the screen often like the keyboard or some sort of widget you have on your home screen?

the lines are:
1: just above where the 4 icons are at the bottom of the screen
2: where the page numbers are (dots)
3: just below the other 4 icons (widgets)

Thing is that these lines are solid and have no breaks in them.. so i dont think its the 3 points i gave above this.
4th May 2011, 12:12 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47
 
More
I know it's too early for burn-in but some screens (might I say... all?) come from the factory with some sort of flaw. None of them are perfect and most have flaws so imperceptible that most people wouldn't notice. Every nexus S and Galaxy I've seen had some sort of area or line or multiple lines on the screen which were a bit different color, not as bright, or something along those lines. Some are worse than others, and I noticed the flaws right after taking it out of the box brand new. (I've been through about 6 Nexus S's between me and a few friends).

It's not really the same as a traditional LCD/LED screen since there's not a big backlight. Each pixel is individually lit and some may have specifications that are just on the edge of within manufacturer limits. There's almost 400,000 pixels on the screen... the chances of all of them being created identically is slim to none.

If it bothers you I say just take it back and get an exchange, showing them the problem area on the screen. Just hope your new one will be "less flawed" =)
4th May 2011, 12:22 AM |#6  
RedBlueGreen's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 245
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan

If it bothers you I say just take it back and get an exchange, showing them the problem area on the screen. Just hope your new one will be "less flawed" =)

Yeah, The last phone i had, had problems with the camera.. i went through about 5 of them and i ended up with one that was the same as the first one i had.

Can you guys have a look at yours?
Just open up a pure white image and check.. if there are no lines wait till it dims the screen and check again... thanks.
4th May 2011, 12:22 AM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Did you put a screen protector on it???

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
4th May 2011, 12:29 AM |#8  
RedBlueGreen's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 245
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycake 21

Did you put a screen protector on it???

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

No not yet.
4th May 2011, 01:12 AM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Dang... The screen protector I put on my sgs has imperfections in it that make the screen appear to have dis coloured pixels in a straight line, but alas, this is not your issue..

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
4th May 2011, 02:55 AM |#10  
RedBlueGreen's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 245
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycake 21

Dang... The screen protector I put on my sgs has imperfections in it that make the screen appear to have dis coloured pixels in a straight line, but alas, this is not your issue..

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

which screen protector did u get? so i know not to buy it =)


edit:
Also ill post the results tomorrow if any one is interested.
4th May 2011, 05:33 AM |#11  
NIK516's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 156
 
More
take a screen shot of the problem? might not show but worth a try, then post it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes