FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF] Samsung Galaxy S II FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

19,556 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,712

By pulser_g2, Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer on 6th May 2011, 10:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Some answered questions that might make it easier for people to find stuff. Feel free to post a link to a question you think should be added. Your post will be deleted, to keep this short and clean, but I'll add it to the first post

What are the specifications of the Samsung Galaxy S II?

Answer:

See this link thanks to RyanZA

How do I get the phone in mass storage mode when connected to a PC?

Answer
Quote:

-Enable usb debugging from Menu > Settings > Applications
-return to home screen
-plug usb cable in
-pull down status bar
-press ' connect usb storage' button

Alternatively, without USB debugging enabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark

Go to Settings > Wireless & Network > USB utilities and click the button > then (and ONLY then) plug in USB cable

How can I use tethering via my Galaxy S II?

Answer

Tethering is enabled in the installed Android OS. Go to Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Tethering

How can I reset the counter in download mode and remove the yellow warning triangle?

See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1068522

Does the SGS II have NFC (Near Field Communications) Support?

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Eazy

I have an email from Samsung claiming that no models worldwide will support NFC, I have posted it earlier in this forum. Samsung Korea have also confirmed that NFC capabilities will be included in new uSIM or MMC technology, it has therefore been left out of their phone models.

The extra thickness of the SGS2 in Korea has nothing to do with NFC, they have an extra chip/antenna on board to connect to high speed internet services.

Why doesn't my phone show all 1GB of RAM?

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYiff

The SGS2 does have 1GB of RAM however some is reserved for use by the GPU and so doesn't show up in any task manager.
For example my phone has been running for almost 24hrs with various applications and games being used and is currently showing as 165MB RAM in use and 528MB free.

Does Gingerbreak work on the SGS 2?

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

No. GingerBreak was able to root a number of engineering samples of the SGS2, but it does NOT work on retail devices.

You can root using the guide at this page

OMGWTFBBQ! Where's Flash?

Yes, even Engadget didn't spot this one, hence the OMGWTFBBQ that must have been running through their journalist heads...

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome-member

you could add enabling 'plugins' on web browser to run flash. as it is by default turned off. even people at engadget were unable to run flash.

Where is the stock Music Player app?

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulser_g2

There does not appear to be the stock Android music application on the ROMs I have got here. I can only find the Touchwiz music application. I will look into getting the stock one to run on this device

What is my password to get into recovery?

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYiff

It is the same as your screen unlock password. So if you use a text password, just enter it here. Similarly, if you use a numerical "PIN" to unlock the screen, just enter it on the upper row of numerical keys. If you use a pattern lock you will not see this screen.

OMG WTF I was conned. Where's my 16 GB??? I WANT IT NAO!

Answer:

Your device uses 500 MB of space for the actual system software, plus around 2GB for your applications and their data storage. There are other partitions used for other system functions, and these take up some of the remaining space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZA

Code:
$ /data/local/tmp/busybox df -h /data
/data/local/tmp/busybox df -h /data
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10
                          2.0G    156.8M      1.8G   8% /data

How can I disable the camera shutter sound?

Answer:

Quote:

If you are rooted, you can do this by renaming the shutter sound ogg file in /system/media/audio/ui. Rename it to .ogg.bak and it should stop the noise.

Also while using another launcher (third party), some of the Samsung widgets do not appear under the widget list. Does anyone know why this happens?

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleCtrOx666

It's normal - Samsung widgets will only work in Touchwiz.

How do you turn off or disable the boot chime/jingle/noise/tune/music?

Quote:

THIS IS UNTESTED. Rename the file /system/etc/1_Power_on.ogg using a root file explorer or adb shell. BE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO RECOVER IF THIS WERE TO BREAK SOMETHING

How can I restore the original lockscreen background?

Answer:

Quote:

Set it as normal background, save it as an image, then set the image as the lockscreen background.

Anyone knows when is the Tegra 2 (NVidia) version coming out? What is the difference between the Tegra 2 and the Exynos processor? What would I lose if I get the Tegra 2 version, assuming it would have better support for gaming over the Exynos?

Quote:

Tegra 2 is slower, and so far there's no confirmation of any models shipping or going to ship with Tegra 2 yet. So it might be awhile before you'll be able to get one, if ever(?).

According to Samsung, "For Hong Kong, the processor will be Tegra 2 and the display will be SUPER AMOLED Plus."

Can you wake your phone up from any other key than power button?

Quote:

Home button wakes it up too.

How do you change the applications docked at the bottom of the screen? I've seen this in a forum, but have forgotten where

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards

1. Click on Applications (bottom right).
2. Click on Menu then on Edit.
3. Now from the list of applications you have on your phone drag an icon down to whichever of the icons you want to replace.
4. Click Save... job done.

what is the biggest microsd card i can put in this thing. What do the 'classes' mean? which class is recommended?

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards

32GB
The classes refer to the speed the card can read & write date.
The greater the class the greater the speed.
Classes start at 2, then 4, 6, 8 & 10.
However not all manufacturers class rating is equal in speed.
i.e. A Sandisk Class 2 is greater in speed to a Kingston Class 4.
My favorite card is the Sandisk 32GB Class 4.

Any other cool tricks?

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moandal

There are some cool tricks (especially if you didn't have the Galaxy S) in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1053751

particularly the following:

Has anyone else noticed in the contacts list, dragging left on a contact sends them an SMS, and right calls them??

Also, you can pinch-zoom the app drawer...

This is a big one: apparently Home + Power buttons = screenshot

if you hold your finger down on the notification bar after a few seconds it becomes a brightness scroll. You just move your finger left/right on the notification bar to decrease/increase the brightness.

In the browser address bar type in "about:useragent" and it will let you change user agent strings

The Following 74 Users Say Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

7th May 2011, 01:36 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
when is Samsung releasing the source for the firmware?
7th May 2011, 02:38 AM |#3  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Warning: Noobish question

Is there anyway to connect to my university's Cisco Nac Agent using the Galaxy S2.
I am asking this because i remember there used to be a lot of commotion regarding Cisco Services on the Galaxy S2 at Samasung's mobile unpacked event
The Following User Says Thank You to al7usaini90 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift al7usaini90 Ad-Free
7th May 2011, 07:47 AM |#4  
Flag Ararat
Thanks Meter: 5

More
thanks for the tips...new user coming from an iphone 4...waiting for phone to arrive from the UK.
7th May 2011, 08:02 AM |#5  
Flag City 17
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Does this baby records stereo audio in video clips? Only phonearena mentions that, but not a word about it in the official specs and other reviews I saw.
7th May 2011, 09:19 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Will we ever see a 32 GB Version?
The Following User Says Thank You to guent_peer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guent_peer Ad-Free
7th May 2011, 11:23 AM |#7  
Flag NL
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guent_peer

Will we ever see a 32 GB Version?

yes .
8th May 2011, 10:38 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5,494

More
Another one thats going to be asked is what about Recovery and wiping battery stats etc .

jje
8th May 2011, 03:21 PM |#9  
London
Thanks Meter: 97

More
How do you enable/disable N wifi?
8th May 2011, 03:47 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Another question from me.Can you wake your phone up from any other key than power button?
Does Widgetlocker lockscreen or no-lock work?
The Following User Says Thank You to nnik_1969 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nnik_1969 Ad-Free
8th May 2011, 05:46 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 886

More
The Samsung App 'MiniDiary'.
This is very similar to the version Samsung put on the SGS.
Whilst it looks great it does have one major flaw..... You can not save the cards you add to the diary.
As such a fresh factory reset deletes all MiniDiary notes and photo's.

Question therefore reads ~ Has anyone found or can think of a way to recover the cards saved using MiniDiary?

If so it would be good to add this to the Topic here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beards For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Beards Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)