[REF] Samsung Galaxy S II FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Search This thread

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
what is the biggest microsd card i can put in this thing.

What do the 'classes' mean? which class is recommended?

32GB
The classes refer to the speed the card can read & write date.
The greater the class the greater the speed.
Classes start at 2, then 4, 6, 8 & 10.
However not all manufacturers class rating is equal in speed.
i.e. A Sandisk Class 2 is greater in speed to a Kingston Class 4.
My favorite card is the Sandisk 32GB Class 4.

Sticks02

Apr 30, 2011
^Sort of correct. Class specifies the MINIMUM guaranteed speed a device can WRITE to the card at, read speed is generally faster anyway. You can see higher quality cards, e.g. Sandisk Class 4's sometimes writing at 14+MB/s and noname-local class 8s and 10s writing at barely above 8 and 10.

Higher the better though, since you might get stuttering and lag with 720p+ video and taking 8MP stills with some cards that actually DO write at lower speeds.

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Where are the photos and videos you shoot from the phone saved?In external sd or in intergrated memory or you can choose?
After you load the Camera App you click on the Settings icon (bottom left in Landscape or top left in Portait) and scroll down to the last but one item ~ Storage.
Here you select either Phone or Memory Card.
Phone stores it to the Phone's internal /SDCard/DCIM
Memory Card stores it to /SDCard/External_SD/DCIM

Reactions: nnik_1969

manks

Apr 1, 2010
Is there any way to change the default screen it starts on. Liked sense how it started on screen 4. Thanks

sohanlon07

May 7, 2011
Belfast
There is Journal - Orange Diary which has Import/Export to Google Docs and Backup as well.
It also allows you to add photo's similar to MiniDiary but with Journal you can add as many photo's as you want, plus audio notes as well.
However, it doesn't have the same facility as MiniDiary to link your photo's directly to a map which is a boom, plus I rather like the eye-candy of MiniDiary.

You make a Diary app Ryan that does all this and I'll pay. :)

Springpad, while not a fully fledged diary app is a good note app which has a lot of options for different types of notes and you can use it via your desktop/laptop browser too. Might be a reasonable alternative for people.

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Springpad, while not a fully fledged diary app is a good note app which has a lot of options for different types of notes and you can use it via your desktop/laptop browser too. Might be a reasonable alternative for people.
I have both a Springpad & Evernote account installed. As you say it does offer note taking with additional info but it is overkill, to large as a dedicated Diary App and not really ideal for this purpose.
The lightness of the MiniDiary is ideal...... Just a shame (as has already been covered) you can not backup your MiniDiary notes.

So, the question remains ~ under Frequently Asked Questions ~ There does not appear to be a direct method to backup MiniDiary. The only option is to first root your phone and backup the MiniDiary App but that again is not ideal as:-
a) It requires rooting the phone.
b) Backup is not implemented directly from within the App.

marvi0

May 23, 2008
?
"Originally Posted by pulser_g2
If you are rooted, you can do this by renaming the shutter sound ogg file in /system/media/audio/ui. Rename it to .ogg.bak and it should stop the noise."

ok renamed the ogg file, the shutter is now gone, but their is still a bleep, when i press the button to take a pic. can this be silenced as well?.

Last edited:

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
how do you take a macro shot?

Select Camera then once it has loaded select Settings then look down and you will see 'Focus Mode'.
Tap Focus Mode and from the drop down menu select Macro which is the middle of three you can select.
Selectable items are:-
Auto Focus, Macro or Face Detection.

Reactions: rwc3b

neock

Jul 22, 2007
Canton
Anyone knows when is the Tegra 2 (NVidia) version coming out? What is the difference between the Tegra 2 and the Exynos processor? What would I lose if I get the Tegra 2 version, assuming it would have better support for gaming over the Exynos?

According to Samsung, "For Hong Kong, the processor will be Tegra 2 and the display will be SUPER AMOLED Plus."

not really true, it was then confirmed that it was just a misunderstanding of the facebook chat. there will be NO tegra 2 version in hongkong.

A[L]C

May 9, 2011
"Originally Posted by pulser_g2
If you are rooted, you can do this by renaming the shutter sound ogg file in /system/media/audio/ui. Rename it to .ogg.bak and it should stop the noise."

ok renamed the ogg file, the shutter is now gone, but their is still a bleep, when i press the button to take a pic. can this be silenced as well?.

This will be the focus sound. It's played when the focus square goes green.

Im also looking to disable this so would appreciate any info.

Thanks

bdpyo

Dec 3, 2010
Philadelphia
Wanting to pick this up for Att anyone have a valid drop date? Can't seem to find anything reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using RedSn0w.

Mother_Gooz

Jun 20, 2008
Awesome device! Got it today, but i have a problem and not seen it in the topics so far. I have Kies installed but it doesn't recognise my phone. It keeps saying: Connecting. When i look at the pc's device manager i see it says: CDC Serial No drivers installed. I think thats why Kies its not recognises the device.

I dit a full uninstall and re-install but its not working, any of you owners have the same problem?

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Awesome device! Got it today, but i have a problem and not seen it in the topics so far. I have Kies installed but it doesn't recognise my phone. It keeps saying: Connecting. When i look at the pc's device manager i see it says: CDC Serial No drivers installed. I think thats why Kies its not recognises the device.

I dit a full uninstall and re-install but its not working, any of you owners have the same problem?
Which version of Kies are you running?

Mother_Gooz

Jun 20, 2008
Thanks for the info! But it doesn't work, tried everything: Different USB ports - Try finding the right drivers in the zipfile - Deleting Kies and install again..

Anyone got a bright idea on this one, or am i the only one with this problem :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some answered questions that might make it easier for people to find stuff. Feel free to post a link to a question you think should be added. Your post will be deleted, to keep this short and clean, but I'll add it to the first post :)

What are the specifications of the Samsung Galaxy S II?

Answer:

See this link thanks to RyanZA

How do I get the phone in mass storage mode when connected to a PC?

Answer
    -Enable usb debugging from Menu > Settings > Applications
    -return to home screen
    -plug usb cable in
    -pull down status bar
    -press ' connect usb storage' button
    Alternatively, without USB debugging enabled

stuclark said:
    Go to Settings > Wireless & Network > USB utilities and click the button > then (and ONLY then) plug in USB cable

How can I use tethering via my Galaxy S II?

Answer

Tethering is enabled in the installed Android OS. Go to Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Tethering

How can I reset the counter in download mode and remove the yellow warning triangle?

See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1068522

Does the SGS II have NFC (Near Field Communications) Support?

Answer:

P-Eazy said:
    I have an email from Samsung claiming that no models worldwide will support NFC, I have posted it earlier in this forum. Samsung Korea have also confirmed that NFC capabilities will be included in new uSIM or MMC technology, it has therefore been left out of their phone models.

The extra thickness of the SGS2 in Korea has nothing to do with NFC, they have an extra chip/antenna on board to connect to high speed internet services.

Why doesn't my phone show all 1GB of RAM?

Answer:

MrYiff said:
    The SGS2 does have 1GB of RAM however some is reserved for use by the GPU and so doesn't show up in any task manager.
    For example my phone has been running for almost 24hrs with various applications and games being used and is currently showing as 165MB RAM in use and 528MB free.

Does Gingerbreak work on the SGS 2?

Answer:

Chainfire said:
    No. GingerBreak was able to root a number of engineering samples of the SGS2, but it does NOT work on retail devices.
    You can root using the guide at this page

OMGWTFBBQ! Where's Flash?

Yes, even Engadget didn't spot this one, hence the OMGWTFBBQ that must have been running through their journalist heads...

Answer:

awesome-member said:
    you could add enabling 'plugins' on web browser to run flash. as it is by default turned off. even people at engadget were unable to run flash.:D

Where is the stock Music Player app?

Answer:

pulser_g2 said:
    There does not appear to be the stock Android music application on the ROMs I have got here. I can only find the Touchwiz music application. I will look into getting the stock one to run on this device

What is my password to get into recovery?

Answer:

MrYiff said:
    It is the same as your screen unlock password. So if you use a text password, just enter it here. Similarly, if you use a numerical "PIN" to unlock the screen, just enter it on the upper row of numerical keys. If you use a pattern lock you will not see this screen.

OMG WTF I was conned. Where's my 16 GB??? I WANT IT NAO!

Answer:

Your device uses 500 MB of space for the actual system software, plus around 2GB for your applications and their data storage. There are other partitions used for other system functions, and these take up some of the remaining space.

RyanZA said:
    Code:
    $ /data/local/tmp/busybox df -h /data
    /data/local/tmp/busybox df -h /data
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
                              2.0G    156.8M      1.8G   8% /data

How can I disable the camera shutter sound?

Answer:

pulser_g2 said:
    If you are rooted, you can do this by renaming the shutter sound ogg file in /system/media/audio/ui. Rename it to .ogg.bak and it should stop the noise.

Also while using another launcher (third party), some of the Samsung widgets do not appear under the widget list. Does anyone know why this happens?

Answer:

EleCtrOx666 said:
    It's normal - Samsung widgets will only work in Touchwiz.

How do you turn off or disable the boot chime/jingle/noise/tune/music?

pulser_g2 said:
    THIS IS UNTESTED. Rename the file /system/etc/1_Power_on.ogg using a root file explorer or adb shell. BE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO RECOVER IF THIS WERE TO BREAK SOMETHING

How can I restore the original lockscreen background?

Answer:

RyanZA said:
    Set it as normal background, save it as an image, then set the image as the lockscreen background.

Anyone knows when is the Tegra 2 (NVidia) version coming out? What is the difference between the Tegra 2 and the Exynos processor? What would I lose if I get the Tegra 2 version, assuming it would have better support for gaming over the Exynos?

RyanZA said:
    Tegra 2 is slower, and so far there's no confirmation of any models shipping or going to ship with Tegra 2 yet. So it might be awhile before you'll be able to get one, if ever(?).

According to Samsung, "For Hong Kong, the processor will be Tegra 2 and the display will be SUPER AMOLED Plus."

Can you wake your phone up from any other key than power button?

RyanZA said:
    Home button wakes it up too.

How do you change the applications docked at the bottom of the screen? I've seen this in a forum, but have forgotten where

Answer:

Beards said:
    1. Click on Applications (bottom right).
    2. Click on Menu then on Edit.
    3. Now from the list of applications you have on your phone drag an icon down to whichever of the icons you want to replace.
    4. Click Save... job done.

what is the biggest microsd card i can put in this thing. What do the 'classes' mean? which class is recommended?

Answer:

Beards said:
    32GB

Any other cool tricks?

Answer:

Moandal said:
    There are some cool tricks (especially if you didn't have the Galaxy S) in this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1053751

particularly the following:

Has anyone else noticed in the contacts list, dragging left on a contact sends them an SMS, and right calls them??

Also, you can pinch-zoom the app drawer...

This is a big one: apparently Home + Power buttons = screenshot

if you hold your finger down on the notification bar after a few seconds it becomes a brightness scroll. You just move your finger left/right on the notification bar to decrease/increase the brightness.

In the browser address bar type in "about:useragent" and it will let you change user agent strings
    As posted by lgkahn

divx works fine.
    goto settings/about phone/licenses/divx .. it will give you a code to register on the divx site.. you will need to download divx software to your pc.. run the program and put in the code after creating an account and registering..
    then it will create a divx video that you move to the phone and play and it will unlock divx playing capability on the phone.. it was the same on the sgs.

jje

In case anyone needs this in a step-by-step guide:-

To register DivX you need to do the following:-
    1. On the SGSII go to Settings/About Phone/Legal Information/License Settings/DivX VOD/Register
    This will give you a registration code which you need to make a note of.
    2. Once done you then have to download the registration file by clicking on where it says 'Free Download' from DivX ~ http://vod.divx.com
    3. This will then download a file titled DivXInstaller.exe to your PC.
    4. Install this file on your PC then run the DivX Player and register the SGSII using the code you wrote down earlier.
    5. A file will then be downloaded to the PC which you then have to copy across to the SGSII.
    6. Once copied simply play the file and the SGSII is then registered.
    7. Go back into the settings and you will now notice where it says register it is now 'greyed out' and 'Deregister' is available to click on should you wish to de-register.

Job done....
    what is the biggest microsd card i can put in this thing.

What do the 'classes' mean? which class is recommended?

32GB
    Thanks a lot 4 d million dollar info... but where can i find the step by step guide to rooting...

Attached are steps I cut and pasted...

This URL should help.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075278
    How can I disable the camera shutter sound?

How do you turn off or disable the boot chime/jingle/noise/tune/music?

Regarding these two, just to clear things up a bit, the proper file to rename for the camera shutter would be "Shutter_01.ogg". And for the boot chime it would be "PowerOn.wav" (not the "1_Power_on.ogg") :)

Also, if u want to remove the annoying sound it makes when 100% charged, rename "TW_Battery_caution.ogg" in system/media/audio/ui to "TW_Battery_caution.ogg.bak".

All of these are confirmed working with KE2 firmware :D