FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF] SAMSUNG Modem+RIL CWM Installers

3,263 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,330

By hawkerpaul, Senior Member on 11th September 2012, 12:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
There's been quite a bit of discussion lately regarding modems and the Radio Interface Layer (RIL)

The usual modem CWM files install the modem.bin file and nothing else. Ideally your modem's RIL files should also be installed, as the modem and RIL should be fully compatible with each other in order for it to work optimally. If they are not matching, you may (emphasis on the "may"!!) not be getting the most out of your modem.

For this modem/RIL compatibility, other files that came bundled in official firmware for its particular modem are required.
The app GetRIL attempts to rectify this problem.

These modem-particular files are (and I'm still looking for more possibilities):
1. /system/lib/libril.so
2. /system/lib/libsec-ril.so
3. /system/lib/libsecril-client.so
4. /system/lib/libsecril-client-sap.so(4.0.4+)
5. /system/bin/drexe
(thanks to E:V:A)

(Filenames containing "sec" means "Samsung Electronics Corporation" by the way)
The above RIL files can be obtained from official firmware .md5 file (or your custom ROM's zip file) and are particular to whichever verison of modem it was bundled with. So for example, if a firmware was bundled with XXLPX modem, the RIL files in the lib folder will be the files particular to the XXLPX modem (unless a ROM developer has put in a modem.bin in the installer zip that differs to that of the original firmware....be aware of this possibility.)

I assume all the modem CWM files that we have been installing in the past have been created by the general public who have downloaded firmware and posted up a convenient modem flash file, so I have now created a more complete modem flashable file that does Modem+RIL.

The scripts I've written install the modem as normal, but also install the system/lib files, thereby installing a modem with 100% correct RIL. The script also backs up the current RIL files to internal sd card under MyBackups folder.

What will a modem with matching RIL give me?
It almost certainly will not improve your signal strength. My findings are however suggesting you have an improved chance of obtaining better network connectivity (eg. E, G, 3G, H, H+). For example, I am now consistently getting a H+ connection where previously I would only be getting H at best. This will obviously improve your speeds during browsing, and my findings are also suggesting that the better the network connection, the more chance you have for Fast Dormancy to work as it should, thereby saving battery.

Only flash Modem/RIL taken from 4.1.2 onto 4.1.2. Do NOT flash these on previous versions as they will not work properly.
It is also recommended NOT to flash Modem/RIL taken from firmwares previous to 4.1.2 onto 4.1.2.
If you want to try older modems on 4.1.2, then flash MODEM ONLY WITHOUT RIL.

These Modem/RIL files have been extracted from official Samsung firmwares. Do not attempt to flash Modem/RIL files onto CM/AOSP/AOKP based ROMs as results cannot be guaranteed. You may end up with no network or baseband if you flash on anything other than Samsung based ROMs, so do so at your own risk!!!!

The following Modem+RIL combinations have been uploaded so far:

Android 4.1.2
BULS1 (Taken from XWLSD) (Vodaphone)
BVLS2 (Taken from ORALSS GT-I9100P) (Orange)
BVLS4 (Orange UK)
DDLS9 (XWLSK India)
JHLS2 (Taken from JHLS4)
NELS1 (H3G Italy, 3UK)
T_JJLS2
UGMA5
UHMS1 (Taken from UHMS8)
XXLS8 (Taken from XWLS8)
XXLS6 (Taken from XXLSJ JB leak)
XXLS9 (Taken from XWLSH)
XXMS2 (Taken from XWLSN)
XXMS3
XWMS3 (Taken from XWLSW)
ZSLSJ

Android 4.0.4
BOLP7 (T-Mobile-Germany)
BOLP9 (T-Mobile-Germany)
BVLPE (Orange-UK)
BULPG (Vodafone-Germany)
DDLPB
JHLPC (Orange-Israel)
NELP4 (Three-UK)
UHLPH
XXLQ5
XXLQ6
ZSLPN
ZSLPQ

Android 4.0.3
BOLP5
BOLP7 (T-Mobile-Netherlands)
BULP6 (Vodafone)
BULP7 (Vodafone)
DVLP3 (Telstra-Australia)
BVLP7 (Orange-UK)
BVLPD (Orange-Romania)
T_DCLP4 (Thailand)
DDLPA
T_DOLP4 (Telecom-New Zealand)
DULP4
DXLP7
DXLP9
DXLPA
JHLP9 (Orange-Israel)
T_JJLP8 (Pelephone-Israel)
T_HZLP2 (Mirs-Israel)
MUGLD3
NELP2 (3-UK)
NELP3 (3-UK)
NELP4 (3-UK)
UHLPG
XXLPW
XXLBR (O2-UK)
XXLPS
XXLPX

Android 2.x (GB)
XXKI4
XXKH3

Downoad Here

Download Here
My HUGE thanks goes out to ApriliaM3 for hosting the scripts.
Please give him the thanks he deserves.

Big thanks go out to all the contributors below for providing the following ModemRIL scripts:
adotkdotjh: UGMA5
ApriliaM3: BOLP5, DXLPA, NELP3, ZSLPQ
Bieniu: XXLQ5
Christian Nothing: BULS1 (modem only)
codebeard: T_HZLP2, T_JJLP8, T_JJLS2, T_DCLP4, T_DOLP4 (all for GT-I9100T)
citytrader: UHLPH, XXLPS, ZSLPN
diffusal: DULP4
dmagician: JHLS2
FeuchtVonLipwig: BOLP7
gGabi: JHLP9, JHLPC
goolby: XXKH3
Hayth: NELS1 (3 UK)
Ibsonic: BOLP7
lmihaila: BVLPD
Juzman: DVLP3, XXLPS (includes libril.so)
Kenzneth
krezee: DDLPB
luigimak: DDLS9, NELS1, UHMS1, XXLS9, XXMS2
l_ryuzaki: DDLPB (India)
luigimak: BVLS4, XXMS3
mattisfaction: NELP2, NELP4, XXLBR
n-zocker: BOLP9
rogers11: BULP6, BULP7, BULPG
tom_car: DXLP9, DXLP7
sefrcoko: MUGLD3
tariq2kn: XXLS9
Troubadour666: XWMS3
Zaldi00: 250S-LPO, 250K-LPO (Korea)

Uploaded by myself: BULS1, BVLS2, BVLP7, BVLPE, DDLPA, NELP4 (from XWLPY), UHLPG, XXKI4, XXLQ6, XXLPW, XXLPX, XXLS6, XXLS8

(T_) - GT-I9100T-specific modems

After flashing you should have a compatible Modem/RIL combination.

NOTE: As you would now be using Samsung's intended RIL files for your modem, if you run GetRIL after running a ModemRIL script and GetRIL reports a mis-match after flashing one of the ModemRIL scripts, then barring a mistake by Samsung themselves or the script's author by building RIL files from a different modem/firmware, then it is a problem with GetRIL's database and/or logic on how it decides if there is a mis-match.

Backup of RIL Files
If a ModemRIL installer has been created for the original modem that was bundled with your firmware, then dont worry at all about backup/restore. The appropriate ModemRIL file is the best method to get you back onto your firmware's intended setup. However you can still use the backup/restore scripts below if desired.

The intended method of backing up your RIL files is to keep a copy of your firmware's original RIL files. To achieve this, it is best to get into the habit of flashing RIL-Backup once you have flashed new firmware before you start playing about with different modems. This only becomes a necessity if a ModemRIL installer has not yet been created for the firmware's original modem. If one has been created, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you may still want to run RIL-Backup as habit. RIL-Backup will remove any existing backup found and create a copy in /sdcard/MyBackups/BackupRIL. This way, you can always revert back to the intended RIL of your firmware if need be. As a safeguard, my ModemRIL scripts will also backup the current RIL files if no previous backup was found. If a backup is detected, then it will be skipped. Just remember if you rely on the backup created by ModemRIL scripts and do not use RIL-Backup after flashing a new ROM, then the restore may not necessarily be of the original RIL files that came with your new firmware.

RIL_Backup will force a backup of your current RIL files. Remember, best practice is to run this once directly after flashing new firmware/ROM, before installing different modems.

Restore RIL Files
If you need to restore back to your original/previous modem/RIL then simply run the ModemRIL script from this thread for that modem.
If a ModemRIL installer has not been created for the modem you need to revert back to, then you can run the RIL-Restore script. You will then need to flash the previous modem using a modem-only CWM flashable file.

RIL_Restore will attempt to restore the original RIL files backed up by RIL-Backup or by one of these scripts.

Note on possibe BootLoops
The modem.bin and all the RIL files contained in the ModemRIL scripts came from whichever firmware the modem was bundled within. Therefore it is possible that there could be issues if trying to install these on anything other than the firmware version that the modem/RIL originated from. This is why the originating firmware version is stated above. I can only test on my current ROM (NEAT LPI which is ICS 4.0.3). If after flashing there is incompatibility issues with your particular firmware version, the best course of action would be to flash the ModemRIL file for your firmware's original modem.

I only want to install the Modem without RIL
If you just want to install the modem only from any of the Modem+RIL files then:
1. Download the Modem_RIL.zip file you require
2. Create your Modem-only zip from this

This modem-only zip file can be created in one of two ways:

I already have a Modem-only zip file but for another modem
1. Rename this (or copy) to Modem_xxxxx.zip for the Modem you are wanting to flash
2. Open this zip file along with the Modem_RIL file you just downloaded with 7Zip
3. Ensure you can see a file called modem.bin in both archives
4. Drag the modem.bin file from the Modem_RIL file into the Modem_xxxxx.zip file
5. Save+exit
6. Flash Modem_xxxxx.zip through CWM

I don't have any Modem-only zip files
Simply remove the system folder from the Modem_RIL zip file:
1. Rename (or copy) ModemRIL_xxxxx.zip to Modem_xxxxx.zip
2. Open the zip with 7Zip
3. Right click the system folder and choose Delete
4. Exit 7Zip. You will now be good to go for a modem-only flash
5. Flash Modem_xxxxx.zip through CWM

However, for completeness you may want to also change the updater-script accordingly. To do this:
1. Get hold of an updater-script from an existing modem-only zip
2. If you don't have one, download updater_script_Modem_Only and rename this file to updater_script
3. Open your Modem_xxxxx.zip file and navigate to META-INF/com/google/android
4. Drag+drop updater-script into the zip

If you don't change the updater-script, then there is no harm done. No RIL will be installed (as its been removed from the zip), you will just see RIL-related messages in the installer which you can ignore.

How to make your own ModemRIL script

Step 1 - Get the files you need
You need to use the zip/tar/md5 file of the original ROM so that we know we have a RIL that is best suited to the modem it came bundled with. From this you can extract the modem.bin file, and also all the required RIL files listed above.

Extract files from a custom ROM (.zip)
You can very easily extract the necessary files from a custom ROM (Eg. Neat ROM)
1. Open the zip file by using 7Zip
2. Find modem.bin and drag it onto your desktop
3. Navigate to /system/lib and /system/bin
4. Drag the files mentioned above to your desktop

To get the required files from an official Samsung download (.tar.md5) file is a little more tricky:

Extract files from an official Samsung download (.tar.md5)
For this you will need the following installed on your PC:
Java Runtime, sgs2toext4.jar and Linux Reader from www.diskinternals.com.
It will be easier for later if you create a shortcut on your desktop to the DiskInternals Linux Reader

1. Open the md5 file, open it with 7Zip and extract modem.bin and factoryfs.img (ignore any no current record error)
2. Double click sgs2toext4.jar (you need to have java installed on your PC for this to work)
3. Drop the file factoryfs.img file inside sgs2toext4.jar This will generate factoryfs.ext4.img
4. Drop factoryfs.ext4.img onto your DiskInternals Linux Reader shortcut you created on your Desktop. This will open the app.
5. Double click Linux Ext Volume 1 (or similar)
6. Navigate to the /system/lib and /system/bin folders and look for the RIL files above. Android 4.0.4+ will have file (4.). Save these files to your PC.

At this point you should now have the neccessary files saved onto your PC. Ie:
modem.bin
/system/lib/libril.so
/system/lib/libsec-ril.so
/system/lib/libsecril-client.so
/system/lib/libsecril-client-sap.so (4.0.4+)
/system/bin/drexe

You can now use these files to create your own ModemRIL installer script:

Step 2 - Build the script
1. Download any one of the existing ModemRIL scripts and make a copy. For my personal template, use BVLP7.
2. Rename this copy to the ModemRIL you are going to build
3. Open the .zip file with 7Zip
4. At the root of the zip, drop your modem.bin file so that the existing version of this file is overwritten
5. Navigate into the system/lib folder
6. Remove all the existing (.so) files
7. Drop any lib files you saved into this folder.
8. Navigate into the system/bin folder
9. Remove all the existing files
10. Drop any bin files you saved into this folder.

The ModemRIL zip file is now done. The following steps are optional, but recommended for completeness and to avoid confusion when installing:

8. Go back up to the root folder and navigate to META-INF/com/google/android
9. Drag+drop the file called updater-script onto your desktop
10. Right click this file and edit this with Notepad++. Do not edit with Windows Notepad, as you will corrupt the carriage-return characters.
11. Edit the 4th line of this file to show the name of the modem/RIL you are building
12. Save the file in Notepad++
13. Drag the amended updater-script file back into your open zip archive, overwriting the existing script

You're done!

Changelog
16/10/2012
* New backup logic. RIL files are now only backed up once. ModemRIL script will skip the backup if a backup is found.
* RIL_Backup.zip intended to be run after flashing a new ROM, or to force a RIL backup

24/09/2012
* Include /system/bin/drexe
* Backup of existing RIL files made to internal (not external) SD Card

Note on Changelogs
The latest changes above have been incorporated into the ModemRIL files that I have uploaded.
They may not necessarily be included in files uploaded by other contributors. It is up to individual contributors to decide whether or not to include any of my changes in the scripts they have uploaded

Latest scripts
Below are links to the latest versions of scripts/shells which can be used for building a ModemRIL installer.
For an example zip to use for your overall template, use BVLP7 then edit as per the instructions above.
updater-script (main installer script)
BackupTest.sh (test for existing backup)
BackupRIL.sh (backup current RIL if no previous backup)

Below are links to the latest versions of scripts/shells which can be used in RIL-Backup:
updater-scipt (rename to updater-script)
BackupOrigRIL.sh (forces backup of RIL files)

Below are links to the latest versions of scripts/shells which can be used in RIL-Restore:
updater-script (rename to updater-script)
RestoreRIL.sh (restores backed up files)

Feel free to use my scripts as installer templates to create your own ModemRIL CWM zip files for different modems.
Just make sure you link them up on here to share for everyone!

Modem-only related links
pulser_g2/geko95gek GS2 Shipped modem collection
Veyka's Index of GS2 Radios
Pan24's modem links
Turkbey's modem links
The Following 183 Users Say Thank You to hawkerpaul For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hawkerpaul Ad-Free

11th September 2012, 12:46 PM |#2  
Flag Athens, GR
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Best wishes for the new thread!

As I posted in the modems thread: "Thanks for the BVLP7 composition but no H+ signal. Unless its only a matter of icon."

Flashed your BVLP7 combo but only getting H sing.. No H+ anymore.. Any ideas? Could it be a rom issue?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to belerephont For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift belerephont Ad-Free
11th September 2012, 01:05 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by belerephont

Best wishes for the new thread!

As I posted in the modems thread: "Thanks for the BVLP7 composition but no H+ signal. Unless its only a matter of icon."

Flashed your BVLP7 combo but only getting H sing.. No H+ anymore.. Any ideas? Could it be a rom issue?

Thanks

Different modems work better for different regions/carriers.

I'm in the UK on Orange with BVLP7 and get H+ fine.
So it seems does ApriliaM3, who I believe is in Thailand.

As with all modems, its a case of trying to find out which one works best for you.
Matching the RIL is not a magic cure for all (if at all) but it will at least give the modem the best chance for it to work as intended.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hawkerpaul For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hawkerpaul Ad-Free
11th September 2012, 01:49 PM |#4  
Flag Cotswolds, England
Thanks Meter: 327

More
Nice one Hawker old boy!

Whilst I cannot say that my signal has changed, and nor would I expect it to, but I am hoping that by having a compatible RIL I will have less wakelocks and thus improve my battery life.

Thanks for this thread and keep up the good work.
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [email protected] Ad-Free
11th September 2012, 02:21 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerpaul

As with all modems, its a case of trying to find out which one works best for you.
Matching the RIL is not a magic cure for all (if at all) but it will at least give the modem the best chance for it to work as intended.

just for info, with the config as my signature and your BVLP7 CWM file, i also get the H+ just fine. (btw, i'm in the Netherlands and for me BVLP7 is the best modem so far).

good luck with the new thread, i'll subscribe to it right away!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuniel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tuniel Ad-Free
11th September 2012, 02:47 PM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 53,717

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuniel

just for info, with the config as my signature and your BVLP7 CWM file, i also get the H+ just fine. (btw, i'm in the Netherlands and for me BVLP7 is the best modem so far).

good luck with the new thread, i'll subscribe to it right away!

+1 Serbia

Congratulations Paul for the new thread!
I subscribed and will check back here often!

Best regards
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to _Sale_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _Sale_ Ad-Free
11th September 2012, 03:16 PM |#7  
Flag Athens, GR
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerpaul

Just tried your BVLPE combo and I now do get H+ icon as supposed to be. Will keep this for a few days and see how it goes as a modem..

Thanks!
11th September 2012, 03:20 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 513

More
Great thread Paul!...

about PBVLP7, I had the same problem with H instead H+ and after testing is not an icon problem, it dont work in H+.

The strange thing is that is from Orange and Android 4.0.3, the newer Android 4.0.4 comes with BVLPE, but this is for I9100 and not P variant so maybe we have to wait the 4.0.4 P variant

Another curious thing, I'm in Mexico a for Mexico in the last 4.0.4 there is the modem LPH+RIL, but this modem work much worse than BVLPE+RIL...
The Following User Says Thank You to citytrader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift citytrader Ad-Free
11th September 2012, 03:28 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytrader

Great thread Paul!...

about PBVLP7, I had the same problem with H instead H+ and after testing is not an icon problem, it dont work in H+.

The strange thing is that is from Orange and Android 4.0.3, the newer Android 4.0.4 comes with BVLPE, but this is for I9100 and not P variant so maybe we have to wait the 4.0.4 P variant

Another curious thing, I'm in Mexico a for Mexico in the last 4.0.4 there is the modem LPH+RIL, but this modem work much worse than BVLPE+RIL...

Cheers mate

I'm in the UK on Orange, but BVLP7 works great for me. I get H+ regularly!
When doing BVLP7 Fast Dormancy testing (*#0011#) I get correct drops from DCH to FACH to PCH, with an eventual drop to IDLE.
I tested BVLPE for FD, and it seems to go mostly from DCH directly down to IDLE. (this will probably be more battery friendly for users who hardly ever use the internet when outside of wifi range)

Apart from this, BVLP7 and BVLPE seem pretty much identical in terms of signal for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to hawkerpaul For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hawkerpaul Ad-Free
11th September 2012, 03:31 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 513

More
Here are the UHLPH (comes with lastest UHLPV firmware) and XXLPS using your script.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ModemRIL_UHLPH.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.01 MB, 1425 views)
File Type: zip ModemRIL_XXLPS.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.98 MB, 1749 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to citytrader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift citytrader Ad-Free
11th September 2012, 03:39 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytrader

Here are the UHLPH (comes with lastest UHLPV firmware) and XXLPS using your script.

Brilliant! Thanks mate

Interesting to see UHLPH also has a libsecril-client-sap.so file.
Only this and BVLPE has this file up to now.
The Following User Says Thank You to hawkerpaul For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hawkerpaul Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
baseband, hawker's threads, modem ril, sgs2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)