Samsung Galaxy S2 TEGRA

Search This thread

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
Why would i sell a Cortex A9 CPU equipped device for a much slower Cortex A8 CPU equipped device?

The ONLY thing the Tegra unit has that the Exynos doesn't is official support for the Tegra zone games, games i dont play (and can be played with CFs driver anyway). In every other way the Exynos unit beats the Tegra one.

tjtj4444

Apr 11, 2011
Why would i sell a Cortex A9 CPU equipped device for a much slower Cortex A8 CPU equipped device?

The ONLY thing the Tegra unit has that the Exynos doesn't is official support for the Tegra zone games, games i dont play (and can be played with CFs driver anyway). In every other way the Exynos unit beats the Tegra one.

Tegra 2 is also a Cortex A9 architecture, but it has slower memory and no NEON instructions etc, so it is not as good as Exynos.

S

ski_power

Also, I believe that Exynos can decode H.264 high profile in hardware unlike the Tegra2

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I think they're two different phones for different markets. The Tegra SGS2 is a carrier phone so I'm guessing Samsung won't distribute it themselves. Samsung said all along they wouldn't have enough Exynos chips for worldwide distribution and initial talk was that Tegra would be sent to developing countries along with a S-LCD screen. Interesting that they chose to send it to the U.S. It's cheaper and the quantities the U.S. needs probably would have been more than Exynos production could keep up with. Or maybe AT&T was looking for a bargain. The Atrix and O2X/G2X are on Tegra so it'll be interesting to see how Samsung's use of it performs. It's been pretty disappointing (except for gaming) so far.

Eddiedk

Jan 2, 2011
Absolutely not...

Why change my beautyfull SAMO-LED screen for a lousy S-LCD, when i have waited so long for that screen. The Nexus S got the S-lcd in our area, and i was very disappointed - the only solution with AMOLED was the aging Galaxy S. But then the SGS2 came out, and by no means i'm going to swap it for an S-lcd - Tegra or not... (preferrably NOT - with thought on Nvidia's strategy) :)