FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

The "all of the sudden" battery fix on ICS

239 posts
Thanks Meter: 59

By loop4444, Senior Member on 5th September 2012, 03:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have been using my s2 only 1 day on GB so i cant really tell you was the battery life good or bad there, but i i have some news for ICS
stock ROM users.

I was actually really depressed by the ICS battery life (i upgraded from GB same day i bought brand new S2), battery life was terrible,
turning on/off syncing, mobile data, gps etc etc helped a bit, but not that much. i still couldent get full day out of it with moderate use.
Again, im on stock 4.0.3 atm.

And then, a miracle.
Let me say right away, i am aware that these types of batterys (i have stock one btw) dont react on this whole "fully discharge then recharge" thing, but i do think now Android ICS as a system does! Cuz it was exactly what i did-i said what the heck doesent hurt to try and i was playing games like crazy when battery was on 10 or less percent so it wld shut down. then, i connected charger and used as normal on charger until it was fully juiced. repeated 3-4 times and what do you know... i now get 50% OR MORE WITH THE SAME BATTERY!

I am not really sure what happend there. Did battery gauge reset? Did ICS "learned" my battery properly? I dont know. All i know is that i am now able to get trough whole day (i get up 7:00AM, go to sleep round 01:00) with only 1 full charge. I dont even bother turning off wifi sometimes when i go out and dont need it.

I have been also reading around the web that some people got the same result. No calibration trys,pulling battery etc etc...just let it go trough few cycles and let system/phone "calibrate by itself".

Not exactly sure if this is a solution, bug, feature or whatever. I just thought it was worth writing to you guys
cheers, loop

5th September 2012, 03:22 PM |#2  
Flag ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು-Bengaluru
Thanks Meter: 440

More
why dont u share some screenshots
5th September 2012, 03:28 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
np mate, but in evening or tomo morning when i come home
5th September 2012, 03:50 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Well, you actually shortened your battery life span by draining your battery to nothing, you should probably google what happens when you drain lithium batteries, and how it affects capacity, and not just
Quote:

dont react on this whole "fully discharge then recharge" thing

You probably did reset your fuel gauge as your phone had no power to hold the gage memory, but you could of saved yourself a lot of battery capacity, by using search and finding out how to reset the battery gauge on the Samsung galaxy s2. Hint* search extweaks and Siyah kernel.

Anyway at least other people who read this, hopefully learn and do it all the easiest and battery efficient way and not
Quote:

I have been also reading around the web that some people got the same result. No calibration trys,pulling battery etc etc...just let it go trough few cycles and let system/phone "calibrate by itself".

Hope this helped, and for future reference do not drain lithium batteries, whether it is your phone, laptop, ps3 controller. Try not to get it under 50% for the best efficiency, but the more you drain it to minimum charge the faster it degrades.
5th September 2012, 03:51 PM |#5  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 878

Donate to Me
More
Did you uninstall anything? Did you change any settings? Sounds to me like wakelocks that were removed more than ICS "learning" your battery.
5th September 2012, 04:05 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Take it like this: i upgraded to ICS over GB and did full wipe. First day i installed lets say 20+ apps that i use. mostly utilities,few games.
In this period of "recovery" i only updated few apps, installed GTAIII and Flipboard.

Let me make this perfeclty clear as i stated in OP and as deniso wrote: i am aware of todays batterys and how do they work. i am not senior android user but i know my way around,so as i stated, i know i dident "FIX" the battery itself. But i still think the main problem here is not the battery itself,its how ICS uses it.

However this:
Quote:

Try not to get it under 50% for the best efficiency

is just... funny. "try not to" ok i get it, but below 50% is when u need your phone the most, should i carry a portable generator with me? no offense.

Please, do not throw rocks at me. I am aware what i wrote, and i am aware that it doesent makes sense with todays batterys and smartphones.
however,i still do have my better battery life, whatever u say or dont say.

Ill make some screenies when i come home.
Ty all for your feedback.
6th September 2012, 01:22 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
I said TRY not to, I personally use my phone all day and my battery only gets down to about 75% -85% at the end of the day, so it takes nothing special for our phones, unless you do heavy gaming or movie watching all the time.

And what I said, which wasn't throwing rocks at you, is that you probably just reset your fuel gauge as there was a lack of power to the memory chip, and like I said in my first post, Search EXTWEAKS and Siyah kernel as they have that exact function in them which does not require you to drain your battery below critical values or at all.
6th September 2012, 02:14 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
hello again, just posting screenies that i promised

(its in croatian,but you can see what is important)

So as i said before. This is roughly really 50% MORE then what i was getting first few days on ICS. now, i dont know still if this is very good or average, but
it gets me trough day for sure. As u can see, i posted "screen on" time, cuz i was not getting even half of that before and i still have 34% left!
The day was filled with 5-6 emails, i watched 4 youtube videos, did cca 29 mins on surfing and cca 30-35mins in plants vs zombies. few sms, few calls.

So, im not playin smart here or anything, i just have more batter with whatever i did, and it makes me happy

Cheers
7th September 2012, 11:01 PM |#9  
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 851

More
You getting more battery after 3 days could quite simply be due to the fact that you flashed new firmware and it always takes a few days for the kernel and modem to 'settle in'. You will never get a true indication of battery drain straight after flashing firmware.

And to the guy above who said he can use his phone the whole day and it never falls below 75%, wow!
I would love to know what firmware, kernel/modem combo you're using.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)