[TIPS] The Best Way to Calibrate our S2 Battery ! [No root needed, Simple, Accurate]

Search This thread

ram3n

Nov 16, 2010
Guys,

Here is, I do think, an interesting topic about the famous eternal question :
"Please, tell me how to calibrate my f*** battery?!".

To begin with, here are some (fresh) news :
You have to know that our dear brand-new device uses new specific MAX17042 drivers which actually don't allow us to normally "calibrate" the battery as many of us could have imagined.

I quote Entropy512 :
Unlike HTC devices, battery calibration doesn't apply to our devices.

Google MAX17040 for more info - while our fuel gauge chip (MAX17042) does have advanced features that would require calibration if used, those features are not yet enabled and it basically behaves identically to a 17040. Maxim specifically designs their fuel gauge chips to not require special calibration procedures..
I mean here that using such applications like Battery Calibration (or anything else), or manually delete Batterystats.bin in data/system folder, or even wipe batterystats in recovery, all theses methods are actually .... useless and a waste!
In fact, the only effect you will notice by doing (deleting) it, is that you'll reset your usage stats in the Android battery usage screen. Nothing else, sorry.

The only current way I've found up to now, is to force the internal chip to do it and therefore reset the fuel-gauge.

Here is a very simple method. Keep in mind that's not the only way :
BTW, no root needed here

1. Turn off your phone.
2. Fully Charge.
3. When getting 100% signal, unplug quickly.
4. Pull off the battery and put it anywhere.
5. Wait for 180 seconds exactly (be careful :D)
6. Meanwhile, take this opportunity to dust off the internal compartment.
7. Put back the battery on the right side.
8. Turn on the phone.
9. Pray the Battery god
10. ... and voilà !

After that, you can make some cycle of fully charge/discharge to ~15/20% TO complete the method :D

I am pleased to share my experience about it.
Hope it could help most of people,

Cheers :D:D

Last edited:

fasst

Feb 20, 2008
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I did excatly what you wrote, 100%, pull out cable, pull out batterry, wait min. 90 sec.
But when I turn the phone on the battery shows only 96%?

ram3n

Nov 16, 2010
I did excatly what you wrote, 100%, pull out cable, pull out batterry, wait min. 90 sec.

Are you sure that you have fully charged before unplugging ?
Anyway, If you had well done, just use normally your phone to notice if battery drain is correct, and do a cycle of charge and discharge.

BTW, after doing this method, my battery shows 100%, so I'm sure your battery wasn't 100% fully charged :D

fasst

Feb 20, 2008
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Yes I'm sure I got the 100% pling the first time.
Charged from 96 to 100 again and did the procedure again and got 100%.

Btw.
If someone knows the max. (fully charged) capacity of the Samsung original 2000mAh pack in mv (4192mV ?) and min. when the phone turne itself off (2800mV ?) I would like to know.
The values will probably be different from packs to packs but approx. values is ok.

Reactions: scandiun

AndroidGX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
★ Montpellier ★

About the 96% battery charge it's a known Galaxy SII problem, which has never been solved.

Sometimes you charge to 100%, and sometimes 96% (hiden right after a 100% charge).
You must live actually with this if you want to continue the adventure with your SGSII :D

ram3n

Nov 16, 2010

Btw.
If someone knows the max. (fully charged) capacity of the Samsung original 2000mAh pack in mv (4192mV ?) and min. when the phone turne itself off (2800mV ?) I would like to know.
The values will probably be different from packs to packs but approx. values is ok.

I am using "old" official 1650 mAh battery, and max capacity is 4202 mV for me :D
So, I think you can consider it's about 4200 mV.

diego1664

May 30, 2009
Like you know, i've put the new checkROM on my device. Should i calibrate your way before restoring my backup or after ? Does it matter ?

Merci :)

ram3n

Nov 16, 2010
Like you know, i've put the new checkROM on my device. Should i calibrate your way before restoring my backup or after ? Does it matter ?

Merci :)

AFAIK, it doesn't matter at all, just make sure that you have restored good files :D (2.3.5 with 2.3.5 ones)

After running TitaniumBack Pro, you can calibrate your battery if needed, then enjoy this amazing ROM !:rolleyes:

mime103

Oct 15, 2011
It is recommended to calibrate your battery every time you change your rom (after).
There are some apps in the market but you need to be root.
With this system no root is needed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys,

Here is, I do think, an interesting topic about the famous eternal question :
    "Please, tell me how to calibrate my f*** battery?!".

To begin with, here are some (fresh) news :
    You have to know that our dear brand-new device uses new specific MAX17042 drivers which actually don't allow us to normally "calibrate" the battery as many of us could have imagined.

I quote Entropy512 :
    Unlike HTC devices, battery calibration doesn't apply to our devices.

Google MAX17040 for more info - while our fuel gauge chip (MAX17042) does have advanced features that would require calibration if used, those features are not yet enabled and it basically behaves identically to a 17040. Maxim specifically designs their fuel gauge chips to not require special calibration procedures..
    I mean here that using such applications like Battery Calibration (or anything else), or manually delete Batterystats.bin in data/system folder, or even wipe batterystats in recovery, all theses methods are actually .... useless and a waste!
    In fact, the only effect you will notice by doing (deleting) it, is that you'll reset your usage stats in the Android battery usage screen. Nothing else, sorry.

The only current way I've found up to now, is to force the internal chip to do it and therefore reset the fuel-gauge.

Here is a very simple method. Keep in mind that's not the only way :
    BTW, no root needed here

1. Turn off your phone.
    2. Fully Charge.
    3. When getting 100% signal, unplug quickly.
    4. Pull off the battery and put it anywhere.
    5. Wait for 180 seconds exactly (be careful :D)
    6. Meanwhile, take this opportunity to dust off the internal compartment.
    7. Put back the battery on the right side.
    8. Turn on the phone.
    9. Pray the Battery god
    10. ... and voilà !

After that, you can make some cycle of fully charge/discharge to ~15/20% TO complete the method :D

I am pleased to share my experience about it.
    Hope it could help most of people,

Cheers :D:D

Btw.
    This is standard for Lithium-Ion batteries (of most chemistries - there are exceptions, but our device is not one of them.)

The standard charge cycle for a Li-Ion is as follows:
    Constant current (aka current-limited) initially, until battery voltage reaches approximately 4.2 volts.
    Once the battery hits 4.2 volts, it is constant-voltage (battery his held at 4.2 volts)
    Charge termination is done by monitoring the charge current in the CV phase. Once the current drops to around C/10 (e.g. 165 mA for most GSIIs), the charger is shut off. I need to double-check this number.

It is recommended to calibrate your battery every time you change your rom (after).
    There are some apps in the market but you need to be root.
    With this system no root is needed.
    As the original post hinted, and I have confirmed by reading kernel source - this advice is applicable to most HTC Android devices, and other devices (such as the Galaxy Tab 10.1) that have "coulomb counter" type fuel gauges. These measure the current in/out of the battery periodically and sum it up - Slowly, their estimate of state of charge will "drift", which is why they occasionally need to be recalibrated.

The Maxim fuel gauge IC used in first-gen GalaxyS devices needs no calibration, and in fact, is designed specifically to be "convergent" rather than "divergent" - i.e. if it is initially "uncalibrated", it will converge on a correct state of charge estimate after a few hours, regardless of initial conditions. See http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/6621

The MAX17042 in the GSII (I9100 and I777, probably SPH-D710 also) is an improved version of the 17040. While it does, unlike its predecessors, have a current measurement function, it is not used right now (see kernel sources) - so it's functionally almost identical to the 17040 for us.

This fuel gauge assumes the battery is in a "relaxed" state initially - so ideally, if you want the best "calibration" - pull the battery for an hour or so, so that it is "relaxed". If this seems to long to you - overnight idle drain will be low enough that any State of Charge (SoC) estimates will converge, regardless of initial conditions.
    Is suggest, do a full cycle (0-5% to 100% charge) each one month, fo rbetter battery life.-

I would not suggest this as it is a very good way to kill your battery. I will give you guys some facts about Li-Ion batteries, and dispel some of the myths that are floating around XDA (& the web).

First off the battery (well more correctly the chip associated with the battery) CAN NOT be re-calibrated on our phones. The only thing you can affect is how the ROM/Kernel interprets the information the battery gives it.

You should also never let your phone fully discharge, as this is the absolute worst thing you can do to a Li-Ion battery as it causes instability within the batteries molecular structure. In fact, keeping the battery above the 10% mark at all times is probably the best way to prolong battery life.

Giving the "battery" a few cycles after flashing a new ROM/Kernel to let things smooth out (or however you want to put it) has always puzzled me as to where this came from. Flashing a ROM/Kernel does nothing to the battery (or the chip associated with the battery). If the BatteryStats.bin file was erased during flashing then battery history will be lost and that's it. Reboot's of the phone are more likely to "smooth" out battery life than charging "cycles". Li-Ion batteries have a very linear lifespan (they will keep the same output all the way until they suddenly die), so every charge "cycle" is the same output wise for the battery. If it seems to drain faster from one "cycle" to the next, this is most likely a usage (apps, hardware, or user usage drain) rather than anything to do with the battery itself.

The chip associated with the battery is built into the battery itself. In this way it is always powered. The only time it is not powered is when the battery is dead. This is why when Li-Ion batteries die they will no longer charge, as the chip does not report back to the charger, and so the charger stops supplying current. Much like how the charger stops charging once the battery is full (it will flick on and off to keep the battery at 100%, which is why sometimes it will say fully charged, then when unplugged may only say 98% or something like that.

Instances where a huge battery loss is noted after a reboot or power off/on and then the battery level "mysteriously" increases is most likely caused by a temporary issue with the batteries chip. Many things can cause this like temperature difference, or just the chip getting itself caught up. This is unfortunately a downfall of mass-manufacturing, but does not affect battery life in any way. The chip should output the correct level after it clears itself up again (the mysterious increases).

There are many weird and wonderful side effects that come with "smart" batteries. And while technically the method stated in this thread actually achieves nothing, the "placebo" effect that it has is well worth giving it a go anyway. So long as you don't let your battery fully discharge it wont do any harm either.

Just keep in mind that the above applies to our SGS2 devices specifically. Some other phone models have batteries whose chips can be re-calibrated which is where I would say all the talk of doing it for our phones came from ;-)

One last thing, before the haters start flaming me for dispelling myths.. I am a trained electrical engineer that has spent the time researching and working closely with different battery technologies, and am only offering these facts to help you. I am not trying to attack anyone or call them liars, just wanting to offer up the facts for people :)
    I want my 2 minutes of life back... what a stupid post...

:)

About the 96% battery charge it's a known Galaxy SII problem, which has never been solved.

Sometimes you charge to 100%, and sometimes 96% (hiden right after a 100% charge).
    You must live actually with this if you want to continue the adventure with your SGSII :D