Post Reply Email Thread
How to get your rooted Galaxy S II I9100 back to complete stock

This means that you will have:
  • Stock Bootloader
  • Stock ROM
  • Flash Counter Set To Zero
  • Stock Recovery

INTRODUCTION:

So, the vibration on my SGS2 is broken, but I also rooted my phone, because, well, Samsung TouchWiz sucks. So anyway, being pedantic old me, I wanted to develop a method to reset my phone ENTIRELY to stock so that I could send it off to get repaired. I have found this method.

My main problem derived from the fact that USB Jigs no longer work on ICS which is irritating because I only just got it. I made this guide so there is finally something on the Internet where all the information is in one place.

NB: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU DOING ANYTHING TO YOUR GALAXY S II AND THAT INCLUDES BRICKING THE DEVICE. YOU ARE DOING THIS WITH FULL-KNOWLEDGE OF ANY DAMAGE THAT COULD POSSIBLY BE DONE TO YOUR PHONE.

NB: ROMs like I9100XWLPM and I9100XXLQ5 are vulnerable to the eMMC bug and that willl brick your phone if you do a wipe/factory reset with CMW (probably stock too) Thanks cpl.Bower

Here's your shopping list:
  • A Windows PC or if you have a Mac, a Windows Virtual Machine (haven't used a vitual machine so not sure if it works, but give it a try and let me know!)
  • Odin which you can get here.
  • Chainfire's Triangle Away Application which you can get here or on the android market if you feel you want to donate to him.
  • ClockworkMod ROM Manager you can get here (I would highly doubt that as root user you don't have this)
  • Download your corresponding Stock Kernel from here.
So here is the method:

1) Open Chainfire's Triangle Away app and press "Reset flash counter" to reset the counter and remove the triangle. It does not matter if there is no triangle already.

2) Do a nandroid backup using Clockworkmod recovery if necessary (to get to it; turn off your phone, press the power button, volume up button, and home button at the same time and hold it down for a while). This is done so that you can restore your original OS like I would want to after getting my phone back from Samsung if you're restoring it for that sole purpose.

3) (Mandatory) Wipe Data/Factory Reset in recovery menu. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, YOUR PHONE WILL BECOME STUCK ON THE "S" LOADING SCREEN. You also should wipe the cache partition and the internal SD card. The internal SD card in case you have any directories which may link you to rooting your phone, such as clockwork mod.

4) Restart into Download Mode and plug your phone into a windows computer.

5) Open Odin , click PDA, choose the STOCK kernel. Make sure that F. Reset Time, Auto Reboot and the PDA checkboxes are checked and NOTHING ELSE.

6) Click Start. The phone will restart now. It takes a while to load up as the applications need to install. Keep an eye on the phone, it'll ask you for your carrier. This does NOT mean the phone will be locked to a network.

7) Follow the instructions and set your phone up.

8) ???????

9) PROFIT

10) (Optional) You may want to check to see if your phone is set to stock to confirm. I cannot guarantee 100% that there will be no evidence of root on your phone, but hey, I still got warranty service after doing something similar to this on the old firmware.

To check to see if your flash counter is set to zero: hold down the power button, volume down button and home button until a "Warning!!" screen appears. Press volume up and make sure it says CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO and CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL. You may also want to make sure that there is no warning triangle on the first screen when you start your phone

To check to see if your recovery is set to stock: hold down the power button, volume up button and the home button until your phone goes black after the first boot screen. To make sure it is stock, there should be no "CWM-based Recovery" at the top or anything indicating clockworkmod or any other custom recovery.

Any errors in the process (besides the one in the Q&A), I may not know what you have done. I have done this with my phone and it worked fine.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE AND THANK ME

Q&A:

Q: I'm stuck on the "S" loading screen, what did I do wrong?
A: You didn't do a factory reset! To fix this, turn off your phone, go to recovery, wipe the data, reflash with the stock kernel and it'll be okay. If not, I have no idea what's wrong.

Q: How do I get to recovery?
A: Turn off your phone and hold down the power/sleep button, the volume up button and the home button at the same time until the first boot logo goes black, then you need to let go.

Q: DUDE, THIS TUTORIAL IS AWESOME, HOW CAN I EVER REPAY YOU OH MIGHTY MIKE?!
A: Rate this thread 5 stars and thank me.

Thanks for reading
The Following 89 Users Say Thank You to MiKenning For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MiKenning Ad-Free

13th May 2012, 09:44 AM |#2  
OP Member
Flag Swansea
Thanks Meter: 101

More
If anyone can give feedback when they try this, I'd be thankful

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiKenning For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MiKenning Ad-Free
13th May 2012, 10:18 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3,252

More
Good job

If I were sending a phone in for warranty service/replacement, I'd go a step further with the factory reset & format cache, data, system, & internal sd card in CWM, then flash stock rom in Odin, then Triangle Away (If flashing stock ICS and assuming you have new bootloader) or flash old bootloader & use jig (if flashing stock GB).

Edit to add - Obviously also do a Nandroid before the above steps so you can get up & running when you get your phone back/new phone as you said :)
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MistahBungle Ad-Free
13th May 2012, 11:09 AM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Swansea

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle

Good job

If I were sending a phone in for warranty service/replacement, I'd go a step further with the factory reset & format cache, data, system, & internal sd card in CWM, then flash stock rom in Odin, then Triangle Away (If flashing stock ICS and assuming you have new bootloader) or flash old bootloader & use jig (if flashing stock GB).

Edit to add - Obviously also do a Nandroid before the above steps so you can get up & running when you get your phone back/new phone as you said :)

Ah yes, I remember wiping cache and dalvik cache too I will be sure to edit my post to add that! The internal SD card's contents may give away root, haha! I'll be sure to add that too! Thanks a lot, I'll credit you!

The Following User Says Thank You to MiKenning For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MiKenning Ad-Free
13th May 2012, 11:31 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3,252

More
Nah, not wiping cache/Dalvik, actually formatting the cache partition in CWRecovery. And yeah, if you want to be absolutely sure; well as sure as possible in any event; you can't get a 100% guarantee of warranty service once you've gone down the custom firmware route, formatting the internal SD card should get rid of any potentially 'incriminating evidence'

No need to credit me, it's your guide, you deserve the credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKenning

Ah yes, I remember wiping cache and dalvik cache too I will be sure to edit my post to add that! The internal SD card's contents may give away root, haha! I'll be sure to add that too! Thanks a lot, I'll credit you!

13th May 2012, 11:58 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Swansea

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle

Nah, not wiping cache/Dalvik, actually formatting the cache partition in CWRecovery. And yeah, if you want to be absolutely sure; well as sure as possible in any event; you can't get a 100% guarantee of warranty service once you've gone down the custom firmware route, formatting the internal SD card should get rid of any potentially 'incriminating evidence'

No need to credit me, it's your guide, you deserve the credit

Ah right sorry, I misunderstood you haha! Well, I rooted my phone before and I honestly couldn't find a trace of root and got warranty service, but you never know!

I actually got warranty service while my HTC Wildfire was rooted, so I never see at as impossible!

I shall correct the mistakes, thank you once again
The Following User Says Thank You to MiKenning For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MiKenning Ad-Free
13th May 2012, 09:40 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
My method
Seeing as I bought the USB jig, I prefer to just do a full, thorough wipe as described above, then flash back to stock GB. A quick plug in of the old jig and it's clean. Also, the warnings about messing with bootloaders being a gateway to a fully bricked device put me off.
This thread is a great idea, though. I had to trawl over so many sites to find information about things like this. Good work.
The Following User Says Thank You to scayre32 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scayre32 Ad-Free
13th May 2012, 09:59 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Swansea

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scayre32

Seeing as I bought the USB jig, I prefer to just do a full, thorough wipe as described above, then flash back to stock GB. A quick plug in of the old jig and it's clean. Also, the warnings about messing with bootloaders being a gateway to a fully bricked device put me off.
This thread is a great idea, though. I had to trawl over so many sites to find information about things like this. Good work.

Yeah, I don't think the bootloader flash is entirely necessary, I may point that out on the method...

And thank you, i made this thread for that very reason

14th May 2012, 12:22 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Great guide, and just in time too. My SGS2 seems to have launched itself into its deathbed less than a week after the ICS update here in Australia. Battery life is barely holding overnight.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Squiddo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Squiddo Ad-Free
14th May 2012, 03:49 AM |#10  
Flag Brasília
Thanks Meter: 1,203

More
What are the benefits of flashing the ICS bootloader?
14th May 2012, 07:12 AM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Swansea

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKTaiL

What are the benefits of flashing the ICS bootloader?

I put it there because it is the stock Bootloader for ICS... I had it at my disposal because I was going to flash an older bootloader so I could use USB jig and then flash back to the stock with the bootloader in the download section.

Honestly, unless you flashed some other bootloader, I wouldn't bother with it. It makes no difference really, I managed to get back to stock without doing that

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
unroot sgs2 galaxy odin stock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)