"USB cb wake lock" "vbus_present" etc. battery charging when unplugged.

Search This thread
"USB cb wake lock" "vbus_present" etc. battery charging when unplugged.

Hi All,

This is not a question, its something I want to share as I searched a lot and read a lot on this.

After flashing a 300+ roms without a problem, my S2 decided that it was going to suddenly and randomly act up.

The battery acted as if if was charging when unplugged. Betterbattery stats showed "USB cb wake lock" + "vbus_present" using massive amounts of battery.

I flashed a few stock roms, some custom and many kernels with ODIN but nothing fixed it.

Eventually I had 8-9 back ups on my phone and I tried each of these but the error continued in all but one. After days of frustration I was beginning to think it was a hardware USB issue that I need to replace the part. But no, one of the restore fixed it.

It started acting up today but I cleared battery stats and fixed permissions and all is well again.

Not sure why this randomly happened but I wanted to share this as many are of the opinion its always a hardware issue and needs replacing when clearly there are exceptions to this.

If anyone understand why the above worked, I would appreciate comments as there are some very clever people here and I am sure some of you have fixed this issue.

Thanks.

Coirpre

Dec 8, 2011
My two cents on how or what is happening, however not on the software side: Some people with the same issue report that cleaning the USB-port with a toothbrush or any soft brush helped, and sometimes the issue appears or disappears randomly. I guess that the USB connector is badly soldered/mounted onto the board. This could explain why the issue comes and goes, because if the connector gets pushed/pulled in the right direction, the port could reconnect.

I had the same issue, the wakelocks, 'charging' written on the lockscreen, and every now and then the 'charger connected' sound. However flashing, batterystats-wiping and whatnot did not help. Only when I exchanged the board in the lower end (where the USB connector is) with one I had lying around the issue disappeared and has in the two months since never reappeared.

If this keeps happening, it could be worth a try, and it is quite easy to do. There is a very nice photo guide on here somewhere on replacing the screen, it explains it all and is no different for the USB-connector. It also is a possibility, if you don't mind the trouble, to reflash to stock and let the phone be repaired at a service centre.

If you need help or the link to the photo guide, I might still have it somewhere.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Too51oll
My two cents on how or what is happening, however not on the software side: Some people with the same issue report that cleaning the USB-port with a toothbrush or any soft brush helped, and sometimes the issue appears or disappears randomly. I guess that the USB connector is badly soldered/mounted onto the board. This could explain why the issue comes and goes, because if the connector gets pushed/pulled in the right direction, the port could reconnect.

I had the same issue, the wakelocks, 'charging' written on the lockscreen, and every now and then the 'charger connected' sound. However flashing, batterystats-wiping and whatnot did not help. Only when I exchanged the board in the lower end (where the USB connector is) with one I had lying around the issue disappeared and has in the two months since never reappeared.

If this keeps happening, it could be worth a try, and it is quite easy to do. There is a very nice photo guide on here somewhere on replacing the screen, it explains it all and is no different for the USB-connector. It also is a possibility, if you don't mind the trouble, to reflash to stock and let the phone be repaired at a service centre.

If you need help or the link to the photo guide, I might still have it somewhere.

I hope this helps.

Very much appreciate your reply and you could be right about the bad soldering issue, I am going to order the part anyway and have it on stand by.

It was strange that all of the roms, kernels and backups did not work except one. I did the port cleaning and all that too but to no avail but it might be all coincidence that it worked with the backup for a finish. which reminds me, I better change my signature :eek:

Thanks or your reply and for your offer to help, it is much appreciated. Thankfully its running butter smoothe at present and I wonder if the USB port is susceptible to moisture too, which might be my issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I hope this helps.