FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Only using data/internet with 'H' or 'H+', not 3G

184 posts
Thanks Meter: 41

By AXIS of Reality, Senior Member on 13th May 2011, 09:25 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Something strange I've noticed with my Galaxy S II is that data / internet will only work if the 'H' (for HSDPA) is in the status bar, but not with '3G' there...the green arrow will appear next to the 3G when I try to connect to something but it will just time out unless it happens to switch to 'H'.

Anyone know why this would be? Is only the HSDPA network working with my phone, but regular 3G won't?

13th May 2011, 10:21 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
It is possible that the 3G cells in your area are fully loaded with users.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
13th May 2011, 10:25 AM |#3  

More
nvm

i didn't read it well
13th May 2011, 12:15 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Same problem here, on 3.

Wondered if it was the phone or the network! If it's a problem with the phone it'll be fixable/covered by warranty though, right?
13th May 2011, 12:39 PM |#5  
Flag Burton-On-Trent,UK
Thanks Meter: 79

Donate to Me
More
Same here, it sits on 3g then i try to load a page etc and it goes to h like it carnt use 3g , im on t mobile and they have full coverage where i am

13th May 2011, 02:02 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 41

More
I found an older thread that says it's a feature, keeping the phone in 3G mode to save battery until you do something that requires data which switches it over to H. I've kept a closer eye on my phone and that does seem to be what it's doing, usually taking a second or two to switch over each time I use data.

However, there have still been some times where it stays on 3G and is unable to load data.
13th May 2011, 02:10 PM |#7  
Flag Burton-On-Trent,UK
Thanks Meter: 79

Donate to Me
More
Yeah i think your right and also it does not change sometimes and kinda hangs, be nice for it to switch over to H abit faster without battery drain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIS of Reality

I found an older thread that says it's a feature, keeping the phone in 3G mode to save battery until you do something that requires data which switches it over to H. I've kept a closer eye on my phone and that does seem to be what it's doing, usually taking a second or two to switch over each time I use data.

However, there have still been some times where it stays on 3G and is unable to load data.

31st May 2011, 05:08 PM |#8  

More
I have the same issue with my phone to on t-mobile, not working on 3g then working on H.

It is a right pain to be honest.

No way of stopping this battery save? I would rather use more battery.
31st May 2011, 05:30 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
It's the network. I have no explanation but only Edge and HSDPA work whether on Samsung or Nokia.
31st May 2011, 05:33 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Just tested, this does not occur for me, at least right here, right now. Comfortably loading pages on Google with just 3G signal (T-Mobile UK).

It's faster when I stand on my bed upstairs for HSDPA but 3G does work. Stock firmware from T-Mob, no modifications.
31st May 2011, 05:47 PM |#11  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIS of Reality

Something strange I've noticed with my Galaxy S II is that data / internet will only work if the 'H' (for HSDPA) is in the status bar, but not with '3G' there...the green arrow will appear next to the 3G when I try to connect to something but it will just time out unless it happens to switch to 'H'.

Anyone know why this would be? Is only the HSDPA network working with my phone, but regular 3G won't?

Hey mate,

I have the galaxy s i9000, with optus here in sydney. same problem, only switches to "H" when i make some sort of data request (load a page, open an app that uses internet), it takes a couple of seconds to switch from 3G to H. Sometimes, it keeps flicking back and forth between 3G and H like its having problems connecting to H

I complained to optus, they reckon i'm lying. Go figure.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)